Noob Mechanic: Re 7 spd FWheel and Derailleur Compatibility

Old April 19th 04, 09:48 PM
xkred27

Default Noob Mechanic: Re 7 spd FWheel and Derailleur Compatibility

Howdy.

I've decided to use my ~1992 Bianchi Boardwalk as a science project/med
school cadaver for learning bike mechanics, focusing on expanding the
current gear range (27 - 93, give or take). Current setup:
- Suntour Powering chainring, 48-38-28
- Shimano MF-HG37 freewheel cluster, 14-16-18-20-22-24-28
- Derailleurs unknown. All identifying markings wiped out.

Questions:

1) Are the Shimano line of MegaRange 7-speed freewheel clusters shown at
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#7 compatible with my
current setup? I'm particularly interested in the 11-34, as I have some fair
hills where I live.
2) Can anyone give me a clue as to what derailleurs would be compatible with
either my current or propsed setup? Obviously, I know they have to be
7-speed compatible. I note that Shimano makes a Megarange line of
7-speed Deore rear derailleurs, so I assume (correctly?) these would work.
What other compat. issues should I be looking at?
3) Am I going to need a special puller to work on the freewheel?

Sorry if bozoid questions. Thanks.

--
Peter

Old April 19th 04, 10:01 PM
Sheldon Brown

xkred27 wrote:

I've decided to use my ~1992 Bianchi Boardwalk as a science project/med
school cadaver for learning bike mechanics, focusing on expanding the
current gear range (27 - 93, give or take). Current setup:
- Suntour Powering chainring, 48-38-28
- Shimano MF-HG37 freewheel cluster, 14-16-18-20-22-24-28
- Derailleurs unknown. All identifying markings wiped out.

Questions:

1) Are the Shimano line of MegaRange 7-speed freewheel clusters shown at
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#7 compatible with my
current setup? I'm particularly interested in the 11-34, as I have some fair
hills where I live.

Yes.

2) Can anyone give me a clue as to what derailleurs would be compatible with
either my current or propsed setup? Obviously, I know they have to be
7-speed compatible.

All derailers made in the last couple of decades are 7-speed compatible.

To handle the 34 tooth sprocket, you need a model with a long ("SGS")
cage. There's a good chance that your present one will work, I'd advise
trying it before spending money on a new derailer.

I note that Shimano makes a Megarange line of
7-speed Deore rear derailleurs, so I assume (correctly?) these would work.
What other compat. issues should I be looking at?

That's it.

3) Am I going to need a special puller to work on the freewheel?

Yes. Not all that special, actually, it's the most common type.

The Park FR-1 shown at
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools.html#freewheel would be the correct
unit.

Sheldon "Megarange" Brown
| "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a |
| thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that |
| cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be |
| impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams, RIP - HHGTTG |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old April 21st 04, 02:42 AM
xkred27

Sheldon Brown wrote:
Sheldon "Megarange" Brown

Thanks very much!

Peter

Old April 21st 04, 02:42 AM
xkred27

Sheldon Brown wrote:
Sheldon "Megarange" Brown

Thanks very much!

Peter

Old April 21st 04, 01:35 PM
dvt

xkred27 wrote:
Howdy.

I've decided to use my ~1992 Bianchi Boardwalk as a science project/med
school cadaver for learning bike mechanics, focusing on expanding the
current gear range (27 - 93, give or take). Current setup:
- Suntour Powering chainring, 48-38-28
- Shimano MF-HG37 freewheel cluster, 14-16-18-20-22-24-28
- Derailleurs unknown. All identifying markings wiped out.

Are the shifters made by Shimano? If so, then you're set with all of
Sheldon's answers.

If the shifters are non-Shimano, you might encounter compatibility
issues if you want to retain indexed shifting. Non-indexed shifting will
work fine with "unmatched" components.

--
Dave, who has Suntour 7-spd shifters from that era
dvt at psu dot edu

Old April 24th 04, 12:04 AM
xkred27

"dvt" wrote in message

Are the shifters made by Shimano? If so, then you're set with all of
Sheldon's answers.

If the shifters are non-Shimano, you might encounter compatibility
issues if you want to retain indexed shifting. Non-indexed shifting will
work fine with "unmatched" components.

--
Dave, who has Suntour 7-spd shifters from that era
dvt at psu dot edu

Dave,

Thanks for the heads-up. I actually ordered a pair of Shimano STX/Alivio
SL-MC40 RapidFire pods from Sheldon's site, as a nice-to-have upgrade, so I
hope these match up OK. And indeed the current shifters are Suntour X-press
Accushift(rear, indexed, 7-speed), Suntour X-press PowerControl (front), so
maybe swapping shifters is more necessity than nice-to-have.

Peter

Anti-spam:
a) Remove NS_
b) Replace 108 with cds1

Old April 24th 04, 12:07 AM
xkred27

"Sheldon Brown" wrote in message

To handle the 34 tooth sprocket, you need a model with a long ("SGS")
cage. There's a good chance that your present one will work, I'd advise
trying it before spending money on a new derailer.

I'm wondering if there's any way, via eyeball, ruler, caliper, or tea
leaves, to determine whether or not my derailleur is SGS?

Thanks.
--
Peter
Anti-spam: