Flickstand

Old April 23rd 04, 10:34 PM
Jay Beattie

Default Flickstand

"Arthur Harris" wrote in message
. ..
"ZeeExSixAre" wrote:

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a flickstand?

It was a gizmo that clamped on your down tube and had a

wire-type thingy
that pivoted. When you leaned your bike against a wall or tree,

you pushed
the thingy down until it engaged your tire. Then your front

wheel couldn't
turn or rotate, and your bike was less likely to fall over.

See:
http://i23.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/6e/96/15_1_b.JPG

Rhode Gear was the Wham-O of bicycle accessories. I kind of miss
all their gizmos, although I never bought any. -- Jay Beattie.

Old April 23rd 04, 11:10 PM
Rick Onanian

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:34:45 -0700, "Jay Beattie"
wrote:
Rhode Gear was the Wham-O of bicycle accessories. I kind of miss
all their gizmos, although I never bought any. -- Jay Beattie.

They're still around. They sell mirrors and car-racks.
--
Rick Onanian

Old April 24th 04, 12:24 AM
Jay Beattie

wrote:
Rhode Gear was the Wham-O of bicycle accessories. I kind of

miss
all their gizmos, although I never bought any. -- Jay Beattie.

They're still around. They sell mirrors and car-racks.

Yah, but the Ron Popeils of Rhode Island that started the company
are long gone: the rack brand is owned by Bell Sports; the racks
are made by Yakima, and if the mirrors are current production
(and not NOS), then that means another company got off with that
portion of their brand and business. No more clamp on racks,
flick-stands, tool-pods, foam helmets, buzzer-horns, etc. -- Jay
Beattie.

Old April 24th 04, 01:29 AM
Ken

Rick Onanian wrote in
:
They're still around. They sell mirrors and car-racks.

www.rhodegear.com . Looks like they're owned by Yakima now.
Old April 24th 04, 01:29 AM
Ken

Rick Onanian wrote in
:

Old April 24th 04, 03:33 AM
A Muzi

"Kurd" wrote:
What happened to these? If I were to find one, would it work with my
aluminum tubed commuter?

Arthur Harris wrote:
The flickstand was designed to fit the standard road bike down tube of that
era (1-1/8" diameter). It wouldn't fit a fat tube.

They were made in an oversize format for fat downtubes at
one time

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old April 24th 04, 04:11 AM
S o r n i

ZeeExSixAre wrote:

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a flickstand?

That's when a guy in front of you balances motionless on his bike and shoots
a booger at you.

Bill "slow night" S.