Cycling health?

Old November 16th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

Default Cycling health?

T Donily wrote:
Did you tear yourself up while trying to be Joe racer or just in the
course of putting on miles? I just pile up miles and only race out of the
saddle so my knees do get killed.
Bill Baka

Hi Bill,

Actually, I was torn up while at a previous employer. The place had a
couple "strategic" leaks that would arrise when it would rain. And when you
add that to the tile floors we had... I slipped and hit the floor. Tearing
cartiledge in my right knee. It was aided by some arthroscopic surgery and
doesn't put up too much of a fuss. The other knee happed at the same place,
but there I was headed down a set of stairs, in the usual hasty fashion of
mine, and turned a corner smacking my left knee into a metal rack. Which in
turn broke a chunk of the upper left corner of my left kneecap. I knew it
hurt like mad, but didn't think anything of it. Until two years later when
it really started acting up, but was too late to do anything outside of
re-breaking it.

So now, I have been taking Glucosemine tablets. It seems to help. I just
need to learn to slow down and recall that I'm no longer 20 years old.

That is a big "Damn". Did you get compensated enough for it, their
negligence? That is a pretty bad reason to screw up the rest of you
cycling and athletic life.
I survived a major car accident and just have to put up with the pops
and crunches in the knees. Damned if it will stop me from riding though.
I also only rarely go over 20 MPH on the flats since I would rather put
on 60 miles at 15 MPH than wear myself out at 20 MPH and wind up only
doing 20 miles. More miles means a better overall workout to me.
My opinion. I am not training to race, just for a century (years).
Bill Baka
Old November 16th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
T Donily

That is a big "Damn". Did you get compensated enough for it, their
negligence? That is a pretty bad reason to screw up the rest of you
cycling and athletic life.
I survived a major car accident and just have to put up with the pops and
crunches in the knees. Damned if it will stop me from riding though.
I also only rarely go over 20 MPH on the flats since I would rather put on
60 miles at 15 MPH than wear myself out at 20 MPH and wind up only doing
20 miles. More miles means a better overall workout to me.
My opinion. I am not training to race, just for a century (years).
Bill Baka

The fall I was compensated for, but the other wasn't as the company has
since folded and my one witness I have no idea where they have gotten off
too.

Anymore, since it's been so long, I don't really have any idea as to what my
abilities would be. My numbers were back when I around 20 or so. Living in
Portland, OR, I'd climb hills averaging about 12 mph. My bike at the time
was a "Target special" mountain bike that I had placed a road tire on for
commuting.

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 16th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

T Donily wrote:
[...]

Hell.
I only average about 12-15 on long rides. Who am I supposed to impress?
Getting there and snickering at the gas prices is half the fun.
Bill Baka
Old November 18th 06, 07:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

Default SPAM (please ignore)

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
"Earl Purple" wrote in message
oups.com...

IAMGOD wrote:

And what are you doing, dickhead?

Hey Alan, here is a real troll for you to deal with. He is a mindless
spamming troll, but that is basically what all trolls do more or less. His
name is Ed Gin and he is the dickhead I have been forever telling the
newsgroups about as an example of a troll. He ruined ARBR and it will be
interesting to see if he can similarly ruin the other cycling newsgroups.
Good luck in reporting him to his email server and his ISP.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old November 18th 06, 09:46 PM posted to aus.bicycle,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

"T Donily" wrote in message

ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!

Ed,

I saw no point in your response what so ever. I never said I couldn't
move. If you're so into death and whatnot, then take your advice. I was
just looking for advice to try to rebuild one's knees to take cycling
again.

When you post a message to Usenet, you can expect to run the gamut of
possible responses. Since I am a Genius, you can always look forward to
unconventional responses. You should try to relax and appreciate how you
have been honored by a post from one so august as Myself.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:WPSdnUs8u9kGjsfYnZ2dnUVZ_sadnZ2d@prairiewave. com...

It is the ultimate wisdom to know when to quit. If you can't walk, then
think about dying. No one in this world wants to be saddled with an
invalid. I suggest hanging yourself from a rafter in your dirt floor
basement, if you have one. This will rid the world of yet another
invalid. After all, how many invalids can this world afford?

Old November 18th 06, 10:10 PM posted to aus.bicycle,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

"Bill" wrote in message
m...
T Donily wrote:
Ed,

I saw no point in your response what so ever. I never said I couldn't
move. If you're so into death and whatnot, then take your advice. I was
just looking for advice to try to rebuild one's knees to take cycling
again.

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:WPSdnUs8u9kGjsfYnZ2dnUVZ_sadnZ2d@prairiewave. com...

It is the ultimate wisdom to know when to quit. If you can't walk, then
think about dying. No one in this world wants to be saddled with an
invalid. I suggest hanging yourself from a rafter in your dirt floor
basement, if you have one. This will rid the world of yet another
invalid. After all, how many invalids can this world afford?

You have to consider the source. Ed is an attention seeking oddball.

No more so than you, Bill Baka!

Now,
On to you particulars. I went out for about 10 miles in the California
gloom today, only about 12-14 MPH since I had a 12 year old boy in tow.
I thought I could sneak out but went past the house where he moved and got
spotted.
Anyway, it was a very low stress ride since I was riding to a car parts
yard to look for some parts for my beater car, a 1988 Mazda in need of an
alternator. $17.00 if I pull it or $120 new plus maybe having someone
install it to keep my wife happy.

What do you mean a 'beater car'? I also have a 1988 Mazda 626 and it is my
main car. When it goes, that will be the end of all a cars for me until I
depart this vale of woes. I am pretty sure there will be no cars in
Paradise. By the way, I love my Mazda as much as I have ever loved any car
(not much). I had a 1963 Volks Beetle for over 25 years and I gradually grew
to hate that car.
[...]

BTW, if you can, just filter Dolan out since he never says anything
uplifting or for all that matter bike related. He claimed to be from the
recumbent group, but I have my doubts.

Ed Dolan the Great only says things that are of interest if you have a brain
in your head. Unfortunately, that lets out most of the denizens of these
cycling newsgroups. They are all idiots as I have proven time and time again
and even poor Bill Baka is give to delusions of grandeur. Where is Brickston
when he is needed?

Thunderbird lets me filter the 'from' and 'to' fields but not the message
body itself so if somebody replies I still get it.

T Donily, an asshole who has totally misspelled his own name, will never
want to filter the Great Ed Dolan. Where else will he ever get a perspective
on his own foolishness and idiocy. Aye, only Ed Dolan the Great can furnish
that kind of input - and for free too! It is just part of my noblesse oblige
which I confer on my inferiors as a superior being. Frankly, I am in awe of
my own nobility.

Old November 18th 06, 10:16 PM posted to aus.bicycle,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

"T Donily" wrote in message
Thanks all for the advice. Especially that of the "Block Sender" as when
doing so it cleared quite a few emails of this list. I have never thought
of reducing the crank length. Didn't really know you could.

As for walking, I do that on a daily basis at my job. Being a machinist,
we have to move parts all over just to check them, or any other task that
might come up.

But when it comes to biking, the last time I tried to ride, I severely
overdid myself. I would get on and try to maintain my old around town
average of ~20-25 mph. And after three miles, and returning home, I'd
have to pretty much crawl back in the house. But I can only blame myself
for pushing that hard. I've never noticed that kind of pain when riding
with my kids though. Their "speed" is fairly mild when comparing their
single or 5-speed to my 21 speed.

Again, thanks to those who offered help.

I am always glad to be of service to my fellow man. Always remember, dying
is not a bad solution to whatever ails you. That is my final word. No
charge.

HBF Health Insurance gumby Australia 10 November 7th 05 08:11 AM
Cycling and health : interesting article Andrew Price General 0 December 8th 04 11:03 PM
Health warning W K UK 11 September 10th 03 12:21 AM
Sprawl is bad for your health Luigi de Guzman General 1 August 30th 03 06:36 AM
Health Check ... elyob UK 10 July 30th 03 09:47 AM