Adjustment screw for brake pads had no effect

Old July 22nd 20, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Adjustment screw for brake pads had no effect

When I use the adjustment screw to adjust how far the pads are away from the rim,
neither side moves the pad.

One side is touching the rim while the other does not.

How can I fix that?

https://imgur.com/a/IiVjfKx

Andy
Old July 22nd 20, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMa9UqY9obk

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 22nd 20, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 10:24:47 AM UTC-7, AK wrote:
When I use the adjustment screw to adjust how far the pads are away from the rim,
neither side moves the pad.

One side is touching the rim while the other does not.

How can I fix that?

https://imgur.com/a/IiVjfKx

Andy

This sounds like the V-brake isn't properly installed. That adjustment is only to vary the spring tension so everything has to be set properly before that works properly.
Old July 22nd 20, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 1:04:44 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/22/2020 12:24 PM, AK wrote:
When I use the adjustment screw to adjust how far the pads are away from the rim,
neither side moves the pad.

One side is touching the rim while the other does not.

How can I fix that?

https://imgur.com/a/IiVjfKx

Andy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMa9UqY9obk

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thanks for the video. It helped a lot.

One brake pad was very unevenly worn.

Which caused it to rub.

I tried adjusting those "cups" but had no luck.

So I used my bench grinder to even both sides out.

Now there is no more rubbing when the brake is not applied.

Andy
Old July 23rd 20, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Stephen Bauman[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 1:24:47 PM UTC-4, AK wrote:
When I use the adjustment screw to adjust how far the pads are away from the rim,
neither side moves the pad.

One side is touching the rim while the other does not.

How can I fix that?

https://imgur.com/a/IiVjfKx

Andy

First, make sure the wheel is centered in the frame. You probably have vertical dropouts. With the bike on the ground, loosen the axle quick release or lock nut, push down bike to force the wheel into its maximum position in the frame, tighten the Q/R or locknut while still putting weight on the bike.

Second, it looks like there's a kink in the cable/noodle assembly. The cable and noodle come from the top tube and arcs downward.

Third, it looks like the bottom of the brake pad may not touch the rim when the brake is applied. This causes a notch to appear. The top part of the brake pad wears away from braking action. The bottom part does not do any braking because it misses the rim and remains at its initial size. This notch may inhibit the brake pad from returning to its relaxed position, when the brake lever is released. You can test this out by moving each brake arm by hand. Monitor for the amount of force necessary to move brake from the rim to a normal position.
Old July 23rd 20, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Weeks

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 12:24:47 PM UTC-5, AK wrote:
When I use the adjustment screw to adjust how far the pads are away from the rim, neither side moves the pad.

I see you fixed your problem, but this might be of general interest.
Earlier this week, the front V-brake on my commuter bike became unbalanced, with one shoe dragging slightly on the rim. At work, I adjusted the spring tension, but on the way to the train station after work it was dragging again. When I got off the train for the 4-mile ride home, I found that the screw would no longer adjust the position of the arm. As a last resort, I attempted to bend the spring to give it more tension... it snapped off in my hand! Cyclic fatigue rears its ugly head. Now shopping for replacement brakes.

Old July 23rd 20, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 7:50:16 PM UTC-5, Steve Weeks wrote:
On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 12:24:47 PM UTC-5, AK wrote:
When I use the adjustment screw to adjust how far the pads are away from the rim, neither side moves the pad.

I see you fixed your problem, but this might be of general interest.
Earlier this week, the front V-brake on my commuter bike became unbalanced, with one shoe dragging slightly on the rim. At work, I adjusted the spring tension, but on the way to the train station after work it was dragging again. When I got off the train for the 4-mile ride home, I found that the screw would no longer adjust the position of the arm. As a last resort, I attempted to bend the spring to give it more tension... it snapped off in my hand! Cyclic fatigue rears its ugly head. Now shopping for replacement brakes.

Thanks for the info.

I found this, it might work for you.

https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-BR-T4...5470318&sr=8-1
Old July 23rd 20, 03:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 6:29:48 PM UTC-5, Stephen Bauman wrote:
On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 1:24:47 PM UTC-4, AK wrote:
When I use the adjustment screw to adjust how far the pads are away from the rim,
neither side moves the pad.

One side is touching the rim while the other does not.

How can I fix that?

https://imgur.com/a/IiVjfKx

Andy

First, make sure the wheel is centered in the frame. You probably have vertical dropouts. With the bike on the ground, loosen the axle quick release or lock nut, push down bike to force the wheel into its maximum position in the frame, tighten the Q/R or locknut while still putting weight on the bike.

Second, it looks like there's a kink in the cable/noodle assembly. The cable and noodle come from the top tube and arcs downward.

Where should the cable and noodle come from?

Andy
Old July 23rd 20, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 17:50:14 -0700 (PDT), Steve Weeks
wrote:

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 12:24:47 PM UTC-5, AK wrote:
When I use the adjustment screw to adjust how far the pads are away from the rim, neither side moves the pad.

I see you fixed your problem, but this might be of general interest.
Earlier this week, the front V-brake on my commuter bike became unbalanced, with one shoe dragging slightly on the rim. At work, I adjusted the spring tension, but on the way to the train station after work it was dragging again. When I got off the train for the 4-mile ride home, I found that the screw would no longer adjust the position of the arm. As a last resort, I attempted to bend the spring to give it more tension... it snapped off in my hand! Cyclic fatigue rears its ugly head. Now shopping for replacement brakes.

One thing that I have noticed, particularly if one has replaced the
outer portion of the brake cable, is that the length and bend of the
cable before it meets the brake "Noodle" quite often causes the Vee
brake arms to be forced in one direction or the other and can, in some
cases, lead to the brakes dragging on the rim.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Name of screw that holds the rear brake cable AK[_2_] Techniques 93 August 24th 19 12:27 AM
brake adjust screw (screw with hole and cylinder) Emanuel Berg[_2_] Techniques 5 May 22nd 18 08:57 PM
Brake adjustment StainlessSteelRat UK 6 June 13th 06 03:32 AM
Brake adjustment? alison_b Australia 6 May 6th 05 03:35 AM
V-Brake adjustment David Wood UK 4 December 24th 03 11:45 AM