Kirsten Gum's 2004 performance enhancements

Old April 26th 04, 04:09 PM
Tom Nakashima

Default Mt Hamilton Challenge (was Kirsten Gum)

"John Michaels" wrote in message
. com...
Looks like the weather conditions are getting better. Friend rode up
there on Wednesday morning. Told me it was 44 degrees and misty. Makes
for a very cold descent.

It was a perfect day for the Mt. Hamilton Challenge.
126.9 miles total. Started at 6:30am
At mile 18.1, I registered the coldest at 53 degrees, 945 ft. altitude.
The hottest I registered was 93 degrees at mile 64.3, 2230 ft. altitude.
Mt. Hamilton summit was at mile 35.2 (1st rest stop)
2nd rest stop was at mile 63.1
Unfortunately, the 2nd rest stop was the hottest and there was no shade or
no place to sit. Lots of dusty butts, but didn't hear any complaints either.
A beautiful ride in all.
-tom

Old April 26th 04, 08:37 PM
Jay Beattie

"Kiem Madvanen" wrote in message
om...
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message

. com...

(snip)

Highway 9 into Saratoga was my idea of a really boring descent.

Wide
open, gentle grading, smooth pavement, open turns (for the most

part).
Yawn.

No brakes. Woohoo. My family lived in Los Gatos from the 60's
to the early 90's, and I rode Highway 9 all the time. Not as
challenging as Page Mill, but shadier during the summer. I also
like that fern and redwood smell better than the bay and
eucalyptus smell. We all have our preferences. I have very
vivid recollections of riding up Highway 9 with Mike Engleman --
a guy who could climb like crazy. I felt like I was going flat.
I really miss all those classic climbs now that I live in
Portland. Sniff, sniff. -- Jay Beattie.

Old April 26th 04, 10:35 PM
Terry Morse

Tom Nakashima wrote:

It was a perfect day for the Mt. Hamilton Challenge.
126.9 miles total. Started at 6:30am
At mile 18.1, I registered the coldest at 53 degrees, 945 ft. altitude.
The hottest I registered was 93 degrees at mile 64.3, 2230 ft. altitude.
Mt. Hamilton summit was at mile 35.2 (1st rest stop)
2nd rest stop was at mile 63.1
Unfortunately, the 2nd rest stop was the hottest and there was no shade or
no place to sit. Lots of dusty butts, but didn't hear any complaints either.
A beautiful ride in all.

Yes, it was a great day for that ride. The climb up Mt. Hamilton at
about 8 AM was ideal. Cool temperature, a slight breeze, and
unlimited visibility.

Rest stop 2 was a bit dry and dusty, but the moo-ing cows made for
good company.

Way too many flat tires, though. Lots of glass.

Old April 26th 04, 10:44 PM
Tom Nakashima

wrote in message

I was most impressed that the drinking water spring at
MP3, where the big "3" is in the center of the road on the descent to
Isabel Creek, was once again repaired and is flowing fast with
beautiful ice cold spring water as it had done these many years in the
past. I don't know who fixed it but it is something that needs doing
annually after winter rains clog the intake in a concrete cistern under
lock and key a short way up the gulch. I presume this watering hole
was originally made available, as most on mountain roads, to refill
radiators. Friends and I have stopped there in the summer to drink
un-chlorinated pure ice cold water.

If it's the same watering hole I'm thinking of, it was fixed by Don Axtell
from the Almaden Cycling Touring Club on Easter Sunday. He's not only a
fantastic rider, but goes out of his way to help other cyclist. He wrote an
article on how he spent his Easter when he took his pick and shovel out and
cleared the path to get the water to flow.

http://www.campyonly.com/images/ride...GE0035_800.JPG

-tom