Cycling accidents - British TV documentary

Old October 7th 08, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doki

Default Cycling accidents - British TV documentary

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 11:05:57 +0100, Mark McNeill
said in
:

A quick look online supports his gmail address: a Dr Ed Harriman at that
IP address, who seems well-respected as a documentary maker. If he's
that one, he writes for the London Review of Books, which must count for
something. ;-)

Seems fair enough. He's unlikely to find many interview subjects,
though, as being crushed by a truck tends to limit your future
participation in TV documentaries :-(

Darwinism in action. Cycle into a gap on the left hand side of a truck and
you're asking to be knocked down. The blind spots are big on a panel van, on
a HGV they must be enormous.

Old October 7th 08, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

bugbear wrote:
ed wrote:
We make serious documentaries for British TV - BBC and Channel 4
mostly, and are now working on programme about cycling accidents
involving heavy goods vehicles around the UK.

There have been several accidents, and deaths, in London so far this
year which have been comvered, to some extent, by the press.

But what about accidents outside London around the rest of the
country? We have found these very hard to find.

Are coroners reports not available in some form?

Shroudwaving media scum prefer other people to do their work for them.
Old October 7th 08, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pob

"ed" wrote in message
We make serious documentaries for British TV - BBC and Channel 4
mostly, and are now working on programme about cycling accidents
involving heavy goods vehicles around the UK.

There have been several accidents, and deaths, in London so far this
year which have been comvered, to some extent, by the press.

But what about accidents outside London around the rest of the
country? We have found these very hard to find. If you know of such
accidents involving heavy good vehicles, outside of London, please get
in touch.

Many thanks. We would like your help.

A quick ghoulish google on the search term cyclist killed .uk turns up a a
depressing quantity of deaths.

A chap was killed earlier this year in Edinburgh, he worked in an affiliated
department to the one I work in, and Jason MacIntyre, a very highly regarded
cyclist, was killed up near Fort William at the start of the year.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle3195870.ece
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/to...-of.4031109.jp

The Edinburgh report also includes brief details of two other, fortunately
non-fatal, car vs bike incidents slightly before the fatal incident.

pOB

Old October 7th 08, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 17:31:41 +0100, Marc
wrote:

bugbear wrote:
ed wrote:
We make serious documentaries for British TV - BBC and Channel 4
mostly, and are now working on programme about cycling accidents
involving heavy goods vehicles around the UK.

There have been several accidents, and deaths, in London so far this
year which have been comvered, to some extent, by the press.

But what about accidents outside London around the rest of the
country? We have found these very hard to find.

Are coroners reports not available in some form?

Shroudwaving media scum prefer other people to do their work for them.

Hello Round

Still nothing civil to contribute I see.

--
I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy Chapman)
Some evidence shows that helmeted cyclists are more likely to hit

Old October 8th 08, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

wrote:

bugbear wrote:
ed wrote:
We make serious documentaries for British TV - BBC and Channel 4
mostly, and are now working on programme about cycling accidents
involving heavy goods vehicles around the UK.

There have been several accidents, and deaths, in London so far this
year which have been comvered, to some extent, by the press.

But what about accidents outside London around the rest of the
country? We have found these very hard to find.
Are coroners reports not available in some form?

Shroudwaving media scum prefer other people to do their work for them.

Hello Round

Still nothing civil to contribute I see.

And yet strangely apposite all the same.

BugBear
Old October 8th 08, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith

wrote:

bugbear wrote:
ed wrote:
We make serious documentaries for British TV - BBC and Channel 4
mostly, and are now working on programme about cycling accidents
involving heavy goods vehicles around the UK.

There have been several accidents, and deaths, in London so far this
year which have been comvered, to some extent, by the press.

But what about accidents outside London around the rest of the
country? We have found these very hard to find.
Are coroners reports not available in some form?
Shroudwaving media scum prefer other people to do their work for them.

Hello Round

Still nothing civil to contribute I see.

And yet strangely apposite all the same.

BugBear

The guy comes here with a reasonable request - a simple check
indicates that he is probably above board - others sensibly ask for
more info' - but all Round can do is give a gratuitous insult by
referring to him as "Shroudwaving media scum"

--

If you're going to make snide insinuations about the author,
as you undoubtedly did, then you can **** right off. (Guy Chapman)

Old October 8th 08, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Harry Erwin

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 04:06:34 -0700 (PDT), "
said in
:

It may be there are not that many large vehicle collisions outside of
major urban areas particularly as they tend to be 'anacdotally' left
turn collisions from stationary.

True, this does seem to be mainly a London problem, but as you say
that could just be reporting issues. I know there are high level
meetings about the issue of LGV collisions going on in London right
now.

Guy

Not just a London problem--I had a close call yesterday when a HGV made
a two-lane change through me (in the middle lane headed into a
roundabout). Probably not as common here in the north as the traffic
isn't quite as insane as in London. I suspect it has to do with
enforcement.

--
Harry Erwin http://www.theworld.com/~herwin
My neuroscience wikiwiki is at
Old October 8th 08, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat[_2_]

"bugbear" wrote in message
news
Old October 8th 08, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Kane

On Oct 7, 9:09*am, Jallaphanti wrote:
On Oct 7, 10:38*am, ed wrote:

We make serious documentaries for British TV - BBC and Channel 4
mostly, and are now working on programme about cycling accidents
involving heavy goods vehicles around the UK.

There have been several accidents, and deaths, in London so far this
year which have been comvered, to some extent, by the press.

But what about accidents outside London around the rest of the
country? *We have found these very hard to find. *If you know of such
accidents involving heavy good vehicles, outside of London, please get
in touch.

Many thanks. *We would like your help.

Surely there are other more accurate ways of getting such data than
requesting on an internet forum?

Not necessarily, at least as a check on other sources or a first
sweep. URC readers are probably the main group in the UK who are
intensely interested in such a topic. There is probably more
expertise on safe cycling, cycling injuries, road design as related to
safe cycling and even gasp helmets here than anywhere else in the UK.
What participants down know they probably know who does or how to find
it.

John Kane Kingston

Old October 9th 08, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 02:38:01 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be ed
wrote this:-

We make serious documentaries for British TV - BBC and Channel 4
mostly,

Though you have not said who "we" are.

and are now working on programme about cycling accidents
involving heavy goods vehicles around the UK.

You used the a-word several times. If you were making a serious
documentary you would not use the a-word so much.

My impression of your posting is that you are part of the problem,
rather than the solution.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

The rise of British cycling (sport that is) Colin Blackburn[_2_] UK 8 August 19th 08 10:15 AM
Rise in cycling accidents triggers crackdown in Sausalito Eric Vey Social Issues 7 April 18th 08 01:08 AM
Final Session With British Cycling vernon UK 6 October 19th 07 10:03 AM
cycling accidents mm UK 13 November 13th 05 12:20 AM
practicing high-speed cycling accidents [email protected] UK 1 March 16th 05 04:38 PM