another pedestrian injured on the pavement by cyclists

Old January 20th 11, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PhilO

Default another pedestrian injured on the pavement but luckily not bymotorists this time.

On Jan 20, 10:29*am, Judith wrote:

-- * * *
2009 per billion passenger kilometres:

Cyclists Killed or seriously injured : 567
Pedestrians Killed or seriously injured : 415

Which is the safer form of transport?

Since you ask, lets look at the full pictu
Killed per billion passenger km: Pedal cycle 21, Pedestrian 26, DFT
2009 figures)

Hmm, hard to see any difference.

But you knew that, didn't you?
Old January 20th 11, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 05:15:41 -0800 (PST), PhilO
wrote:

On Jan 20, 10:29*am, Judith wrote:

-- * * *
2009 per billion passenger kilometres:

Cyclists Killed or seriously injured : 567
Pedestrians Killed or seriously injured : 415

Which is the safer form of transport?

Since you ask, lets look at the full pictu
Killed per billion passenger km: Pedal cycle 21, Pedestrian 26, DFT
2009 figures)

Hmm, hard to see any difference.

But you knew that, didn't you?

Try telling that to the people seriously injured.

(You are excellent value)

Old January 20th 11, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 15:52:33 +0000, Phil W Lee
wrote:

snip

The simple fact is that it is extremely rare for there to be serious
consequences from a cyclist/pedestrian collision, owing to the
relatively low mass of both parties and the limited speed
differential.

That's good. Tell that to the mother with children, the old person,
or the blind person who is hit by a cyclist on the pavement.

My only really serious accident took place as a pedestrian on the
pavement, when I was hit by a speeding car, and it was only due to an
extremely rapid response, some excellent work by the ambulance team on
the way to the hospital, and some extremely good luck that I am still
here.

Ah - things become clearer.

This is why you have this enormous chip on both shoulders.

Was the car driving along the footpath on purpose?

What was the reason for it being on the footpath?

Was the driver charged with any offence?

Did you get your "compo"?

Old January 20th 11, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On Jan 20, 10:29*am, Judith wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 00:11:53 -0800 (PST),

" wrote:

snip

*Not sure what you definition of run into is? However, I've had a
glancing blow by a cyclist once as a pedestrian (and then multiple
punches by a group of friends when I had the temerity to make
comment) , and glancing blows by a cars 3 times (in a pedestrian zone,

Just let me be sure of what you are saying here : **you* have had
three glancing blows by cars when in a pedestrian zone.

Amazing - I wonder if anyone else here has had such things?

(Are you visually impaired?)

Anecdotal.

I have been deliberately rammed by drivers three times while on
Critical Mass rides, one of which damaged my bike but fortunately I
was not injured, which is a lot more serious than an unintentional
glancing blow from a passing cyclist. On three other occasions I was
also hospitalised by drivers. I don't recall ever being hit by a
cyclist on a pavement.

-- .
Critical Mass London.
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
"Get out of my way you communist Effing scum, dole cheats”, said a
driver to CM cyclists.

Old January 20th 11, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On Jan 20, 3:52*pm, Phil W Lee wrote:
" considered
Thu, 20 Jan 2011 02:53:49 -0800 (PST) the perfect time to write:

On Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:29:12 AM UTC, Judith wrote:

Just let me be sure of what you are saying here : **you* have had
three glancing blows by cars when in a pedestrian zone.

*Yes, that's what I said, the 'blows' were by wing mirrors as the vehicles passed me.

Amazing - I wonder if anyone else here has had such things?

(Are you visually impaired?)

*Well, I wear glasses/contact lenses, so have some level of impairment that needs correction, but I can drive and cycle perfectly well and have my eyesight tested every year. However as the cars came from behind vision isn't really the problem, I guess hearing might be, but I was aware they where there ...

The simple fact is that it is extremely rare for there to be serious
consequences from a cyclist/pedestrian collision, owing to the
relatively low mass of both parties and the limited speed
differential.

The same is by no means true of car/pedestrian or car/cyclist
collisions, particularly when the speed differential is high.

My only really serious accident took place as a pedestrian on the
pavement, when I was hit by a speeding car, and it was only due to an
extremely rapid response, some excellent work by the ambulance team on
the way to the hospital, and some extremely good luck that I am still
here. *Given the vehicle speed, injuries caused, and distance to the
nearest hospital with a major trauma unit, any realistic appraisal of
my chances of survival at the time would have given me almost no
chance of survival. *But many things went extraordinarily right, and I
made it.

We are informed by public information films about the chance of
pedestrian survival when hit by a motor vehicle at 20, 30 and 40mph,
but I wonder what the figure was for 70mph in the late 70s?
I'm sure it must have been less than 1% survival rate, if the figures
at lower speeds we are given for more recent times are even vaguely
accurate. *So I'm very, very lucky to still be here.

It would simply not have been possible for a cyclist to have caused
the number and severity of injuries that I received from that car -
even in the very rare cases of a pedestrian dying after a cycle
colliding with them, it is inevitably a single unlucky blow to a
vulnerable part of the body that causes the damage, not the
accumulation of multiple serious injuries.

Or a very vulnerable person just falling over perhaps?

Doug.
Old January 20th 11, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 20/01/2011 17:45, Doug wrote:

I have been deliberately rammed by drivers three times while on
Critical Mass rides, one of which damaged my bike but fortunately I
was not injured, which is a lot more serious than an unintentional
glancing blow from a passing cyclist.

Not being injured is *more* serious, you say?
Old January 20th 11, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
webreader

" wrote:

[...]

Please give details.

I don't recall ever being hit by a
cyclist on a pavement.

Anecdotal. (your words. not mine)

-- .

Old January 21st 11, 07:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On Jan 20, 5:52*pm, JNugent wrote:
On 20/01/2011 17:45, Doug wrote:

I have been deliberately rammed by drivers three times while on
Critical Mass rides, one of which damaged my bike but fortunately I
was not injured, which is a lot more serious than an unintentional
glancing blow from a passing cyclist.

Not being injured is *more* serious, you say?

You are obviously experiencing difficulties of understanding.
Deliberate ramming is much more serious than unintentional ramming.

-- .
UK Radical Campaigns.
http://www.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.
Old January 21st 11, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
francis

On Jan 21, 7:37*am, Doug wrote:
On Jan 20, 5:52*pm, JNugent wrote: On 20/01/2011 17:45, Doug wrote:

I have been deliberately rammed by drivers three times while on
Critical Mass rides, one of which damaged my bike but fortunately I
was not injured, which is a lot more serious than an unintentional
glancing blow from a passing cyclist.

Not being injured is *more* serious, you say?

You are obviously experiencing difficulties of understanding.
Deliberate ramming is much more serious than unintentional ramming.

-- .
UK Radical Campaigns.
*http://www.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

So you would agree that deliberate cycling/driving on the pavement is
more serious than unintentional cycling/driving on the pavement.

(where do I get this killing driving licence?)
Old January 21st 11, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 21/01/2011 07:37, Doug wrote:

On Jan 20, 5:52 pm, wrote:
On 20/01/2011 17:45, Doug wrote:

I have been deliberately rammed by drivers three times while on
Critical Mass rides, one of which damaged my bike but fortunately I
was not injured, which is a lot more serious than an unintentional
glancing blow from a passing cyclist.

Not being injured is *more* serious, you say?

You are obviously experiencing difficulties of understanding.

None at all, actually.

I think someone is having difficulties with basic sentence construction though.

another pedestrian injured by a cyclist Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 14 August 27th 10 01:22 AM
Pedestrian injured webreader UK 2 November 22nd 09 06:35 PM
Another Pedestrian injured by a Cyclist Mike P[_6_] UK 4 November 7th 09 02:02 PM
Pavement cyclists targeted again but not pavement motorists. Doug[_3_] UK 44 October 30th 09 07:31 AM
Another pedestrian killed on the pavement David Hansen UK 24 June 5th 07 09:54 AM