Inner tubes

Old September 6th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mlmartinet

Default Inner tubes

I am perplexed at trying to figure out inner tube sizes. My tire is a
32-622 or 28X1 1/4x1 3/4 what the heck does this mean does this equate
to a 700c number? I ordered a Nashbar 700x28-32C inner tube. When I
was testing out my CO2 pump I inflated the inner tube and it seemed
much bigger then the wheel it self. I assumed the were 700X32c
according to the cannondale website. My bike is a Cannondale Road
Warrior 500.

Matt
Old September 6th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

mlmartinet aka Matt L. Martinet wrote:
I am perplexed at trying to figure out inner tube sizes. My tire is a
32-622 or 28X1 1/4x1 3/4 what the heck does this mean does this equate
to a 700c number? I ordered a Nashbar 700x28-32C inner tube. When I
was testing out my CO2 pump I inflated the inner tube and it seemed
much bigger then the wheel it self. I assumed the were 700X32c
according to the cannondale website. My bike is a Cannondale Road
Warrior 500.

700 C is an obsolete term used to describe the ISO 622-mm bead seat
diameter bicycle tire and rim. The tube you ordered is the correct one,
assuming that there was not a packaging error.

See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html.

If the proper tube is inflated outside the tire, it will obtain a much
larger diameter than the tire due to the large elastic strains possible
with elastomer materials. The tire does not grow due to both the higher
modulus threads that compose the casing and the orientation of these
threads.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”
Old September 6th 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mlmartinet

On Sep 6, 5:28*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
mlmartinet aka Matt L. Martinet wrote: I am perplexed at trying to figure out inner tube sizes. *My tire is a
[...]

Thanks
Old September 6th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mlmartinet

If it's obslete why is it still used? Why not go with the xx-622?
Old September 6th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Sep 6, 3:19*pm, mlmartinet wrote:
If it's obslete why is it still used? *Why not go with the xx-622?

I think Tom meant that it's functionally obsolete, and we should stop
using it, kind of like English weights and measures.

FWIW, a lot of people around here do use ETRTO sizing around here,
especially when discussing sizes smaller than 600mm BSD.
Old September 7th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Hank Wirtz wrote:
On Sep 6, 3:19 pm, mlmartinet wrote:
If it's obslete why is it still used? Why not go with the xx-622?

I think Tom meant that it's functionally obsolete, and we should stop
using it, kind of like English weights and measures.

Yes, indeed, since unless one is using a tire like the 60-622 Schwalbe
Big Apple, one will not come close to having a rolling diameter of 700 mm.

Similarly, the "29er" term for large wheel mountain bikes is confusing,
with many not realizing that "29er" tires and rims are ISO 622-mm.

The use of "28-inch" for ISO 622-mm by some continental European
manufacturers is utterly bizarre, since continental Europe has not used
inches in a long time, and also that the "27-inch" size tire/rim is
bigger at ISO 630-mm.

FWIW, a lot of people around here do use ETRTO sizing around here,
especially when discussing sizes smaller than 600mm BSD.

Yes, with multiple "26-inch", "24-inch", "20-inch" and "16-inch" sizes,
ordering tires, tubes and rims with anything but ISO sizing is fraught
with the hazard of getting the wrong item. Some manufacturers such as
Continental make it worse by listing a 28-406 tire as "20x1-1/8", which
implies an ISO 451-mm tire.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”

self sealing tubes HD commuting touring tubes patch glue knee how ma [email protected] Techniques 5 February 8th 06 02:37 AM
Inner tubes Colin Blackburn UK 2 April 8th 05 01:50 PM
Gluing tubes to tubes Ted Techniques 12 January 31st 05 09:43 PM
FA: MTB Inner Tubes Default UK 18 January 9th 05 11:31 PM
Do I need new tubes ? Trigger74 Techniques 1 August 3rd 04 04:30 PM