Liverpool to Parbold

Old April 2nd 06, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Liverpool to Parbold

Does anybody know of any cycle-friendly routes to Parbold from Liverpool?

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

John

Old April 2nd 06, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

If you've got all day you could use the Leed-Liverpool Canal.

To say it meanders is an understatement.

Old April 2nd 06, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

If you've got all day you could use the Leed-Liverpool Canal.

To say it meanders is an understatement.

And probably illegal on much of the towpath.

Seriously, the one big problem on the direct route is that A59/M58/M57
roundabout - car drivers think they're still on the motorway.
Southbound, avoid at any price (northbound isn't too bad if coming off
say Bridge Road as you keep left all the way for the A59). There's a
case for, shock horror, using the cyclepath between Maghull and the
perimeter road.

The A59 through Ormskirk is busy, has a big hill to the church followed
by a downhill where you're "supposed" to be on the cyclepath despite
the fact you can get near the speed limits on the DC. I remember the
A508 being quiet because all the traffic's on the motorway, but it ends
uselessly. The Melling Road across the racecourse is interesting, but
closed racedays.

As to the city itself, depends where you're going. The cyclepaths
aren't much use unless headed for the eastern 'burbs, and the tunnel
under Walton Vale can be downright scary.

Old April 30th 06, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Office Pest wrote:
Bugger. I was planning on scooting up the canal path to visit some
friends in Appley Bridge (burscough to appley bridge) on my new trek
(born again cyclist).

Where can I find out about where it is legal to ride?

Try:
url:http://www.waterscape.com/cycling/

In particular, the cycle route descriptions at
url:http://www.waterscape.com/Leeds_%26_Liverpool_Canal/cycling/Burscough_to_Springs/rid46
and
url:http://www.waterscape.com/Leeds_%26_Liverpool_Canal/cycling/Leeds_to_Newlay_Bridge/rid47
would suggest that cycling is permitted alongside this particular waterway.

--
Danny Colyer URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/
Subscribe to PlusNet URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/
Old April 30th 06, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

in message , Office Pest
('OfficePest@officepest') wrote:

Where can I find out about where it is legal to ride?

Scotland.

There's nae Gods, an there's precious few heroes
but there's plenty on the dole in th Land o th Leal;
And it's time now, tae sweep the future clear o
th lies o a past that we know wis never real.
Old April 30th 06, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Danny Colyer" wrote in message
Office Pest wrote:
Bugger. I was planning on scooting up the canal path to visit some
friends in Appley Bridge (burscough to appley bridge) on my new trek
(born again cyclist).

Where can I find out about where it is legal to ride?

Try:
url:http://www.waterscape.com/cycling/

In particular, the cycle route descriptions at
url:http://www.waterscape.com/Leeds_%26_Liverpool_Canal/cycling/Burscough_to_Springs/rid46
and
url:http://www.waterscape.com/Leeds_%26_Liverpool_Canal/cycling/Leeds_to_Newlay_Bridge/rid47
would suggest that cycling is permitted alongside this particular
waterway.

The above cycle route descriptions describe two out of thirteen sections of
the canal where cycling is permitted. The rest of the towpath is not open
to cyclists. The sections where cycling is permitted is listed below -
lifted from www.waterscape.com :

Eldonian Village, Liverpool, to Stanley Road (Bridge 2A) (4.4 km): From the
Eldonian Village the path runs around the lock flight (take extra care
here). At Stanley Road, stop and dismount as the towpath crosses over canal.

Stanley Road (Bridge 2A) to Litherland Road (Bridge 2J) (2.4 km): The path
runs up to Litherland. Dismount and leave towpath left of road over bridge
coming from Liverpool. Take care when leaving towpath.

Maghull Hall Lane (Bridge 12) to Methodist Swing (Bridge 15) (1.7 km): A
largely residential area, popular with locals - do not speed, and dismount
at all bridges.

Burscough (Bridge 32A) to Springs (Bridge 59A) (21.8 km): From Springs
Bridge (B5238) the path goes down the Wigan flight, through the Douglas
valley, exiting at Burscough.

Springs (Bridge 59a) to Red Rock (Bridge 63) (3.5 km): Rural area passing
through Haigh Country park and a towpath side mooring at Red Rock. Dismount
when approaching stone arch bridges.

Barracks (Bridge 75) to Botany (Bridge 78A) (2.8 km): This length skirts
around the edge of Chorley. Dismount when approaching stone arched bridges.

Hollin Bank (Bridge 98) to Whitebirk Bridge (Bridge 104B) (4.7 km):
Well-used towpath through Blackburn. Be aware of other users. Dismount at
bridges and through Blackburn locks.

Side Beet (Bridge 106) to New Barn (Bridge 109) (3 km): Semi-rural length
passing through Rishton. Dismount at bridges and be aware of other users.

Clough Bank (Bridge 117) to Altham (Bridge 118) (0.75 km): Rural stretch
with wide bank. Dismount at bridges.

Gannow Tunnel, East Portal, to Godley (Bridge 103h) (4.5 km): Passes through
Burnley town centre, which is a busy stretch of towpath. Dismount at bridges
and be aware of other users.

Lodge (Bridge 134) to Hawks House (Bridge 136) (1 km): Semi-rural area, on
outskirts of Burnley. Wide bank.

Swinden Changeline (Bridge 142) to Blakey (Bridge 144) (1.2 km): Starts and
finishes either side of Barrowford locks - a popular stretch of canal. Some
of this length is used by vehicles and extra care should be taken. Be aware
of other users and dismount at bridges.

Greenberfield Changeline (Bridge 158) to Office Lock, Leeds (70.4km): The
Leeds & Liverpool Canal in Yorkshire is open to cyclists, but please be
aware that some areas are more suitable than others. In rural locations, the
towpath may be grassy and possibly muddy in winter, so extra care needs to
be taken.

Someone publishes a good map of the Leeds-Liverpool canal. I have a copy
somewhere but can not lay my hands on it.

A quick Google trawled up this source:

http://www.britains-waterways.com/geoprojects.htm

Question about the Leeds Liverpool canal. Random UK 5 October 16th 05 01:58 PM
A nice ride, event in Liverpool 18th Sep 05!... [email protected] Unicycling 2 August 20th 05 08:58 PM
Nice short fun ride in liverpool 18th September 05. [email protected] UK 0 August 20th 05 08:13 PM
Liverpool Street Greg UK 0 July 10th 05 10:09 PM
Photos - Sefton Park, Palm House, Liverpool Icarus UK 4 April 28th 04 07:25 PM