McEwen bashed by thugs at Indy

Old October 24th 05, 07:38 AM
Shabby

Default McEwen bashed by thugs at Indy

Cyclist McEwen bashed by thugs at Indy
October 24, 2005 - 4:14PM

Leading Australian cyclist Robbie McEwen is sporting a black eye after
being bashed by three men during the Gold Coast Indy motor racing
carnival on the weekend.

McEwen said he was targeted by the group while walking to a cab rank
near Kurrawa Surf Club, at Broadbeach, around 2am on Saturday.

He had been out having dinner and drinks with friends.

McEwen, who has a house on the Queensland tourist strip, said he did
not know why he had been attacked.

"There were three guys walking towards me and as we got level one of
them king-hit me," he said.

"I don't know if (the attack) was an attempted mugging but it was
definitely a cowardly act.

"I lost my footing after getting punched but managed to get back up and
win the fight by 50 metres.

"I might have to look at an athletics career if cycling fails."

McEwen suffered a bruised cheek and swollen lip - as well as a black
left eye - as a result of the attack.

The Tour De France green jersey winner said he was disappointed to see
random bashings occurring in his home state after returning from a
hectic cycling season in Europe.

He was in the middle of a 10 day break from training on the Gold Coast
with his family.

"It's disappointing that there are young guys out there with nothing
better to do than to try to ruin someone else's night," the 33-year-old
said.

"Still, it didn't ruin my weekend at the Indy."

Queensland Police had earlier praised the behaviour of motor racing
fans following a record four day attendance for the showpiece event.

Police said the number of incidents at the Indy was low "for an event
of this size".

"The majority of arrests have been for public order related incidents,"
police operation commander Inspector Alistair Dawson said on Sunday.

--
Shabby

Old October 24th 05, 07:46 AM
SEGFTG

petrol and alcohol is a great combination...

--
SEGFTG

Old October 24th 05, 09:28 AM
TimC

On 2005-10-24, Shabby (aka Bruce)
Leading Australian cyclist Robbie McEwen is sporting a black eye after
being bashed by three men during the Gold Coast Indy motor racing
carnival on the weekend.

Oh? Is there some motor racing thing on?

Probably explains the amount of idiots spinning their wheels I've been
seeing over the last couple of days. Lusers who think they have the
same skills that the racers have.

--
TimC
'It's amazing I won. I was running against peace, prosperity and incumbency.'
Old October 24th 05, 09:42 AM
cfsmtb

Shabby Wrote:

"It's disappointing that there are young guys out there with nothing
better to do than to try to ruin someone else's night," the 33-year-old
said.

"Still, it didn't ruin my weekend at the Indy."

At least Robbie showed more grace that his sh!thead attackers.

--
cfsmtb

Old October 24th 05, 10:17 AM
Orlando

****ing cowards, I hope Robbies cash reward will catch this vermin.
They must have got Robbie by surprise, because I have seen Robbie close up,
and he is built like a brick ****house.
Hope you make a quick recovery Robbie.

Old October 24th 05, 10:18 AM
cfsmtb

aeek Wrote:
"I lost my footing after getting punched but managed to get back up and
win the fight by 50 metres."

Yeah, but they fecking started it.

--
cfsmtb

Old October 24th 05, 11:35 PM
nitrous

While I think it is terrible that Robbie got hit, if you said to me "An
Aussie professional cyclist got king hit in an "unprovoked" attack, who
was it?" I would have said Robbie McEwen without a shadow of doubt. The
man has a reputation for having a big mouth and I just wonder if it was
entirely "unprovoked" or whether Robbie had put his $0.02 in.

--
nitrous

Old October 24th 05, 11:58 PM
flyingdutch

nitrous Wrote:
While I think it is terrible that Robbie got hit, if you said to me "An
Aussie professional cyclist got king hit in an "unprovoked" attack, who
was it?" I would have said Robbie McEwen without a shadow of doubt. The
man has a reputation for having a big mouth and I just wonder if it was
entirely "unprovoked" or whether Robbie had put his $0.02 in.

he forgot to mention the flying elbows and headbutting as they passed.
bet he was emphatically pointing to his 'chest' as he ran off

bummer he got hit and all sounds wierd but it doesnt sound like 'the
whole story' either

--
flyingdutch

Old October 25th 05, 12:19 AM
nitrous

flyingdutch Wrote:
emphatically pointing to his 'chest' as he ran off

LOL - I can just picture it.

--
nitrous

o'grady v. mcewen Gary Funck Racing 19 July 8th 05 02:33 AM
Odd commentary by McEwen? Jet Racing 3 July 7th 05 08:47 PM
Steve Shaw loves his ride to Indy NBG Day Cycle America General 0 July 26th 04 06:12 AM
Indy using Mayors' Ride to Celebrate Connectivity, Red Carpet for Don and Robert Cycle America General 0 July 22nd 04 09:00 AM
Indy using Mayors' Ride to Celebrate Connectivity, Red Carpet for Don and Robert Cycle America Rides 0 July 22nd 04 09:00 AM