How slow am I?

Old August 12th 05, 07:47 PM
Weisse

Default How slow am I?

I'd like to work my way up to doing a century one of these years, but I'm
afraid I'm just too darn slow!

I'm 48, in moderate shape and have been biking for about 3 years. I ride a
Trek 7500 (hybrid). I get out at least 3 times/week I have no problem with
rides in the 30-mile range. But my problem is speed. I average about 14
mph on short rides (less than 15 miles) and 13 mph on longer rides. If my
math is right, a 100 mile trip is going to take almost 8 hours of solid ride
time!

I gotta know, is this just too slow? Is it me or is it my bike? What
should I target for an average speed?

Thanks,
Tony

Old August 12th 05, 07:49 PM
gds

Speed will increase over time as you get greater fitness. Many folks do
their first century at 13 mph or so.
If this is what you want to do just keep riding and try to lengthen
your long rides gradually. I think you'll find your speed will increase
on its own.

Old August 12th 05, 08:06 PM
Bill Sornson

Weisse wrote:
I'd like to work my way up to doing a century one of these years, but
I'm afraid I'm just too darn slow!

I'm 48, in moderate shape and have been biking for about 3 years. I
ride a Trek 7500 (hybrid). I get out at least 3 times/week I have
no problem with rides in the 30-mile range. But my problem is speed.
I average about 14 mph on short rides (less than 15 miles) and 13 mph
on longer rides. If my math is right, a 100 mile trip is going to
take almost 8 hours of solid ride time!

I gotta know, is this just too slow? Is it me or is it my bike? What
should I target for an average speed?

Most centuries start early in the AM (7:00 is common I think), so even if it
took you /ten/ hours (with breaks) it would be OK.

Also, almost any route is going to include some tailwind and downhill
sections; take advantage when you can! (Unfortunately, the opposite is
true, too )

Get to where you can ride 50 or 60 miles fairly easily, and you'll complete
that century no sweat. (Well, maybe SOME.)

I'm betting you buy a fancy road bike before the event :-D

Bill S.

Old August 12th 05, 08:18 PM
Roger Zoul

:
: I'm 48, in moderate shape and have been biking for about 3 years. I
: ride a Trek 7500 (hybrid). I get out at least 3 times/week I have
: no problem with rides in the 30-mile range. But my problem is
: speed. I average about 14 mph on short rides (less than 15 miles)
: and 13 mph on longer rides. If my math is right, a 100 mile trip is
: going to take almost 8 hours of solid ride time!
:
: I gotta know, is this just too slow? Is it me or is it my bike?
: What should I target for an average speed?

I did my first century last year at only slight faster than 13 mph. I
finished in under 8 hours. Also, you can start out early if you like, say
30 minutes.

You do need to start increasing your miles, though.

Old August 12th 05, 08:18 PM
Glewis

Don't worry about the speed, the distance is what matters. I'm 57 and
ridden 3 centuries and 3 metric centuries this year, and will be riding
a century next weekend, a day after my 58th birthday. My average
speed is 13.5 -14 mph. For me the hardest part of the century is being
on the bike for so many hours. Ride long distances, get used to being
on a bike for longer periods of time. When you ride your first century
hook up with people that you can ride comfortably with. Practice riding
with others in a pace line, that will help increase your speed in a
century. Remeber its not how fast you do the ride, its doing the ride
and finishing.

Old August 12th 05, 08:33 PM
Arthur Harris

"Weisse" wrote:
I'd like to work my way up to doing a century one of these years, but I'm
afraid I'm just too darn slow!

I'm 48, in moderate shape and have been biking for about 3 years. I ride
a Trek 7500 (hybrid). I get out at least 3 times/week I have no problem
with rides in the 30-mile range. But my problem is speed. I average
about 14 mph on short rides (less than 15 miles) and 13 mph on longer
rides. If my math is right, a 100 mile trip is going to take almost 8
hours of solid ride time!

I gotta know, is this just too slow? Is it me or is it my bike? What
should I target for an average speed?

1) There's nothing magical about a century. I don't understand why everyone
feels they need to set goals for everything. But, ok, maybe try for a metric
century first (62.5 miles).

2) 48 isn't old. People in there 70s do centuries.

3) Your bike is not ideal for doing long rides. It's heavy, slow, puts you
in an upright position that is not aerodynamic, and puts lots of weight on
yer butt.

4) Choice of pace on a century is important. Start too fast and you risk
"hitting the wall." But if you go too slow, you're in the saddle for a
l-o-n-g time, and it's going to hurt. Riding at 13 mpg or so is ok, but 10
mph means 10 hours in the saddle.

If you just want to do a century for bragging rights, I'd say don't bother.
If you want to do rides of 40-50 miles on a regular basis, get a road bike,
and gradually increase your mileage. Eventually you will be able to do a
century.

My local club does a flat century every May. The group starts doing weekly
rides the first week in March, starting at 25 miles, and increasing 5-10
miles per week. Even rank beginners that stay with the program are able to
complete the century.

Art Harris

Old August 12th 05, 10:33 PM
wafflycat

"Weisse" wrote in message

I gotta know, is this just too slow? Is it me or is it my bike? What
should I target for an average speed?

You should target whatever *you* feel comfortable with. The thing is, if you
enjoy it, it doesn't matter how long you are in the saddle - it's fun!
Unless you happen to be training to do the TdF, then that's another matter
;-)

Cheers, helen s

Thanks,
Tony

Old August 12th 05, 10:37 PM
mark

"Weisse" wrote...
I'd like to work my way up to doing a century one of these years, but I'm
afraid I'm just too darn slow!

I'm 48, in moderate shape and have been biking for about 3 years. I ride
a Trek 7500 (hybrid). I get out at least 3 times/week I have no problem
with rides in the 30-mile range. But my problem is speed. I average
about 14 mph on short rides (less than 15 miles) and 13 mph on longer
rides. If my math is right, a 100 mile trip is going to take almost 8
hours of solid ride time!

I gotta know, is this just too slow? Is it me or is it my bike? What
should I target for an average speed?

Thanks,
Tony

Start early, keep a steady pace, use the rest stops wisely (nibble a little
food, top off your water bottles, use the toilet and get back on the bike)
and you should be fine. Too slow for who? You should be doing the ride for
yourself.

More than one person over 70 finished this year's
Triple Bypass ride from Evergreen, CO to Avon, Co (115 miles, 10,000+ ft of
climbing) so you've got a few years to get ready. And lots of them averaged
less than 12 mph on the bike, but they seem to have had just as much fun as
the faster riders.

Definitely boost your mileage on some of your training rides so that you can
maintain your speed the full distance of the century.

If you can maintain 13 mph on a flat bar hybrid, you can probably do a good
bit better on a good road bike, touring bike or audax bike with drop bars
and a more efficient riding position.

Above all, enjoy the ride.
--
mark

Old August 13th 05, 01:09 AM
Claire Petersky

"Weisse" wrote in message

But my problem is speed. I average about 14 mph on short rides (less
than 15 miles) and 13 mph on longer rides. If my math is right, a 100
mile trip is going to take almost 8 hours of solid ride time!

I gotta know, is this just too slow? Is it me or is it my bike? What
should I target for an average speed?

I rode the 204 miles of the STP with my 12 year old this summer over two
days. Our first day was 108 miles, and the second 96. It took us ~12 hours
to do the first day, and about 12.5 hours to do the second. Our average
speed on the bike was probably about 12 mph, but we took lot of rest breaks
along the way.

Most centuries aren't races, they're about doing your personal best or
having fun. If you want to do a century, and average 13 mph, nothing's
holding you back. For most of them, just get on the road early, get used to
people passing you, and you'll make it over the finish line before it
closes.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Old August 13th 05, 02:30 AM
Ron Wallenfang

My New Year's day centuries are no faster than 12 mph or so; my summer trips
average 14 -15, more with a tail wind, less with a strong headwind or lots
of hills.