Flickstand

Old April 23rd 04, 01:37 AM
Kurd

Default Flickstand

What happened to these? If I were to find one, would it work with my
aluminum tubed commuter?

thanks

Old April 23rd 04, 04:26 PM
Arthur Harris

"Kurd" wrote:
What happened to these? If I were to find one, would it work with my
aluminum tubed commuter?

The flickstand was designed to fit the standard road bike down tube of that
era (1-1/8" diameter). It wouldn't fit a fat tube.

Art Harris

Old April 23rd 04, 05:12 PM
Sheldon Brown

Someone asked:

What happened to these? If I were to find one, would it work with my
aluminum tubed commuter?

Someone answered:

The flickstand was designed to fit the standard road bike down tube of that
era (1-1/8" diameter). It wouldn't fit a fat tube.

Actually, they were available toward the end in different models to fit
different sized down tubes. Anyway, they're extinct now.

Sheldon "Uses A Toe Strap On The Front Brake Lever" Brown
Newton, Massachusetts

Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old April 23rd 04, 09:30 PM
ZeeExSixAre

Sheldon Brown wrote:
Someone asked:

What happened to these? If I were to find one, would it work with my
aluminum tubed commuter?

Someone answered:

The flickstand was designed to fit the standard road bike down tube
of that era (1-1/8" diameter). It wouldn't fit a fat tube.

Actually, they were available toward the end in different models to
fit different sized down tubes. Anyway, they're extinct now.

Sheldon "Uses A Toe Strap On The Front Brake Lever" Brown
Newton, Massachusetts

Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a flickstand?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old April 23rd 04, 10:19 PM
Arthur Harris

"ZeeExSixAre" wrote:

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a flickstand?

It was a gizmo that clamped on your down tube and had a wire-type thingy
that pivoted. When you leaned your bike against a wall or tree, you pushed
the thingy down until it engaged your tire. Then your front wheel couldn't
turn or rotate, and your bike was less likely to fall over.

See:
http://i23.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/6e/96/15_1_b.JPG

Art Harris

Old April 23rd 04, 10:34 PM
Jay Beattie

"Arthur Harris" wrote in message
. ..
"ZeeExSixAre" wrote:

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a flickstand?

It was a gizmo that clamped on your down tube and had a

wire-type thingy
that pivoted. When you leaned your bike against a wall or tree,

you pushed
the thingy down until it engaged your tire. Then your front

wheel couldn't
turn or rotate, and your bike was less likely to fall over.

See:
http://i23.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/6e/96/15_1_b.JPG

Rhode Gear was the Wham-O of bicycle accessories. I kind of miss
all their gizmos, although I never bought any. -- Jay Beattie.