Need Route Suggestions - Solano Beach

Old June 27th 09, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul B. Anders

Default Need Route Suggestions - Solano Beach

On Jun 26, 6:59*pm, "Steve Freides" wrote:
"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote in messagenews:Cq6dnUMYydi08djXnZ2dnUVZ_rSdnZ2d@earth link.com...

"Steve Freides" wrote in message
"Paul B. Anders" wrote in message
Need route suggestions for morning rides from Solano Beach. We're
going to be there from Sat-Sat in a beach house and I'm bringing my
bike. Hwy 1 is obvious, I'm looking for inland rides with some
climbing. My fitness is non-racer level, barely above rec rider
level.
I can go for 2 to 3 hours with some climbing. Any moderate group
rides
would be interesting, too.

How about asking on rec.bicycles.rides or rec.bicycles.misc? *How
about finding the local bike club - Google "directory of bicycle
clubs." *You can also find online route maps nowadays.

Ahem, in case you're new here Brad was a mainstay of this group until
he moved from the Bay Area.

Ahem duly noted - my suggestions are still quite reasonable, IMHO.

-S-

They're not bad, except those groups don't get much traffic these
days, and beside, I knew Henry would have a good route for me. Plus,
it was another opportunity to tell people how much I suck on the bike.

Brad Anders
Old June 27th 09, 05:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul B. Anders

On Jun 26, 8:58*pm, KG wrote:
On Jun 26, 5:03*pm, Susan Walker wrote:

Paul B. Anders wrote:
Need route suggestions for morning rides from Solano Beach. We're
going to be there from Sat-Sat in a beach house and I'm bringing my
bike. Hwy 1 is obvious, I'm looking for inland rides with some
climbing. My fitness is non-racer level, barely above rec rider level..
I can go for 2 to 3 hours with some climbing. Any moderate group rides
would be interesting, too.

How about 5 hours?http://www.bikemap.net/route/218798
(only route I could find on there around Solana (with an a) Beach)

Dumbass -

The area of the loop in that route is incredible. Couser Canyon is up
there with Palomar when it comes to twistiness. It may even be
twistier.

The route getting to that loop sorta sucks ass. There's some bike path
stuff and a bit of trafficy stuff.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

That route looks really awesome, but even if I were in shape to do it,
my wife would kick my ass if I disappeared for that long (we're on
vacation with the kids). The riding around there looks great, like the
routes in the SF Bay Area. I'll have to come back again on my own.
Thanks again to both of you.

Brad Anders
Old June 27th 09, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides[_2_]

[...]

************
Very good, Brad, and nice to make your acquaintance here, such as it is.
The local bike club is really the route to take here, no pun intended
(yeah, right).

By way of introducition, allow me to add that I suck on the bike, too.
I've never raced but I really enjoy following bike racing as a sport. I
did ride semi-seriously, albeit only recreationally, at one point in my
life, enough to manage to take a fixed-gear out on some of our local
bike club's A-level rides a few times, do a solo fixed-gear century, and
a few other things like that. I get most of my annual mileage in these
days at this even, http://groups.google.com/group/familycycling held
over Labor Day weekend each year.

Enjoy your vacation.

-S-

Old June 29th 09, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert Chung[_3_]

Paul B. Anders wrote:
Need route suggestions for morning rides from Solan[a] Beach.

Don't mess with the sheriff's deputies:

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...&zIndex=124089

Old June 30th 09, 09:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
KG[_2_]

On Jun 29, 2:31*pm, "Robert Chung"
wrote:
Paul B. Anders wrote:
Need route suggestions for morning rides from Solan[a] Beach.

Don't mess with the sheriff's deputies:

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...busby215750-ca...

Dumbass -

They're Nazis up there.

Not much crime, so busting up house parties is the most action they
get.

Old June 30th 09, 10:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro[_3_]

Robert Chung wrote:
Don't mess with the sheriff's deputies:

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...&zIndex=124089