The Slow Tragic Death of my True Love

Old May 1st 04, 05:27 PM
RangerForrest

Default The Slow Tragic Death of my True Love

By my true love, I of course mean my my uni. I have one cheap 24" uni
and one torker TX giraffe. I don't regret buying the TX because it is a
great unicycle for the money and it has been alot of fun. The giraffe
just is not good for tricks and commuting. Since Christmas when I got
my first uni, the 24", I have put over 500 miles on it. It is my true
passion. The tubes on the fork have split down the sides and half way
around and it is only a matter of time before my fork snaps in two. The
crack is nearly a centimeter wide and is only hanging on because I have
jerry rigged it with funky washers. My pedles are unrecognizable. All
of the tread wore off my tire in one spot so I rotated it. I did it
again and again until all of the tread was gone on the entire tire. On
a quarter of the tire you can see the threads and in one spot you can
see the tube. The seat post bolt that came on the uni had to be cut off
with a hack saw last month because it refused to budge even after I had
two large socket wrenches on it. I replaced it by cannibalizing my b*ke
for a quick release. Last night I was practicing hopping on it. I told
myself that I could no longer blame my inability to hop things on my
junk unicycle which was new in December. I pushed harder and was able
to jump a little higher. Until just before I went inside I made a final
hop and landed to a very interesting noise and feeling. I expected it
to be my frame but after examining my unicycle I found that my wheel
will just barely spin through the frame because it became so badly
warped. It looks almost like that intentionally warped wheel.
I stumbled inside my house, dazed by the tragic loss and bleeding from
the fingers due to my uncomfortable seat without a handle.
I had already ordered new pedals for my uni, I know unicycle
maintanance since I have grown up a bicyclist with all of the tools.
The tire I had planned to just go and buy at my LBS. I had slight hope
that I would be able to find a friend with a welder who could help me to
weld a piec of pipe over my frame so that it could be saved. I know how
to true the wheel again but I ask myself "Is it really worth it?"
I use my uni for everything, MUni, freestyle, and commuting. Even
though I can fix it, it will never be the same again. I have lost a
good friend. I think I need to move on and look for a new uni.
I have $100.00 and I am desprate for a new unicycle. What should I
get and what do you think about selling a kidney?

--
RangerForrest - Isolated Unicyclist
RangerForrest's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5539

Old May 1st 04, 05:56 PM
cyberbellum

RangerForrest wrote:
* What should I get and what do you think about selling a kidney? *

Could work. Which of your friends volunteered be the lucky donor?

Seriously dude, if you've only got $100 then salvage as much as you can
from the old unicycle. Rims can be trued, tires booted, etc.

--
cyberbellum - Level 1.0 rider!

Optimists think the glass is half full. Pesimists think the glass is
half empty. Engineers think the glass is too big.
cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550

Old May 1st 04, 06:01 PM
RangerForrest

I was thinking trials uni.

This uni can "work" again and I will commute on it again as soon as I
can get a new tire and try to true my wheel. The wheel will never be
the same again.

I plan to save more money before buying. In the meantime, I will use my
giraffe to ride to school.

Old May 1st 04, 08:43 PM
one wheeled stallion

God, what the Hell is wrong with me, I got quite choked up reading
that!

Dear dear. I feel for you. Would the 24" Onza suit your needs? Big
enough for muni, small enough for some trials, ok for a bit of
commuting? Dunno about freestyle.

--
one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

OWS

"It's all in the mind, not the behind" -Mikefule
one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832