Evelyn Stevens for Bruce

Old August 7th 09, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert Chung[_3_]

Default Evelyn Stevens for Bruce

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...597350028.html

Old August 7th 09, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 21:19:36 +0200, "Robert Chung"
wrote:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...597350028.html

From the article:

"A bigger obstacle is the pay: Top women’s professionals make about
$30,000 a year, a figure that makes it tempting to try to keep
working. Dr. Thorburn continued to practice medicine while cycling
competitively."

Boy, that could start something back up if someone were to post it.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old August 7th 09, 09:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jim Feeley

On 8/7/09 12:19 PM, in article ,
"Robert Chung" wrote:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...597350028.html

Here's the part that gets me:

"working 50-hour weeks.... Her exhausting schedule left her with barely
enough time for jogging."

Nothing against the racer, but the reporter writes as if 50-hour weeks are
extraordinarily long for regular people (as opposed to full-time athletes).
I ain't no martyr, but I'd guess I'm not alone in working more than that.

And in general, the reporter seems to get carried away. Good to see
Carpenter and Miller included as voices of reason.

Despite the hype, it's a nice story. Hope Stevens goes far.

Jim
--
Jim Feeley
POV Media

Old August 7th 09, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
"Robert Chung" wrote:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...597350028.html

I just feel fresher when I get on the bike,” she says.
Instead of going to the office, she says,
“Today, I came back from a ride, ate, surfed the Web,
wrote emails, read books, hung out. It’s really nice, actually.”

Many power numbers were quoted, but not enough to draw a
conclusion from the numbers alone. How much power can be
trained? Where do Evelyn Stevens's power numbers lie on
various scales?

--
Michael Press
Old August 7th 09, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT

On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 13:50:58 -0700, Jim Feeley
wrote:

On 8/7/09 12:19 PM, in article ,
"Robert Chung" wrote:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...597350028.html

Here's the part that gets me:

"working 50-hour weeks.... Her exhausting schedule left her with barely
enough time for jogging."

Nothing against the racer, but the reporter writes as if 50-hour weeks are
extraordinarily long for regular people (as opposed to full-time athletes).
I ain't no martyr, but I'd guess I'm not alone in working more than that.

Yeah, and it's not good that that is not rare. For people getting paid
buckets, like investment bankers, that's their choice. When "regular
people" have to do that regularly, (as opposed to a few busy weeks a
year), it's not good.

And in general, the reporter seems to get carried away. Good to see
Carpenter and Miller included as voices of reason.

I can't think of any female rider who has advanced as rapidly as she
has in the US, ever, w/o a previous background in endurance sports. If
she doesn't have a setback, she's going to world class soon.

Despite the hype, it's a nice story. Hope Stevens goes far.

Old August 7th 09, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT

On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 14:28:48 -0700, Michael Press
wrote:

In article ,
"Robert Chung" wrote:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...597350028.html

I just feel fresher when I get on the bike,” she says.
Instead of going to the office, she says,
“Today, I came back from a ride, ate, surfed the Web,
wrote emails, read books, hung out. It’s really nice, actually.”

Many power numbers were quoted, but not enough to draw a
conclusion from the numbers alone. How much power can be
trained? Where do Evelyn Stevens's power numbers lie on
various scales?

I don't know, but she won two NRC stage races in a row a year after
starting racing.

She comes out of my club, so I may be biased, but that's huge.
Old August 7th 09, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Susan Walker

wrote:
On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 21:19:36 +0200, "Robert Chung" wrote:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...597350028.html

From the article:
"A bigger obstacle is the pay: Top women’s professionals make about
$30,000 a year, a figure that makes it tempting to try to keep
working.

From the comments: "How does a cyclist survive on $30K? You'd have to
be independently rich to live off that."

Huh. I think I could manage.

Also from the comments: "Nice article taken completly from Velonews
magazine." Maybe from the print edition? On the website I only found
http://velonews.com/article/95106/ca...evelyn-stevens
Old August 7th 09, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
GoneBeforeMyTime

"Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT" wrote in
message ...
On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 13:50:58 -0700, Jim Feeley
wrote:

On 8/7/09 12:19 PM, in article ,
"Robert Chung" wrote:

[...]

Stevens at Redlands..
http://www.procyclingwomen.com/Redla...Part-2/11.html

Old August 7th 09, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert Chung[_3_]

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/media/...ofiling_v4.xls

Old August 7th 09, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT wrote:
On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 13:50:58 -0700, Jim Feeley
wrote:

On 8/7/09 12:19 PM, in article ,
"Robert Chung" wrote:

[...]

Inga Thompson. Chris Witty.