hard tail or full susser

Old December 18th 03, 03:54 PM
Mark Hickey

Default hard tail or full susser

(Jonesy) wrote:

Now, my previous FS bike was over
30lbs, and my current HT is pushing 30, with it's heavy fork, so this
ST is pretty light to me. And it gives my old legs a break.

No doubt you noticed a difference going from that 30 pound FS bike to
your current 24 pound FS bike. I'd suggest that until you log some
time on a 22 pound HT, you're not really going to understand just how
big the difference we've been discussing. Comparing a 30 pound HT
with a 24 pound FS bike would be a lot like me comparing one of my ti
HTs to a first-generation 35 pound Proflex.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old December 18th 03, 04:57 PM
Paladin

(Jonesy) wrote in message . com...
P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote in message . ..

Have a good evening, and come again.

Hey guys. Here's an example of the differences as I've experienced
them, stripped of all the analytical prognostications. I was on the
ht, Adam was on the boing-boing.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ing.google.com

(btw, the ride written about is a large part of next year's amb-id
epic, just ridden down, though)

If that link doesn't work, it's just a write-up of a ride we did that
was a tough, technical climb up, where my ht outperformed his boinger,
and then the ride back down, where he smoked me to return the favor.

paladin
Old December 18th 03, 05:27 PM
Sorni

Paladin wrote:
If that link doesn't work, it's just a write-up of a ride we did that
was a tough, technical climb up, where my ht outperformed his boinger,
and then the ride back down, where he smoked me to return the favor.

You may wish to rephrase that.

Bill "attired in roadie gear (basically just the shoes and helmet mirror),
so not one to talk" S.

Old December 18th 03, 07:06 PM
Jonesy

Mark Hickey wrote in message . ..
(Jonesy) wrote:

Now, my previous FS bike was over
30lbs, and my current HT is pushing 30, with it's heavy fork, so this
ST is pretty light to me. And it gives my old legs a break.

No doubt you noticed a difference going from that 30 pound FS bike to
your current 24 pound FS bike.

Oh, absolutely. It was easier to get to to go where I wanted. And
the current bike is a zero-pivot softail, so the rear end doesn't have
any side-to-side play that my old FS did. And it doesn't bob
noticeably. The old bike did bob - which I found more "annoying" than
anything else.

I'd suggest that until you log some
time on a 22 pound HT, you're not really going to understand just how
big the difference we've been discussing.

One of the guys I ride with has a S-Works HT that he built to be as
low weight as he could afford. I think it weighs in at 21 lbs or so.
His claim - I haven't weighed it.

I can tell a small difference when climbing - for climbing smooth
trails, it's great. But when things get rough, his flexy SID and my
old knees just make it a chore, so much so that I wish for my old,
heavy FS.

Comparing a 30 pound HT
with a 24 pound FS bike would be a lot like me comparing one of my ti
HTs to a first-generation 35 pound Proflex.

Heh. My CrMo HT frame weighs over 5 pounds on it's own. And it's got
heavy wheels and tires, steel seatpost, etc, etc. It's a beater, but
it has it's charm. Heck, it used to be heavier - it's rigid fork and
quill stem together came to almost 5 pounds. Both were steel. I used
to ride that thing over rocks and roots.

I doubt I'll ever go back to riding a HT much. I might just ditch the
heavy frame and pick up a middle-of-the-road-weight FS to hang the
parts off of. Then it'll be my FS beater.
--
Jonesy
Old December 18th 03, 07:09 PM
Jonesy

"Slacker" wrote in message ...
http://www.pbase.com/image/19662702

I'm more an "Itchy and Scratchy" man.

"They fight! They fight! They fight, they fight, they fight; the Itchy
and Scratchy show!"
--
Jonesy "just for Sorni"
Old December 18th 03, 11:32 PM
Jonesy

On 17 Dec 2003 21:21:28 -0800, (Jonesy) wrote:

P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote in message

. ..

Even if that's all you've been talking about, I have been talking
about a wider use.

Yeah, talking about a wider use in response to me, quoting racing
results.

Got it.

Ooops, I guess you don't. Throwaway comments for throwaway questions
are just that. I know it's fun to try and recast your comments after
the fact, however.

No recasting going on here.

100% USDA Grade A bull****.

Just discussing your obvious lack of
experience with the topic at hand, as I have been doing all along.

Because, of course, all you were talking about was racing, so *of
course* that means all my comments were about racing too! What
wonderful spin.

I have plenty of experience riding HT, ST and FS bikes. (With and
without SPV shocks.) If you want to nitpick about the racing part,
you may feel free to do so, but pardon my LOL at your previous "being
picky" hypocrisy.

If you can't keep up, maybe you should refrain
from posting until you grasp a clue.

How ironic, especially given your response to Mark, quoted

elsewhere.

Well, your opinion matters as much to me as anyone else's in USENET,
so I guess I'll just have to remain undevastated by your retort. I
hope you don't mind.

No problem.

Hopefully you'll get some racing under your belt at some point and
realize how funny your comments are.

I prefer to have fun riding MTBs. If my comments are funny, then I'm
very pleased to have entertained you, and anyone else who finds them
as amusing as you seem to.
--
Jonesy
Old December 18th 03, 11:35 PM
Jonesy

(Paladin) wrote in message om...
(Jonesy) wrote in message . com...
P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote in message . ..

Have a good evening, and come again.

Hey guys. Here's an example of the differences as I've experienced
them, stripped of all the analytical prognostications. I was on the
ht, Adam was on the boing-boing.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ing.google.com

(btw, the ride written about is a large part of next year's amb-id
epic, just ridden down, though)

If that link doesn't work, it's just a write-up of a ride we did that
was a tough, technical climb up, where my ht outperformed his boinger,
and then the ride back down, where he smoked me to return the favor.

The guy I know that raced near Lewiston had exactly the same
experience. He figured that if he had had a FS bike, he would have
been in contention for the win. He claimed that the course was not
HT-friendly.
--
Jonesy
Old December 19th 03, 02:22 AM
Paladin

Sorni wrote:

Paladin wrote:

If that link doesn't work, it's just a write-up of a ride we did that
was a tough, technical climb up, where my ht outperformed his boinger,
and then the ride back down, where he smoked me to return the favor.

You may wish to rephrase that.

Bill "attired in roadie gear (basically just the shoes and helmet mirror),
so not one to talk" S.

This is a now win proposition. He whipped me? He beat me? O never mind.

paladin