Confused About Campy Shifters

Old October 14th 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Arthur Shapiro

Default Confused About Campy Shifters

Can someone enlighten me as to the difference between older Campy 10 speed
shifters (I have circa 2002 Chorus) and those labelled BB or QS? Are they all
compatible - if I needed to replace a shifter, could I purchase any Chorus or
Record model?

Appreciate any guidance.

Art
Old October 14th 08, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Oct 14, 11:42*am, (Arthur Shapiro) wrote:
Can someone enlighten me as to the difference between older Campy 10 speed
shifters (I have circa 2002 Chorus) and those labelled BB or QS? *Are they all
compatible - if I needed to replace a shifter, could I purchase any Chorus or
Record model?

Appreciate any guidance.

Art

If you stick with Record or Chorus, there should be no compatibility
issues.

The Centaur, Veloce, Mirage and Xenon ones labelled QS had hard
indexing in the front, and required a QS-compatible FD.

2009 Centaur and Veloce 10-speed should be 100% compatible with your
current stuff, as well.
Old October 15th 08, 11:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jean Pasquet[_2_]

Bonjour,

Hank a écrit :

If you stick with Record or Chorus, there should be no compatibility
issues.
The Centaur, Veloce, Mirage and Xenon ones labelled QS had hard
indexing in the front, and required a QS-compatible FD.
2009 Centaur and Veloce 10-speed should be 100% compatible with your
current stuff, as well.

I am not sure there !
I took up Ergopower 2009 Centaur on my bike, with a front derailleur
Shimano Dura Ace 2007.
Functioning is really very hard !
Why ?
I do not understand !

--
Cordialement
Jean Pasquet

Old October 15th 08, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Oct 14, 12:42*pm, (Arthur Shapiro) wrote:
Can someone enlighten me as to the difference between older Campy 10 speed
shifters (I have circa 2002 Chorus) and those labelled BB or QS? *Are they all
compatible - if I needed to replace a shifter, could I purchase any Chorus or
Record model?

Appreciate any guidance.

Art

'BB' means they have teeny cartridge bearings that the center, thru
bolt, rides in. 'QS' for Record and Chorus, QS came out in 2007, thru
2008, means nothing for Record and Chorus. The innards are the same as
they have been since 1999. For Centaur and below, however, in 2007 and
2008, the innards were a derivative of Xenon shift guts. Lost was the
multi positional LH shifter function and multiple higher gear function
from the RH shifter. Called Escape for the RH, 'QS' for the left. All
gone for 2009. Different shift innards for all levels, but back is the
LH and RH functions.
Old October 15th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Pete Biggs

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
[...]

Escape will continue to be an option in 2009. Non Escape (Ultra-Shift)
Ergos have a new body shape.

Looks nasty from the pictures, though I haven't had a feel of them yet.

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/gro...10_catid_1.jsp

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/gro...CH_catid_3.jsp

~PB

Old October 15th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Ruff

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
'BB' means they have teeny cartridge bearings that the center, thru
bolt, rides in. 'QS' for Record and Chorus, QS came out in 2007, thru
2008, means nothing for Record and Chorus. The innards are the same as
they have been since 1999. For Centaur and below, however, in 2007 and
2008, the innards were a derivative of Xenon shift guts. Lost was the
multi positional LH shifter function and multiple higher gear function
from the RH shifter. Called Escape for the RH, 'QS' for the left. All
gone for 2009. Different shift innards for all levels, but back is the
LH and RH functions.

Hi... I've been wondering about this also since I need to get new
shifters, so...

Is QS really no different in Chorus and Record than non-QS? Thought
I'd heard that the lever ratio was different and you should have a QS
front der.

For 2009 are the innards essentially the same for Veloce and above,
and since they have changed from the old style (even though the
function is the same), do you think it is an improvement in
durability? Will they still be easy to rebuild?

Old October 15th 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Oct 15, 3:33*am, Jean Pasquet wrote:
Bonjour,

Hank a écrit :

If you stick with Record or Chorus, there should be no compatibility
issues.
The Centaur, Veloce, Mirage and Xenon ones labelled QS had hard
indexing in the front, and required a QS-compatible FD.
2009 Centaur and Veloce 10-speed should be 100% compatible with your
current stuff, as well.

I am not sure there !
I took up Ergopower 2009 Centaur on my bike, with a front derailleur *
Shimano Dura Ace 2007.
Functioning is really very hard !
Why ?
I do not understand !

--
Cordialement
Jean Pasquet
[On respecte un homme qui se respecte lui-même] *Honoré de Balzac
(pour réponse, remettre les 3 voyelles de mon nom)

2007 and later Campy FDs are much lighter action than earlier models.
Not sure if that's spring tension or geometry. When I said "100%
compatible" I meant that the micro-indexing allowed use with any cable
pull ratio. Obviously, some may require less hand strength than
others, but most FDs can be made to work with the levers..

Also, make sure you're using the included 2009 Ultra-Low-Friction
cables and casings. The shift casings are slightly smaller diameter
(3.5mm, IIRC) than before, and when I tried to use regular 4mm casing,
the cable would stick slightly on release, so upshifts were
unreliable. I put in the new stuff and everything was fine.
Old October 15th 08, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Oct 15, 5:35*am, "Pete Biggs"
p...@pomegranateremovehighlyimpracticalfruitbiggs .tc wrote:
[...]

I've got the Veloces, I like them quite a bit. I like the new
position, gripping the very top point of the lever. It stretches you
out for a more aero position without hunching your back as much as the
drops might. They do look like Salvador Dali designed them, though.
Old October 15th 08, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Oct 15, 7:20*am, Ron Ruff wrote:
[...]

Not true. The innards are the same as non 'QS'..it's just a label to
so that all shifters said 'QS'.

Old October 15th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jean Pasquet[_2_]

Bonjour,

Hank a écrit :

2007 and later Campy FDs are much lighter action than earlier models.
Not sure if that's spring tension or geometry. When I said "100%
compatible" I meant that the micro-indexing allowed use with any cable
pull ratio. Obviously, some may require less hand strength than
others, but most FDs can be made to work with the levers..

Also, make sure you're using the included 2009 Ultra-Low-Friction
cables and casings. The shift casings are slightly smaller diameter
(3.5mm, IIRC) than before, and when I tried to use regular 4mm casing,
the cable would stick slightly on release, so upshifts were
unreliable. I put in the new stuff and everything was fine.

2007 and later, is FD QS, no ?
Why Ergopower 2009 with FD QS does it impose a washer of adaptation
Ergopower ?
Front Derailleur Dura Ace and Ergopower 2009, but so very hard
indexation is improved in face.

Yes, casing Ultrashift diameter is 4,1mm and old Ergopower 4,5mm.
impossible to put the old casing, they do not run.