Trek owns peloton a Tof G

Old April 23rd 04, 06:49 PM
David Kerber

Default Trek owns peloton a Tof G

In article ,
says...
Zeeexsixare wrote:
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
I think some CSCers used Cervelo's TT bikes even before they were a
sponsor, and of course there's the whole Huffy Team bikes thing,
where they simply farmed out the frame-making to a boutique company
and painted them up. Did Huffy sell team replicas at any point?

Replicas? Why own a replica when you can own the real thing? Ron
Hardin (who doesn't seem to frequent these parts as often as in the
past) has gotten amazing performance out of stock Huffy bikes. I

We should see Carl Fogel in these races soon then
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

There's a guy I've seen on Mt. Diablo a lot recently with a 7-Eleven
"Huffy" in perfect condition - he gets a lot of "knowing nods" but he
never sticks around to talk.

It always stumped me why Huffy would sponsor a pro bike team since I'm
sure no real cycling fans would buy one thinking it was hot stuff, and
the folks who would buy Huffys probably never saw any bike racing -
especially in those days when TV coverage was almost nonexistent. And
Murray sponsored Team 7-Eleven too for a while - I'm double stumped.
Maybe the CEO's were just magnanimous philanthropists.

More likely they _thought_ they would get some gain from it, but dropped
the sponsorship when the sales increses didn't materialize.

newsgroups if possible).
Old April 24th 04, 12:28 AM
gwhite

DiabloScott wrote:

It always stumped me why Huffy would sponsor a pro bike team...

Because marketing executives sometimes have their heads up their ass?
Old April 24th 04, 12:28 AM
gwhite

Old April 25th 04, 12:17 AM
Donald Gillies

DiabloScott writes:

There's a guy I've seen on Mt. Diablo a lot recently with a 7-Eleven
"Huffy" in perfect condition - he gets a lot of "knowing nods" but he
never sticks around to talk.

It always stumped me why Huffy would sponsor a pro bike team since I'm
sure no real cycling fans would buy one thinking it was hot stuff.

Huffy has always had aspirations in the high-end bicycle market. They
just never had any success.

Back in the 1960's, Huffy imported Carlton Handmade Cycles from
Britain, which was one of the largest custom builders in the UK at the
time, having just been bought by Raleigh. These were high quality 531
bikes with British, French, and Italian parts.

Carlton Cycles, ridden by the TI-Raleigh Cycling Team, won the tour de
france team standings in 1978, riding Raleigh Team Pros, which were
full super-record bikes made by Carlton in Workshop (or Ilkeston)
England.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Old April 30th 04, 04:25 PM
Doki

Donald Gillies wrote:
DiabloScott writes:

[...]

The town's called Worksop, not Workshop. It's a few miles up the road from
me, and is now the skag addict capital of the universe according to the
telly...