Survived a Coker head-on collision with a bike in NYC!

Old April 5th 05, 09:13 PM
HardcoreCokerRider

Default Survived a Coker head-on collision with a bike in NYC!

On my way back from my local bike shop a few minutes ago, I was
traveling at a decent speed down Lafayette Street and had chosen my line
for an upcoming turn (to avoid pedestrians) and started leaning into the
turn (onto Spring St. going the opposite way of traffic, as I often do)
when a bicyclist seemed to be approaching rather quickly. I thought he
was going to keep going straight and I would just tighten-up my turn in
order to stay to his left… but no such luck! He seemed to panic and not
know what to do when he saw me approaching and he just basically rode
straight into my path! He turned his handlebars at the last minute in
order to get some protection from my slamming into him… and upon impact
I flew straight over him and his bike and landed on the road on the
other side of him on my arm and shoulder (luckily traffic was sitting at
a red light, or there would have been a pretty decent chance that I
would have landed on an oncoming car). My shoulder and arm feel really
weird… kind of like they were sprained from being twisted some way they
shouldn’t have been or something, but they didn’t get scraped or bruised
too bad since I was wearing a jacket made out of thick material. My
collarbone feels a bit strange, too. I survived better than my Coker,
though… because I didn’t break anything, yet I did snap one of the bolts
that holds the wheel to the frame. I guess I’ll have to borrow one of
those bolts from my steel rim Coker for now. Pedestrians (and the guy in
the car at the red light) who observed the incident seemed pretty amazed
that I was ok. It must have been pretty wicked to see!

--
HardcoreCokerRider - Skateparks, MTB & Urban Insanity
HardcoreCokerRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8529

Old April 5th 05, 09:19 PM
munimanpete

Glad to hear you're okay - sounds like a spectacular crash!

--
munimanpete - the unicycling kiwi

WWW.MUNIMAN.2YA.COM

*www.unicycle.2ya.com*
munimanpete's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6311

Old April 5th 05, 09:32 PM
UNIquelyCanadian

Wow! That sounds like quite a crash! Great to hear your more or less
alright.

--
UNIquelyCanadian - 8~)[==)--O

"The skull is great helmet, and with no brain inside you can have
maximum protection; your teeth are safe " - Always wear a helmet.
UNIquelyCanadian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7524

Old April 5th 05, 09:39 PM
Seager

that's crazy. What happened to the biker?

--
Seager - that one guy who does that stuff

'Team RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com)
Seager's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8840

Old April 5th 05, 09:44 PM
Mikefule

Wow! Glad you're OK. I've only had one high speed Coker wipe out, and
it's a long way down.

Of course, now you get sued by the motorists sitting at the red light
for trauma arising from having their world-view shattered.

--
Mikefule - The first cuckoo of unicycling

Sumer is icomen in, loud sing Mikefule!

Old April 5th 05, 09:57 PM
jsm

Make sure to get a video next time!

Glad to here you survived. I would think biking in NYC would be suicidal
enough, let alone Cokering.

--
jsm - Freestyle Expert

Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia
jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

Old April 5th 05, 09:59 PM
HardcoreCokerRider

Yeah, it was quite a spectacular crash! It's moments like that I wish I
could have captured on film !

As for the biker, he turned his handlebars (and seemed to let out some
kind of weird cry/whine at the same time)...which did seem to afford him
some good protection because it placed his front wheel as somewhat of a
barrier between himself and my Coker. I essentially slammed into his
front wheel and flew over him. I don't think he got hurt at all. I think
he was worried that I may have been hurt and then when I said I was ok,
I think he may have said something about it being my fault or
something... but I couldn't hear him because I hadn't turned off my
headphones yet at that time... I was still kind of in shock about what
had happened.

It's weird because my upper chest near my shoulder kind of feels like I
impailed it on something, but I'm pretty sure my chest would have been
way to high to hit his handlebars... and there's no visible
black-and-blue or mark... but it does feel somewhat messed up. I'm sure
I'll be fine, though.

Old April 5th 05, 10:14 PM
aspenmike

Going against traffic with headphones on at a good rate of speed on a
Coker. Let me see....... your lucky to be alive. You should get checked
out by a doctor, as torn or broken parts get much harder to diagnose and
fix after swelling occurs. Ice and elevate until then. Good luck with it
all.

--
aspenmike - unicycling albino
aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

Old April 5th 05, 10:26 PM
TheoELind

How was the bike? Sounds like your wheel could have done some damage to
his front end. I did bike messaging last summer in downtown Denver, and
I know city riding is tretcherous. He shouldn't have been on the
sidewalk, so therefore, he is at fault. You should see a doctor. If you
get any swelling in the chest/ torso region, you could have internal
bleeding.

--
TheoELind - 5 year schwinn rider

Some things in life are bad/ They can really make you mad/ Other things
just make you swear and curse/ When you're chewing on life's grisle/
don't grumble- give a whistle/ and this'll help things turn out for the
best.../ and.../ Always look on the bright side of life/ (whistle)/
Always look on the bright side of life/ (whistle)

Dave Lowell is my main man.
TheoELind's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8872

Old April 5th 05, 11:12 PM
TheObieOne3226

I would go to a doctor. If you have pain but no marks it is something
internal. In this situation bruising or swelling would be good things,
as they would indicate broken blood vessels or hurt muscles, both of
which aren't especially major. But nothing visible means you could have
pulled or broken something. Go to a doctor just in case, unless the pain
goes away by like tomorrow.

--
TheObieOne3226 - SWAT

'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)
'Arrow Racing' (http://www.arrowracing.com/)
'Sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com)

\"obie is definately a trend setter, i got in to unicycling because of
him, and came here because of him\" - kj-52

\"try not to annoy the great obie, for he is better than us.\" - murde
mental

*disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if you
are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i don't
feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where not
everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.*