Somehow No One Seems To Think

Old April 19th 08, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

Default Somehow No One Seems To Think

"SLAVE of THE STATE" wrote in message

You're assumming that any existing debt could not be restructured, or
that new producers would not step in after foreclosures and resales.
I don't see why (or why not), and so don't agree.

Look, after a company achieves a certain size, if it goes bankrupt the
economic fallout makes the entire economy unpredictable. Far better to
"save" these companies. What's more, all we provided were guarantees to the
creditors and in the end Chrysler handled everything themselves and we paid
nothing but attention.

You could say that about almost any human interaction, but property
rights and voluntary trade are not examples of social defects, but
success. Voluntary (peaceful) trade implicitly tells us that property
rights are a social meme as old as the hills. It is one aspect of
human (social) nature.

Human nature being what it is you need to keep a close watch over that heart
of mine. Or more succinctly - trust but varify because not all humans are
honorable.

Old April 19th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Hobbes@spnb&s.com

Default Putting your treasure where your mouth is/chickenhawks

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 05:38:03 -0700 (PDT), Bill C
wrote:

On Apr 16, 3:01*am, Howard Kveck wrote:

This is a point that lots of anti-war folks make, and while I think
they go way to far, they've got a good solid start on an argument.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/War_Terr...322241-ap.html

Son of newly appointed Dutch military chief among 2 dead in
Afghanistan

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

The we had Harry pulling grunt duty, not REMF, photo-op BS, and proud
of that in Afghanistan:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/ne...00/7271091.stm

I remember seeing some of the Democratic leaderships kids being over
there for us, you'd think that the Neo-Con folks would've encouraged
their kids to serve, and there in particular. Seems to be MIA as a
philosophy though except for McCain, and he couls easily say that he
paid enough for the family's debt to this great country, but doesn't.
Doesn't even have to be military service, go over with a humanitarian
group, help the rebuilding and see, touch, hear, and smell the reality
of what's going on. Not sure if I'll have one, or two kids "punch the
ticket" with military service, and if not they'll find other ways to
do it by service to those who are in need. Daughter is totally anti-
Hillary because she wants to be first as a woman Pres. Not sure that a
gun shooting, pro-military, vegetarian, sport bike riding, cycling,
pierced, tattooed, theater/dance minor, Pagan Lawyer who's militant on
human and civil rights from Mass. is electable though, especially if
she gets the transfer to Smith for next year.

The Massachusetts thing is a deal killer. She'll have to relocate to some other
part of the country and adopt the accent before running. Otherwise, she's
perfect. I'm already convinced I'd rather vote for her than Bammy or Hill.

And most of you folks think I'm a bit odd...
Seriously though I have to respect and the other folks out there who
were, and are willing to put their greatest treasures in harms way.
Bill C

Old April 20th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

On Apr 18, 7:48*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"SLAVE of THE STATE" wrote in ...

Voluntary (peaceful) trade implicitly tells us that property
rights are a social meme as old as the hills. It is one aspect of
human (social) nature.

Human nature being what it is you need to keep a close watch over that heart
of mine. Or more succinctly - trust but varify because not all humans are
honorable.

No kidding: that is why I made a special point to include the language
of "one aspect."

The power aspect of human nature does not seem mysterious to anyone,
or it does not appear that way in any talk I listen too. What does
seem mysterious to many is what is socially balanced against power:
the social principle of liberty and its offshoots like property
rights.

I view a lot of discussion as heavily biased on the power aspect, and
therefore I bias my counters to instead focus on the power balancing/
tensioning aspect of liberty. Therefore, my individual positions
(taken together) have an appearance of undue focus on that one
aspect. But I do that to restore a collective equilibrium, since
people have no compunction about affecting me with their notions.

This means that whatever I say (which) appears to be the words of an
unbalanced individual is actually everyone else's fault. {laughs}