Torque specs

Old April 25th 04, 01:28 AM
David Kerber

Default Torque specs

Can somebody point to me a source for typical recommended torque specs
for things like chainring bolts, crank bolts, etc? I've checked the
usual source (sheldonbrown.com), but can't seem to find it.

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old April 25th 04, 01:33 AM
Ken

David Kerber wrote in news:MPG.1af4d03cf1976588989966
@news.ids.net:

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/torque.shtml
http://bike.shimano.com/

Old April 25th 04, 05:28 AM
Werehatrack

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 20:28:54 -0400, David Kerber
may have said:

Can somebody point to me a source for typical recommended torque specs
for things like chainring bolts, crank bolts, etc? I've checked the
usual source (sheldonbrown.com), but can't seem to find it.

Someone else has already provided the link to Park. I'll point out
that they don't tell you some of the things you'll eventually learn by
experience. One of those is that a torque wrench is a nice tool, but
it doesn't really tell you if a fastener is tight. It just tells you
how hard it's being turned. To get those two to coincide, everything
has to be done right; the proper spec has to be in use, the fastener
has to be in good condition and have clean threads, the parts being
tightened have to be in good condition and properly aligned, and in
some cases there may need to be a lubricant on the threads or on the
mating faces of the pieces being joined. For square-taper cranks, I
recommend reading this page as well:

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.11.html

Old April 25th 04, 03:27 PM
David Kerber

In article , rault00
@earthWEEDSlink.net says...
may have said:

Can somebody point to me a source for typical recommended torque specs
for things like chainring bolts, crank bolts, etc? I've checked the
usual source (sheldonbrown.com), but can't seem to find it.

Someone else has already provided the link to Park. I'll point out
that they don't tell you some of the things you'll eventually learn by
experience. One of those is that a torque wrench is a nice tool, but
it doesn't really tell you if a fastener is tight. It just tells you
how hard it's being turned. To get those two to coincide, everything
has to be done right; the proper spec has to be in use, the fastener
has to be in good condition and have clean threads, the parts being
tightened have to be in good condition and properly aligned, and in
some cases there may need to be a lubricant on the threads or on the

Yes, I'm aware of the factors which affect proper fastening force and
torque. I've been doing bike maintenance for 30 years just by feel, but
with my new bike, I wanted to be sure I had things done to the proper
spec.

mating faces of the pieces being joined. For square-taper cranks, I
recommend reading this page as well:

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.11.html

Thanks for the link.

Old April 25th 04, 03:27 PM
David Kerber

In article , rault00
@earthWEEDSlink.net says...

Old April 25th 04, 09:23 PM
Calvin Jones

There are two related links on the Park Tool web site,
See both http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/thread.shtml and
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/torque.shtml

The second one does include a discussion of fastener tension, which is
what holds a fastener secure. Torque is used to achieve tension, but
it is the tension that is really needed. There are no "Park Tool
torque recommendations", only listing from various manufacturers.