Alternative to tights?

Old November 10th 05, 08:02 PM
LF

Default Alternative to tights?

Jeans -- with a layer of something underneath when very cold -- are
great for cycling. Just take a length of old innertube to tie around
the bottoms -- to keep them out of harms way, and out of the chain.
Regards,
Larry

Old November 11th 05, 01:26 AM
catzz66

max wrote:

I use cheapo Target wind pants.

Wind pants also come with zippers or elastic on the legs. They are not
expensive. You are wise to think about keeping the material out of the
chain. That is critical no matter what you are wearing. I rode in wind
pants down to the mid 20s F and my legs did not get uncomfortably cold.
For me, the main thing is keeping the wind away from my skin.

Old November 11th 05, 06:30 PM
ie

if the lycra police are a concern then wind pants are a good
alternative--just be sure they are plenty loose across the front of your
thighs when you bend your legs. I wore a pair once in very cold weather
(about 15 degrees) and the fronts of my thighs were almost frostbitten. The
pants were tight enough to squeeze the insulation underneath them flat and
useless each time I completed a pedal stroke. Ouch. Cold ride out....car
ride home to a hot bath. I bought tights the next day and never looked back.

Old November 11th 05, 07:35 PM
Maggie

John Everett wrote:
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:55:06 GMT, "~R" wrote:

Hi,

Cold weather is upon us. Time to pack away our shorts. But I
don't feel comfortable wearing tights to bike to work. I'm still
a little chubby and very tall. What pants are good for biking
other than tights? Right now I'm wearing these lined nylon
warm-up pants, but they're so baggy that it's like a parachute.
Plus I'm afraid the baggy cuffs will get caught in the chain
mechanisms.

Any suggestions?

Yes, swallow your pride and pull on a pair of tights. ;-)

Why do women love the ballet.......MEN IN TIGHTS!! Do you think they
are actually watching the ballet? How many times can you keep going
to the Nutcracker every year in December without realizing why you are
going. Wear the tights.

As for me, I wear sweatpants. Sometimes I double them up so I look like
two ton tillie. I don't give a crap if I look cubby when I am cycling.
I'm not out there to impress anyone. There are other times to impress
if you want to.... ;-)

I have no idea why I need special cycling clothes, I never have and
probably never will. As much as everyone yells about people who dare to
say they hate lycra...I hate lycra.
I grew up banding my pant leg when I was a cycling little kid so it
would not get caught in the chain.

BTW, I did wear my sons motorcycle jacket one morning and that is
amazing. I can fall and not even feel the pain. ;-) Those jackets
are awesome. Talk about staying warm. They are wonderful jackets for
the cold and for falling ;-) .
Maggie

Old November 11th 05, 09:28 PM
~R

wore jeans today. Wworked out great, with reflective velcro bands
around the ankles.

~Rob

ups.com...
:

Old November 11th 05, 09:30 PM
~R

trust me on this one, I'm doing the environment a favor by NOT
wearing tights! It's not that I care to impress anyone, I just
look rediculous in them. My legs are in great shape, but I still
have a belly that riding all year and dieting have not done much
to dent.

~Rob

"John Everett" wrote in
message ...
: On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:55:06 GMT, "~R" wrote:
:
: Hi,
:
: Cold weather is upon us. Time to pack away our shorts. But I
: don't feel comfortable wearing tights to bike to work. I'm
still
: a little chubby and very tall. What pants are good for biking
: other than tights? Right now I'm wearing these lined nylon
: warm-up pants, but they're so baggy that it's like a
parachute.
: Plus I'm afraid the baggy cuffs will get caught in the chain
: mechanisms.
:
: Any suggestions?
:
: Yes, swallow your pride and pull on a pair of tights. ;-)
:
:
: jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet
http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

Old November 12th 05, 04:06 PM
Cathy Kearns

"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...

John Everett wrote:
[...]

Now, when I'm out cycling, halfway up the first hill or so, I start to
perspire. After the first hill I take off my wind jacket and roll it into
my pocket. By the second hill my headband is also in my pocket. If there
are more hills the tights come off (which is why I wear them OVER shorts).
They also roll into my pocket. So I'm wondering, do you have baskets for the
leather jacket after you work up a glow? I'm sure sweatpants won't fit in
my pockets. And don't sweatpants get damp when sweaty? Does the second
pair over the first keep the wind from chilling the damp sweaty pants? Or
maybe I'm out of shape and real cyclists don't perspire. (I have the same
problem with running or playing tennis, thus the "high performance" lycra
wear, keeps me from dragging around extra pounds of wet clothes.)

Old November 13th 05, 02:52 PM
Maggie

Cathy Kearns wrote:
Now, when I'm out cycling, halfway up the first hill or so, I start to
perspire. After the first hill I take off my wind jacket and roll it into
my pocket. By the second hill my headband is also in my pocket. If there
are more hills the tights come off (which is why I wear them OVER shorts).
They also roll into my pocket. So I'm wondering, do you have baskets for the
leather jacket after you work up a glow? I'm sure sweatpants won't fit in
my pockets. And don't sweatpants get damp when sweaty? Does the second
pair over the first keep the wind from chilling the damp sweaty pants? Or
maybe I'm out of shape and real cyclists don't perspire. (I have the same
problem with running or playing tennis, thus the "high performance" lycra
wear, keeps me from dragging around extra pounds of wet clothes.)

Are you kidding me....do you think I work out as hard as you do riding?
You must never read my posts. I really don't work up a sweat. I
ride for enjoyment. And I rarely do hills. I do my best to avoid
them. I ride on bike paths. Level bike paths. I will ride a fairly
good distance....but I do it at my leisure. I only wore my sons
leather motorcycle jacket once....and it was not a long ride. It was
cold, but I did not ride a great distance. It was my morning before
work ride. I stopped commuting to work since I bought a new car. I
know that is a BAD ME, BAD ME.....but I like my car. I like my bike,
but I like my car too. Maybe if I was into racing or something, lycra
would win me over.....but I am not. I think people should ride in
whatever clothes works well for their style of riding. Mine is just
recreational. So I don't buy special clothes to ride. I did buy
lights for my bike though. It is getting dark so freaking early.
Maggie.

Old November 14th 05, 10:40 AM
Maggie

Mike Rice wrote:
Which lights did you get?

Indiana Mike

I bought the Cobra headlight It is made for short commutes at night.
It is a 2.5 watts Xenon headlight. It runs on batteries which I wanted
and it will last up to 6 hours. I never ride 6 hours in the
dark....so I think I am safe with what I purchased. It mounts on the
bike very easily....and I can take it off very easily. I like it.
Probably not the type most of you like, but for me its great. I wanted
one that ran on batteries and could be mounted on the bike easily. I
got it.

Maggie.

Old November 14th 05, 06:17 PM
Maggie

~R wrote:
My legs are in great shape, but I still
have a belly that riding all year and dieting have not done much
to dent.

~Rob

I feel your pain....I am on a mission to be thin as a rail for my
daughters wedding in June. I am running out of time. I find that my
legs are losing weight faster than the rest of my body from cycling.
To look good in my mother of the bride dress...I need to do more than
cycle. That is where the gym comes into play. Cycling does nothing
for my flabby arms. I need weights for that. I need my gym and my
trainer. Dieting and cycling do nothing for those BYE BYE arms...if
you know what they are..... ;-)

Maggie

Bib Tights equivalent to Performance Elite bib shorts? Jet Racing 0 November 7th 05 05:25 PM
Tights angst Pat Lamb General 4 January 26th 05 03:23 AM
Alternative Bicycle Designs? [email protected] Techniques 12 November 1st 04 07:56 AM
Riding tights (and I don't ride horses!) Peter Signorini Australia 5 May 30th 04 10:41 PM
Tights over or under riding shorts? GS General 21 February 12th 04 01:57 AM