creaking, ticking sound with certain rear cogs

Old April 24th 04, 09:49 PM
Stefan Geysen

Default creaking, ticking sound with certain rear cogs

Hello,

I'm experiencing an annoying problem with a 10 month old "Diamant Albon"
racebike with Campagnolo Veloce 9-speed group (triple front chainring).
There is a creaking, ticking noice, it sounds a bit like a loose saddle or
spoke, but it only manifests itself on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th smallest cog
(doesn't matter which front chainring is selected and is there whether I'm
in the saddle or not, but stops when I stop pedaling). A bit of searching on
the net suggests the cassette lockring could use some tightening, any other
suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Stefan

Old April 24th 04, 10:21 PM
daveornee

Stefan Geysen wrote:
Hello,
I'm experiencing an annoying problem with a 10 month old "Diamant Albon"
racebike with Campagnolo Veloce 9-speed group (triple front chainring).
There is a creaking, ticking noice, it sounds a bit like a loose saddle
or spoke, but it only manifests itself on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th smallest
cog (doesn't matter which front chainring is selected and is there
whether I'm in the saddle or not, but stops when I stop pedaling). A bit
of searching on the net suggests the cassette lockring could use some
tightening, any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Stefan

I think you are on the right track. I would also pull the casette an
put a very light coat of grease on the cassette body. Make sure tha
everything goes on in the correct orientation and with the spacer
correctly placed. Also give the threads of the cassette lockring
coating of grease before torquing it to specification. Make sure tha
the casette cogs are all secure... if you have a chain whip you can pu
some leverage into each cog... just to make sure
http://www.chainreaction.com/noises.ht
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/...queaking.shtml ar
worth a look as well

-

Old April 25th 04, 12:20 PM
Bert L.am

"Stefan Geysen" schreef in bericht
Hello,

I'm experiencing an annoying problem with a 10 month old "Diamant Albon"
racebike with Campagnolo Veloce 9-speed group (triple front chainring).
There is a creaking, ticking noice, it sounds a bit like a loose saddle or
spoke, but it only manifests itself on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th smallest cog
(doesn't matter which front chainring is selected and is there whether I'm
in the saddle or not, but stops when I stop pedaling). A bit of searching

on
the net suggests the cassette lockring could use some tightening, any

other
suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Stefan

Then try to tighten it and report the result.
It may also be the body of the cassette. Remove the cassette with the
appropriate tool and turn the body and hold it close to the ear.

Bert L.

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

Old April 25th 04, 02:53 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

stefg- There is a creaking, ticking noice, it sounds a bit like a loose
saddle or
spoke, but it only manifests itself on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th smallest cog
BRBR

a wee bit of grease on the outside of the freehub and tighten the lockring
tight!!

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old April 25th 04, 02:53 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

stefg- There is a creaking, ticking noice, it sounds a bit like a loose
saddle or
spoke, but it only manifests itself on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th smallest cog
BRBR

a wee bit of grease on the outside of the freehub and tighten the lockring
tight!!

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

stem/headset interface makes creaking sound wle Techniques 1 April 13th 04 04:46 AM
Mysterious Creaking...Please HELP! CycleSteve Techniques 3 August 22nd 03 03:36 PM
Shimano 105 rear derailleur weird specs Grenouil Techniques 6 August 10th 03 02:14 PM
Braking Technique asqui Racing 55 July 25th 03 04:16 PM
Suntour rear cogs cassette removal problem Roger Ehrlich - CSCI/F1998 Techniques 5 July 24th 03 11:24 PM