Predictions

Old January 2nd 20, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Predictions

"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future." - Yogi Berra

But that doesn't stop Jan Heine from trying. Here's his effort for
January 2, 2020:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/blog/

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 2nd 20, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/2/2020 10:46 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the
future." - Yogi Berra

But that doesn't stop Jan Heine from trying. Here's his
effort for January 2, 2020:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/blog/

Great minds think alike. I posted that at the same time as you.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 2nd 20, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, January 2, 2020 at 5:46:45 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future." - Yogi Berra

But that doesn't stop Jan Heine from trying. Here's his effort for
January 2, 2020:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/blog/

--
- Frank Krygowski

Predictions or wishful thinking? We will see. As long as there is a choice I'm good.

Lou
Old January 2nd 20, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 02/01/2020 16.46, Frank Krygowski wrote:
"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future."Â* - Yogi
Berra

But that doesn't stop Jan Heine from trying. Here's his effort for
January 2, 2020:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/blog/

The only things I reckon he has right are wide tyres and e-bikes, and
around my way he's two years behind the times on both, so it wasn't hard.
Old January 2nd 20, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, January 2, 2020 at 7:08:34 PM UTC, Tosspot wrote:
On 02/01/2020 16.46, Frank Krygowski wrote:
"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future."Â* - Yogi
Berra

But that doesn't stop Jan Heine from trying. Here's his effort for
January 2, 2020:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/blog/

The only things I reckon he has right are wide tyres and e-bikes, and
around my way he's two years behind the times on both, so it wasn't hard.

Round my way Heine is ten years behind the times. And that's for 60mm tyres.. If you define "wide tyres" as 37mm and up, as someone just did on another forum I read, Heine is 30 years, a whole generation, behind my times.

Andre Jute
But then I'm so used to being out on the leading edge, I hardly notice unless someone observant makes the point
Old January 3rd 20, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, January 2, 2020 at 11:46:35 PM UTC+1, Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, January 2, 2020 at 7:08:34 PM UTC, Tosspot wrote:
On 02/01/2020 16.46, Frank Krygowski wrote:
"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future."Â* - Yogi
Berra

But that doesn't stop Jan Heine from trying. Here's his effort for
January 2, 2020:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/blog/

The only things I reckon he has right are wide tyres and e-bikes, and
around my way he's two years behind the times on both, so it wasn't hard.

Round my way Heine is ten years behind the times. And that's for 60mm tyres. If you define "wide tyres" as 37mm and up, as someone just did on another forum I read, Heine is 30 years, a whole generation, behind my times.

Use the tire width suited for your riding style and road conditions you ride on. It has always been like that. Never used tires less than 2 and 2.5 inch wide on my ATB's. Never used tires less than 32 mm wide on my commuter. The difference might be that at the moment you can good quality wider tires.. Don't understand the whole fuss about tire width.

Lou
Old January 3rd 20, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, January 2, 2020 at 6:23:05 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

For a while, the fuss was "No, of course you can't put 28s on that bike. It's
designed for 25s. It doesn't have clearance for 28s."

I remember asking what could possibly be the advantage in designing a bike to
prohibit reasonable tire choices. I don't remember any reasonable answers.

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 3rd 20, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 17:02:28 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

No advantage, per se, but a fork a great deal larger than the tire
does look sort of "dorkie" and, for the weight weenies, there is a
very small weight advantage to the narrower crown.

Remember that "back in the day" narrow tires were pretty much
"standard". I used to use "sew ups" that might have been 23mm and I
have seem but never used 19mm tires :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old January 3rd 20, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, January 2, 2020 at 11:23:05 PM UTC, wrote:
[...]

"Don't understand the whole fuss about tire width." This surprises me. It isn't the width by itself, it is the width and the associated possibility of lowering the pressure that comes with width, seriously increasing the rider's comfort. There are additional benefits of greater tyre width and lower pressure, for instance decreased rolling resistance. One interrelated result that interests me particularly --because in automobiles my primary interest was in suspensions -- is the noticeably better roadholding and handling characteristics of the wider and less highly pressurised tyres as compared to those which are narrower and more highly inflated.

Andre Jute
I'll try anything once
Old January 3rd 20, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, January 3, 2020 at 1:02:33 AM UTC, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Objectively a few grammes may be saved in that a narrower fork crown will require less length of metal. An obsessed weight weenie might consider that important.

Andre Jute
Not a weight weenie

TdF predictions? Alan[_9_] Racing 5 July 28th 19 10:15 AM
24h predictions [email protected] Racing 4 June 10th 08 08:46 AM
any predictions? Andre Racing 4 September 1st 07 02:52 PM
Predictions please. [email protected] Racing 30 June 26th 07 10:15 AM
Predictions Tom Kunich Racing 17 March 17th 06 06:30 AM