road-bicycle-DR-housing

Old October 15th 08, 08:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mariusz

Default road-bicycle-DR-housing

hello everyone,
which housing is better and why ?

1)http://mnienalt.googlepages.com/crosshousing.jpg

2)http://www.allegro.pl/item458408227_...o_cortina.html

regards
Mariusz
Old October 15th 08, 01:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Oct 15, 1:05*am, mariusz wrote:
hello everyone,
which housing is better and why ?

1)http://mnienalt.googlepages.com/crosshousing.jpg

2)http://www.allegro.pl/item458408227_...o_cortina.html

regards
Mariusz

The ONLY advantage to crossing the housing is that the housing doesn't
rub on the headtube, which can mar the paint/finish.
Old October 15th 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Oct 15, 5:28*am, Qui si parla Campagnolo
wrote:
On Oct 15, 1:05*am, mariusz wrote:

hello everyone,
which housing is better and why ?

1)http://mnienalt.googlepages.com/crosshousing.jpg

2)http://www.allegro.pl/item458408227_...o_cortina.html

regards
Mariusz

The ONLY advantage to crossing the housing is that the housing doesn't
rub on the headtube, which can mar the paint/finish.

It also keeps the housing away from crown-mounted lights and bags.
That's a good enough reason for me to do that on all of my bikes with
under-BB routing.

I'm curious about that second bike, though, using 8-speed ST-6400
levers and a Mirage RD. I wonder what tricks they're using to get that
to work, or does it just shift like crap? I suppose they could just be
shifting 8 cogs of a 10-speed cassette.
Old October 15th 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark[_9_]

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
On Oct 15, 1:05 am, mariusz wrote:
hello everyone,
which housing is better and why ?

1)http://mnienalt.googlepages.com/crosshousing.jpg

2)http://www.allegro.pl/item458408227_...o_cortina.html

regards
Mariusz

The ONLY advantage to crossing the housing is that the housing doesn't
rub on the headtube, which can mar the paint/finish.

But that's a nice advantage. I also think the housing run has fewer
tight bends with crossed housing, but probably not a significant
advantage there.

Note that on *some* bikes, depending on where the cable stops are,
crossing the housing is a non-option - certainly not a choice on vintage
bikes with above-BB cable guides.

Mark J.
Old October 15th 08, 04:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

On 10/15/2008 7:15 AM Mark wrote:

[snip]

... the housing run has fewer
tight bends with crossed housing,...

Raises hand

In the context of the various housings, what constitutes a "tight bend"--I
mean, is there a minimum radius? I tend to use large radii coming off the
handlebars, which looks kind of floppy. But that tight turn back at the RD
demonstrates that dérailleur cables, at least, can tolerate a pretty sharp
turn.

Lowers hand, makes bet with student seated to his right that the answer
will be something like: There is no hard-and-fast rule, that the tighter
the bend, the less freely the cable will move, so cut and try.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"