team strategy in the mountain stages?

Old July 9th 05, 07:07 PM
Gary Funck

Default team strategy in the mountain stages?

Lots of talk today about Lance being left alone in the climb, his team not
having the
legs to stay with the leaders. Question: given that climbing is largely an
individual effort,
how do the other team members help? I can see how they might chase a break,
and
get in front and slow it down. But isn't the drafting effect in the climbs
minimal?
Or is it just the fact that they're not there in the descents and the flats
to help their
leader save energy?

Old July 9th 05, 07:53 PM

Armstrong isolated today stage 8............ Although I did not get to
see the stage yet. I don't understand why Lance was isolated today.
Seems quite strange considering how many good climbers Discovery has.

My only explanation is that Discovery's top climbers are older and
showing their age. But this does not make much sense since this was
only category 2 climb. In any case like Lance says: Discovery has a lot
of talking to do...

Old July 9th 05, 08:15 PM
Mad Dog

Gary Funck says...

Lots of talk today about Lance being left alone in the climb, his team not
having the
legs to stay with the leaders. Question: given that climbing is largely an
individual effort,
how do the other team members help? I can see how they might chase a break,
and
get in front and slow it down. But isn't the drafting effect in the climbs
minimal?

Not sure exactly which part of the hill Lance was talking about but in an
interview, he mentioned that the pace was 40 kph.

Or is it just the fact that they're not there in the descents and the flats
to help their
leader save energy?

Might be that he himself had to chase Vino and nobody was around to help when
Kloden went off.

But aside from all the little details, the big question is whether there's
nobody other than Lance on the Discovery team that's ready for the big hills?

Old July 9th 05, 08:44 PM
Ron Ruff

But isn't the drafting effect in the climbs
minimal?

It's less than it is on the flat, but on a "shallow" climb like today
it's still pretty significant. Lance's team generally sets a fast pace
at the bottom of climbs to discourage attacks... he could use up a lot
of energy trying to counter them all. By the time the last teammate has
dropped off, there are only a handful of contenders left (hopefully),
and the real race begins.

That didn't happen today... but it wasn't a very critical stage either.

Old July 9th 05, 09:48 PM
Tim Mullin

"Ron Ruff" wrote in news:1120938278.761119.171320
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

... but it wasn't a very critical stage either.

Dumbass,
You try being the only one to chase down every break today, and see how
fresh you feel tomorrow on the big climbs. When they come at you again and
again and again, and you're too tired from going it alone today, you'll see
how today's stage could be very critical. Perhaps Discovery shared your
opinion before the stage, and planned poorly. I doubt they see it that way
now.

Old July 13th 05, 08:47 AM
Raptor

Tim Mullin wrote:
"Ron Ruff" wrote in news:1120938278.761119.171320
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

... but it wasn't a very critical stage either.

Dumbass,
You try being the only one to chase down every break today, and see how
fresh you feel tomorrow on the big climbs. When they come at you again and
again and again, and you're too tired from going it alone today, you'll see
how today's stage could be very critical. Perhaps Discovery shared your
opinion before the stage, and planned poorly. I doubt they see it that way
now.

Besides the oft-mentioned hedge against a mechanical or crash, you raise
a good point. When chasing an attack, having even one other bike between
you and the attacking rider helps a lot. For me, it's often the
difference between hanging on and getting dropped.

Conservative dictionary:
Judicial Activist: n. A judge who tends to rule against your wishes.