Alternative to tights?

Old November 15th 05, 02:14 AM
Maggie

Default Alternative to tights?

Matthew Venhaus wrote:

Eat less. Holidays are coming; how will you handle the food
temptations?

I've got that covered....I joined weight watchers and there is a weigh
in every week. I don't have alot of weight to lose. I have to lose 25
lbs. I want to be "thin" for this wedding. If it were not for this
wedding, I would be happy at my present weight. I am not a fat slob
and I am not 25 years old. I don't expect to look like a woman in her
twenties. My daughter is in her twenties...I am surrounded by her
friends constantly. I KNOW I AM NOT GOING TO LOOK LIKE THAT AGAIN.
I look pretty good for my age. Tonight I cycled otdoors, then indoors
with weights, and then did a workout with an aerobic video. An aerobic
firm and tone video. 30 minutes. I am watching my diet and the fear
of the scale at weight watchers is pushing me to stay on this diet. If
I ever get down to my goal weight, and I am stupid enough to put the
weight back on.....I am hopeless.
I have been fighting with 25 lbs since I went through menopause. I
think some ladies on this site might understand what its like to lose
weight after you go through that horrific experience.....BEING
MENOPAUSAL....it is a nightmare. I'm glad its over, but it makes
losing weight a battle. Even 25 lbs. I think I should change my
posting to a diet group from now until June....because I am going to
start getting obsessed with this, and I know cycling will not be enough
to help me tone. ESPECIALLY MY BYE BYE ARMS. Maybe I should cross post
this to something diet related....No....I won't do that. I will hunt
down a diet group and start annoying them.

Maggie.
http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html
http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

Old November 15th 05, 02:50 AM
Beverly

"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...

Matthew Venhaus wrote:

[...]

You can always come back to alt.support.diet and annoy us G

Old November 15th 05, 10:37 AM
Maggie

Beverly wrote:
"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...

Matthew Venhaus wrote:

[...]

Thanks Beverly.....I think I will. I knew I had posted at on a diet
group a few times. I'm heading back....at your invitation.

Maggie.

Old November 15th 05, 03:38 PM
Claire Petersky

"gds" wrote in message
oups.com...

SDB wrote:

Bicycling can tone your arms.

Perhaps if you pedal with your arms.

But I think that cycling must be one of the least efficient forms of
activity to tone one's arms.
Look at the disparity between the muscular development of legs vs. arms
on top cyclists.

Since my upper body strength is so pathetic, I have indeed gotten strength
in my arms from cycling. Just keeping the tandem steady doing STP with Rose
completely exhausted my arms and shoulders. My legs could have kept going
for another 100 miles.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Old November 15th 05, 03:52 PM
gds

Claire Petersky wrote:

Since my upper body strength is so pathetic, I have indeed gotten strength
in my arms from cycling. Just keeping the tandem steady doing STP with Rose
completely exhausted my arms and shoulders. My legs could have kept going
for another 100 miles.

--

Well Roger will be sure to jump in regarding my being repetitive but
cycling is not good upper body exersize. Your own example illustrates

If you want to look athletes with equally developed upper and lower
bodies you need to look at sports that require that sort of balance.
So, baskebal players, tennis players, track sprinters (and now middle
distance runners), hurdlers, football player all have more of a balance
between upper and lower bodies because th esports require both upper
and lower boy strength. Cycling doesn't- that is why top pro cyclists
have thighs that look like football player's and totally unmuscular
chests and arms.

Old November 15th 05, 04:54 PM
gds

Matthew Venhaus wrote:
Unless you are talking about track cyclist, I don't know of any pro

that even comes close to approaching the thigh size of a football (I'm
assuming American) player's.

You are absolutely correct if one is measuring the thigh circumference.
However, you might be surprised at the cyclists strength to weight
ratio in the legs when compared to much larger football players.

But my point was on relative development and I used a metaphor. The
point is that cyclists have relatively muscular legs and relatively un
muscular arms and chests and that this strongly indicates that cycling
works the lower and upper bodies differently.

Old November 15th 05, 07:53 PM
c_sinensis at yahoodotcom

Sporthill makes great products (or at least great running pants - I
don't know anything about their cycling clothes). They're not just for
chubby people either - my entire D-1 college track team loved them even
before we started getting them as part of our official team warmups.

The pants come in different cuts. I have two pairs with ankle zippers
and just enough extra material around the ankle that I could imagine
they might touch the chain or chainring, but I have another pair that
fits much more closely around the ankle.

Sporthill is on the web at www.sporthill.com and available in many
running shoe stores. They are expensive. Definitely worth it for
running long distances in cold weather, but there are plenty of similar
products on the market if you don't want to spend that much for
commuting gear.

Jason

Bib Tights equivalent to Performance Elite bib shorts? Jet Racing 0 November 7th 05 05:25 PM
Tights angst Pat Lamb General 4 January 26th 05 03:23 AM
Alternative Bicycle Designs? [email protected] Techniques 12 November 1st 04 07:56 AM
Riding tights (and I don't ride horses!) Peter Signorini Australia 5 May 30th 04 10:41 PM
Tights over or under riding shorts? GS General 21 February 12th 04 01:57 AM