Wheels for an old Bianchi?

Old February 1st 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hell And High Water

Default Wheels for an old Bianchi?

I have an older, but very nice Bianchi.

Shimano 7 Speed

Thinking about new wheels.

I'm assuming any front wheel will fit, is that correct?

And what do I need to look for in a rear wheel?

Thanks,

-Bob
Old February 1st 08, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Feb 1, 1:26 pm, Hell And High Water
wrote:
I have an older, but very nice Bianchi.

Shimano 7 Speed

Thinking about new wheels.

I'm assuming any front wheel will fit, is that correct?

And what do I need to look for in a rear wheel?

Well, if you want to stay with the kit you have, the better choice
IMHO would be to build a new wheel with your old hub using a nice rim
and double butted spokes.

Alternately you can spread the drops, assuming the bike is steel, 4mm,
and use a modern 8/9/10 speed cassette type wheel. You'll then need
the corresponding shifters for the cogset you choose.
Old February 2nd 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
daveornee[_139_]

Hell And High Water Wrote:
I have an older, but very nice Bianchi.

Shimano 7 Speed

Thinking about new wheels.

I'm assuming any front wheel will fit, is that correct?

And what do I need to look for in a rear wheel?

Thanks,

-Bob

Front spacing is 100 mm.
Rear may be 126 or 130 mm. Check for sure.
Steel Frame?
700C or 27" wheels?
There are some nice old Shimano Cassette hubs for 7 speed 126 mm spaced
frames, but it is much more forward thinking to spread to 130 mm and use
130 mm hubs. If you want to still use 7 speed cassettes, you can with a
4.5 mm spacer.

--
daveornee

Old February 2nd 08, 03:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sheldon Brown

Quoth Dave Ornee:

Illustrated at: http://sheldonbrown.com/spacing

Steel Frame?
700C or 27" wheels?
There are some nice old Shimano Cassette hubs for 7 speed 126 mm spaced
frames, but it is much more forward thinking to spread to 130 mm and use
130 mm hubs.

Dave's right. See: http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing for a how-
to.

Sheldon "It's Easy" Brown
| I'm Sheldon Brown, and I approved this message. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
http://captainbike.com
Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
http://sheldonbrown.com

Old February 2nd 08, 10:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Gillies

Hell And High Water writes:

I have an older, but very nice Bianchi.
Shimano 7 Speed
Thinking about new wheels.
I'm assuming any front wheel will fit, is that correct?

No. 28" wheels (for police bikes) won't fit. They will hit the fork
and rear seat tube, most likely.

And what do I need to look for in a rear wheel?
Thanks,
-Bob

Round ? Cassette or Freewheel Threads ? Accepts Tires ? You're not
giving us a lot to go on, you know. Why are you wanting new wheels?
Sick of driving the old ones?

What will the new wheels be for, touring, sport, or racing?
Do you want the bike to be more lively (faster acceleration)?
Do you want the bike to be more aerodynamic (less wind resistance/spokes)?

Like so many cyclists today, do you have $800 to spend on sunglasses,
shoes, and kit?? If so, then I'm sure $1500 is of no consequence when
it comes to wheels ... Or, are you interested in value for money, and
durability? You might have the perfect set of wheels in shimano 105
already, you know ... CyclingPlus in the UK recently rated some 30-odd
wheelsets and a conventional Shimano 105 wheelset from a local wheel
builder was awarded its highest rating, for its combination of
lightness, straightness, and value-for-money ...

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old February 2nd 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thejen12[_2_]

On Feb 1, 11:26*am, Hell And High Water
wrote:
I have an older, but very nice Bianchi.

Shimano 7 Speed

Thinking about new wheels.

I'm assuming any front wheel will fit, is that correct?

And what do I need to look for in a rear wheel?

Thanks,

-Bob

Bob,

My husband has a 126 Mavic Open Pro rim laced to a Shimano 7-speed
freehub, lightly used, for sale for $100 plus shipping. Includes a
Dura Ace 12-28 seven speed freewheel. Located in Santa Clara, CA.
Email me for pictures, if you're interested.

Jenn