Cyclist with young kids on board - safely

Old May 19th 13, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
CJB

Default Cyclist with young kids on board - safely

Wondering what folks here think are about cycling safely with young
kids on board. I've seen all kinds of methods from trailers (with
fkags on poles), to kiddie seats behind the parent (usually the
father) where a saddle bag might go.

But today I saw the most stupid arrangement in which a young kid was
sitting in a kind of seat attached to the FRONT of the handlebars.
This was not a home-made lash up but appeared to be a purposely made
manufactured seating fitment. It effectively clipped onto the handle
bars above the front wheel and was where a front basket on a utility
bike might have been. But if the bike had run into the back of a
suddenly stopping car (like they do), or if the bike had run into
something then the bike and parent and kid would have been catapulted
straight onto the kid's head. Incidentally the kid - a boy of about 3
- was NOT wearing a helmet, neither was his father,

CJB.
Old May 19th 13, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
nik.morgan[_2_]

CJB wrote:
[...]

This is common elsewhere and I can't see it as any more dangerous than
having a child behind you where you can't see what it's getting up to.
Helmets makes no difference, we are repeatedly told that.
--
ennemm
Old May 19th 13, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Sun, 19 May 2013 02:12:55 -0700 (PDT), CJB wrote:

But if the bike had run into the back of a suddenly stopping car
(like they do),

Do they? I don't think I've ever seen or experienced a bike running
into the back of a car. Cars seems to run into the back of cars
quite regularly (I'm frequently hearing of multiple pile-ups, and
indeed have been in the middle of one myself), but it's not a crash
scenario that bicycles seem prone to.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old May 19th 13, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

wrote:

But if the bike had run into the back of a suddenly stopping car
(like they do),

Do they? I don't think I've ever seen or experienced a bike running
into the back of a car. Cars seems to run into the back of cars
quite regularly (I'm frequently hearing of multiple pile-ups, and
indeed have been in the middle of one myself), but it's not a crash
scenario that bicycles seem prone to.

regards, Ian SMith

plenty on you tube, even Cavendish ran into the back of one:
http://news.sky.com/story/1013512/ma...ar-in-training

Old May 19th 13, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mentalguy2k8[_2_]

"CJB" wrote in message

Wondering what folks here think are about cycling safely with young
kids on board. I've seen all kinds of methods from trailers (with
fkags on poles), to kiddie seats behind the parent (usually the
father) where a saddle bag might go.

But isn't it striking that you *very* rarely hear of anyone ever being
knocked off their bike when they're carrying a child?

Parents carrying a kid (in my experience) tend to be far less reckless and
more likely to obey the "rules of the road" than the "usual" cyclist. God
forbid there might be a correlation between riding responsibly and safely,
and lower accident statistics?

Very odd, since we're led to believe that oblivious, aggressive and unaware
drivers are the cause of 100% of cyling accidents, and therefore wouldn't
see or make allowances for a child.

Old May 19th 13, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

wrote:

But if the bike had run into the back of a suddenly stopping car
(like they do),

Do they? I don't think I've ever seen or experienced a bike
running into the back of a car. Cars seems to run into the back
of cars quite regularly (I'm frequently hearing of multiple
pile-ups, and indeed have been in the middle of one myself), but
it's not a crash scenario that bicycles seem prone to.

plenty on you tube, even Cavendish ran into the back of one:
http://news.sky.com/story/1013512/ma...ar-in-training

Do you think it likely that a person with a child on a seat on the
front of their bike will ride like a professional racer on a training
ride?

Since I was not present on Cavendish's training ride, my statement
above remains absolutely true, however, I can amend my statement if you
like:

Do they? I don't think I've ever seen, experienced or even heard of a
bike being used as A to B transport running into the back of a car.

Old May 19th 13, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mentalguy2k8[_2_]

. ..
wrote:

But if the bike had run into the back of a suddenly stopping car
(like they do),

Do they? I don't think I've ever seen or experienced a bike
running into the back of a car. Cars seems to run into the back
of cars quite regularly (I'm frequently hearing of multiple
pile-ups, and indeed have been in the middle of one myself), but
it's not a crash scenario that bicycles seem prone to.

plenty on you tube, even Cavendish ran into the back of one:

http://news.sky.com/story/1013512/ma...ar-in-training

Do you think it likely that a person with a child on a seat on the
front of their bike will ride like a professional racer on a training
ride?

No, which supports the point that people with a child on their bike are more
likely to ride within the laws and their own capabilities and be less likely
to be involved in an accident. Which in turn supports the wider point that
the vast majority of cycling accidents are caused by the cyclists
themselves.

Old May 19th 13, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 19/05/2013 12:31, Ian Smith wrote:
On Sun, 19 May 2013 02:12:55 -0700 (PDT), CJB wrote:

But if the bike had run into the back of a suddenly stopping car
(like they do),

Do they? I don't think I've ever seen or experienced a bike running
into the back of a car. Cars seems to run into the back of cars
quite regularly (I'm frequently hearing of multiple pile-ups, and
indeed have been in the middle of one myself), but it's not a crash
scenario that bicycles seem prone to.

I've done it a few times, yes I know it says something about my riding
style. Generally it isn't that serious for the rider although it is a
good way to kill a bike frame.

Needless to say I wasn't carrying a kid on the handlebars when it happened.

Old May 19th 13, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 19/05/2013 13:52, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

No, which supports the point that people with a child on their bike are
more likely to ride within the laws and their own capabilities and be
less likely to be involved in an accident.

Actually I suspect they are more likely to break the law by riding on
the pavement. You appear to be confusing obeying the law with riding safely.

Which in turn supports the
wider point that the vast majority of cycling accidents are caused by
the cyclists themselves.

Gosh I think you have got something there! Bicycle accidents are caused
by people riding bicycles. I wonder if your stunning insight also
applies to motorists?
Old May 19th 13, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Partac[_10_]

"Nick" wrote in message
eb.com...

On 19/05/2013 13:52, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

No, which supports the point that people with a child on their bike are
more likely to ride within the laws and their own capabilities and be
less likely to be involved in an accident.

Actually I suspect they are more likely to break the law by riding on
the pavement. You appear to be confusing obeying the law with riding safely.

Which in turn supports the
wider point that the vast majority of cycling accidents are caused by
the cyclists themselves.

Gosh I think you have got something there! Bicycle accidents are caused
by people riding bicycles. I wonder if your stunning insight also
applies to motorists?

I'm sure it does, too. However, it obviously doesn't apply to psycholists,
who stand firm on the belief that it's never the cyclists fault - it's
always someone else. Usually the nearest (or soonest to appear) motorist.

Another young cyclist injured Paul Boyd UK 31 December 12th 06 02:55 PM
Young cyclist killed wafflycat UK 145 December 7th 06 01:33 PM
Young Cyclist Garrotted Rob UK 13 May 14th 06 05:56 PM
Young cyclist killed Brian General 208 February 12th 04 01:09 AM
Injured young cyclist dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers UK 8 December 4th 03 07:44 PM