deer story

Old October 28th 05, 06:54 PM
Roger Houston

Default deer story

"The Wogster" wrote in message

Realise that the truck in the photo would be a write off by the insurance
company....

Near the town where I grew up, there's a stretch of country where wild
jackasses roam. A couple of kids were driving down the road last week and
hit one of the donkeys. The donkey came through the windshield of their
care in much the same manner as did the deer in the picture, killing the
young female passenger and seriously injuring the boyfriend who was driving.
http://www.sbsun.com/search/ci_3140540.

Old October 28th 05, 09:27 PM
The Wogster

Roger Houston wrote:
"The Wogster" wrote in message

Realise that the truck in the photo would be a write off by the insurance
company....

Near the town where I grew up, there's a stretch of country where wild
jackasses roam. A couple of kids were driving down the road last week and
hit one of the donkeys. The donkey came through the windshield of their
care in much the same manner as did the deer in the picture, killing the
young female passenger and seriously injuring the boyfriend who was driving.
http://www.sbsun.com/search/ci_3140540.

Considering that bicycles travel at slower speeds, have more
manoeuvrability, better braking and greater operator awareness, an
incident where a deer or burro and a cyclist is on a collision course,
avoidance would be easier, then when the same individual is in an
automobile..... Then again flying down a hill, at night with no lights,
might result in both parties being on the side of the road, dead.

Old October 28th 05, 09:34 PM
Brian Huntley

The Wogster wrote:
Considering that bicycles travel at slower speeds, have more
manoeuvrability, better braking and greater operator awareness, an
incident where a deer or burro and a cyclist is on a collision course,
avoidance would be easier, then when the same individual is in an
automobile..... Then again flying down a hill, at night with no lights,
might result in both parties being on the side of the road, dead.

Yes, but how was the bike?

Old October 28th 05, 10:50 PM
Roger Houston

"The Wogster" wrote in message

Considering that bicycles travel at slower speeds, have more
manoeuvrability, better braking and greater operator awareness, an
incident where a deer or burro and a cyclist is on a collision course,
avoidance would be easier, then when the same individual is in an
automobile..... Then again flying down a hill, at night with no lights,
might result in both parties being on the side of the road, dead.

Agreed. Wandering a bit further off topic (or maybe on), I've encountered
many deer while cycling, both on and off the paved roads. I've noticed that
deer will stand and look at you until you're right on top of them before
they bolt. I've had two of them bolt right into my path, but the rest ran
away. One was quite well hidden and I was a bit spaced, and fortunately it
was one of the ones that ran away. For some reason, deer aren't afraid of a
human on a bike with the wind in his face. I've also snuck up on deer in a
canoe or kayak as they grazed along the local river bank. Well, not quite
"snuck up" but had the deer stand looking with a "WTF??" look on their faces
until I was very close or until I felt a bit of wind eddying around my back,
then they took off up the bank.

Deer are easily spooked by people walking up on them, in my experience. Or
at least more easily so than by people on non-motorized transportation that
doesn't involve a lot of flailing of the extremities. I've been "coasting"
during my closest approaches to these animals either by cycle or by paddle.
I've gotten close enough to smell them before they smelled me.

Old October 29th 05, 12:43 AM
The Wogster

Brian Huntley wrote:
The Wogster wrote:

Considering that bicycles travel at slower speeds, have more
manoeuvrability, better braking and greater operator awareness, an
incident where a deer or burro and a cyclist is on a collision course,
avoidance would be easier, then when the same individual is in an
automobile..... Then again flying down a hill, at night with no lights,
might result in both parties being on the side of the road, dead.

Yes, but how was the bike?

Well, with the rider pushing up daisies, the bikes condition is, well a
non-issue. One thing that helps for bikes, is that bicycle lighting
tends to be less bright, so the caught in the headlights may be less of
an issue, and a deer that freezes in the middle of the road, is
something you can go around, rather then crashing into it.

Old October 29th 05, 01:39 AM
~R

Default deer story - deer jokes

For those of you that read this thread this far, a little joke
time!

What do you call a deer with no eyes? (scroll down for answer)
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

No eye dear (no idea)
What do you call a deer with no legs and no eyes?
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Still no eye deer.

What do you call a deer with no legs, no balls, and no eyes?
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Still no ****ing eye deer!

Ha ha! Be safe!

~Rob

Old October 29th 05, 06:36 AM

Sunday and Tuesday nights I now have HSK 汉è¯*水平考试 prep
classes from 6:45 to 9:45. I'm going to try taking the test for the
first time in December.

This means that, if I am going to train at all, on Tuesdays I've got to
go out real early, ride fast, turn around well before I get to the
train station, and end up passing the beach muster point at about the
time everyone else is arriving.

Yuck.

But it's that or have all of Tuesday's ride be icky traffic riding.
And if I don't get in that daily 30-50kilometers I risk being uninvited
from the January round-the-island ride.

So there I am going faster than I've ever sustained on this stretch
before, zoning out and the pretty palm trees, the windsurfers on the
bay, the herd of free range cattle...heading my way in a small stampede
caused by a SUV coming the other direction.

I love my bike's handling, manueverability, and above all the brakes.

I'm not sure I've ever been that close to a cow before.

Old October 29th 05, 03:01 PM
Roger Houston

wrote in message
oups.com...

the herd of free range cattle...heading my way in a small stampede
caused by a SUV coming the other direction.

I love my bike's handling, manueverability, and above all the brakes.

I'm not sure I've ever been that close to a cow before.

Cows won't bother you as long as you don't try to make eye contact.

Old October 30th 05, 04:13 AM
Michele Woods

"Roger Houston" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

the herd of free range cattle...heading my way in a small stampede
caused by a SUV coming the other direction.

I love my bike's handling, manueverability, and above all the brakes.

I'm not sure I've ever been that close to a cow before.

Cows won't bother you as long as you don't try to make eye contact.

Kind of OT, but I was chased by a duck last night. I think I'd rather be
chased by a cow.

Old October 30th 05, 04:52 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Michele Woods" writes:

I love my bike's handling, manueverability, and above all the brakes.

I'm not sure I've ever been that close to a cow before.

Cows won't bother you as long as you don't try to make eye contact.

Kind of OT, but I was chased by a duck last night. I think I'd rather be
chased by a cow.

Last year I had a skunk racing against me.
I let the skunk win.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Deer Danger Garrison Hilliard General 46 June 1st 05 04:52 AM
eScrew OWNS YOU!!! [email protected] Racing 0 December 20th 04 09:26 AM
eScrew zen story [email protected] Unicycling 0 December 20th 04 07:25 AM
eScrew zen story [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 20th 04 07:21 AM
Billy removes support from Peewee (seeXXXVII for a Laugh) Di Social Issues 3 October 29th 04 05:31 AM