Braking power with new rims

Old July 7th 11, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jean

Default Braking power with new rims

I just got a new bike and it came with Mavic CXP22 rims - the rims with the
wear indicator groove on the rim's wall. I've noticed that the brakes
(Tektro) on this bike don't stop anywhere near as well as the Shimano 105
brakes did on some old crappy Alex rims that were on my old bike. Is the
presence of the groove on the CXP22's probably contributing to this poor
braking?

Thanks,

Jean

Old July 7th 11, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Jean wrote:
I just got a new bike and it came with Mavic CXP22 rims - the rims with the
wear indicator groove on the rim's wall. I've noticed that the brakes
(Tektro) on this bike don't stop anywhere near as well as the Shimano 105
brakes did on some old crappy Alex rims that were on my old bike. Is the
presence of the groove on the CXP22's probably contributing to this poor
braking?

I wouldn't think so, Jean, but I could be wrong.

Do you still have the old bike? Could you swap brake pads?

Maybe you could ask at the LBS for some preloved brake pads that you
could try before buying some better brake blocks?

I've not seen the wear indicator groove. Is it in the middle of the
brake surface? Would the brake pad wear and end up with a wear profile
that matches the rim (and wear the wear indicator groove)?

--
JS.
Old July 7th 11, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert

On 7/6/2011 9:10 PM, Jean wrote:
I just got a new bike and it came with Mavic CXP22 rims - the rims with the
wear indicator groove on the rim's wall. I've noticed that the brakes
(Tektro) on this bike don't stop anywhere near as well as the Shimano 105
brakes did on some old crappy Alex rims that were on my old bike. Is the
presence of the groove on the CXP22's probably contributing to this poor
braking?

I have those rims and don't notice any problems braking. I have Shimano
105 brakes
though.

Old July 7th 11, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Jul 7, 2:10*am, "Jean" wrote:
I just got a new bike and it came with Mavic CXP22 rims - the rims with the
wear indicator groove on the rim's wall. I've noticed that the brakes
(Tektro) on this bike don't stop anywhere near as well as the Shimano 105
brakes did on some old crappy Alex rims that were on my old bike. Is the
presence of the groove on the CXP22's probably contributing to this poor
braking?

Thanks,

Jean

No. Clean the rims with methylated spirit (or whatever you have for
degreasing) and bed in the blocks (pads) using glasspaper wrapped
around the rim facing the block to be cut. Keep going until all
shinyness is removed from the pad's surface and the face is completely
parallel to the rim upon closure.
Old July 7th 11, 01:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jean

"James" wrote in message
Jean wrote:
[...]

The ~2mm wide indicator groove is nearly in the middle of the rim sidewall
(which is ~9mm high).

The groove is shredding the brake pads- after every ride I have to wipe off
the debris from the stays. I'm guessing that this will keep on happening
because the edges of the groove are sharp and it would be impossible to
perfectly true the rim so that the groove doesn't wander a bit with respect
to the brake pads.

Old July 7th 11, 01:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jean

"Duane Hebert" wrote in message
On 7/6/2011 9:10 PM, Jean wrote:
I just got a new bike and it came with Mavic CXP22 rims - the rims with
the
wear indicator groove on the rim's wall. I've noticed that the brakes
(Tektro) on this bike don't stop anywhere near as well as the Shimano 105
brakes did on some old crappy Alex rims that were on my old bike. Is the
presence of the groove on the CXP22's probably contributing to this poor
braking?

I have those rims and don't notice any problems braking. I have Shimano
105 brakes
though.

Do you notice a lot of brake pad debris on the bike from the groove
cutting/shredding the pads?

Jean

Old July 7th 11, 01:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On 7/7/2011 8:02 AM, Jean wrote:
"Duane wrote in message
On 7/6/2011 9:10 PM, Jean wrote:
I just got a new bike and it came with Mavic CXP22 rims - the rims with
the
wear indicator groove on the rim's wall. I've noticed that the brakes
(Tektro) on this bike don't stop anywhere near as well as the Shimano 105
brakes did on some old crappy Alex rims that were on my old bike. Is the
presence of the groove on the CXP22's probably contributing to this poor
braking?

I have those rims and don't notice any problems braking. I have Shimano
105 brakes
though.

Do you notice a lot of brake pad debris on the bike from the groove
cutting/shredding the pads?

Not so far. I have about 5000 km on the bike. I've replaced the pads
once at the beginning of this season. Probably didn't need to but was
doing a tune up anyway. So I don't see any excessive wear either. What
kind of pads do you use?
Old July 7th 11, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard[_3_]

"Jean" wrote in message
ecom...
I just got a new bike and it came with Mavic CXP22 rims - the rims with the
wear indicator groove on the rim's wall. I've noticed that the brakes (Tektro)
on this bike don't stop anywhere near as well as the Shimano 105 brakes did on
some old crappy Alex rims that were on my old bike. Is the presence of the
groove on the CXP22's probably contributing to this poor braking?

Thanks,

Jean

From my experience, Tektro brakes are good value but their brake pad material is
not so hot which will be the cause of your troubles. Don't mess around with the
pads you have. Their rubber-shedding habit is the fault of the pads. KoolStop
shoes are best. Genuine Shimano 105 or Ultegra will do if you can't find
KoolStop.
http://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Bicy...owViewpoints=1
PH

Old July 7th 11, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jean

On 7/7/2011 8:02 AM, Jean wrote:
"Duane wrote in message
On 7/6/2011 9:10 PM, Jean wrote:
[...]

The pads are the stock pads - whatever the Tektro brakes came with. Do you
have any recommendations for replacements?