FGW Bans Bikes for the Ride London Weekend

Old July 25th 13, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
CJB

Default FGW Bans Bikes for the Ride London Weekend

I am a keen cyclist. I would love to support this event, however I have no way of getting my bike from Hayes & Harlington (near Heathrow) into London.

In a spirit of arrogant non-co-operation First Great Western has banned ALL bikes from local services making it impossible for anyone from Paddington and points west to Reading and Oxford to join in.

FGW trains are grossly over-crowded to cattle truck conditions as it is. This gross mismanagement is appalling but par for the course.
Old July 25th 13, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

CJB wrote:
I am a keen cyclist. I would love to support this event, however I
have no way of getting my bike from Hayes & Harlington (near
Heathrow) into London.

In a spirit of arrogant non-co-operation First Great Western has
banned ALL bikes from local services making it impossible for anyone
from Paddington and points west to Reading and Oxford to join in.

FGW trains are grossly over-crowded to cattle truck conditions as it
is. This gross mismanagement is appalling but par for the course.

Why can't you ride your bike to the event, is a bicycle NOT viable transport
now?

Old July 25th 13, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
CJB

On Thursday, 25 July 2013 11:28:18 UTC+1, Mrcheerful wrote:
CJB wrote:

I am a keen cyclist. I would love to support this event, however I

have no way of getting my bike from Hayes & Harlington (near

Heathrow) into London.

In a spirit of arrogant non-co-operation First Great Western has

banned ALL bikes from local services making it impossible for anyone

from Paddington and points west to Reading and Oxford to join in.

FGW trains are grossly over-crowded to cattle truck conditions as it

is. This gross mismanagement is appalling but par for the course.

Why can't you ride your bike to the event, is a bicycle NOT viable transport

now?

Riding from Heathrow to Central London is not an option. There are NO safe routes - other than the canal towpath (for which a permit is required).

The roads around Heathrow are FAR from safe especially with speeding catering trucks and white vans etc.

And riding from Oxford or Reading to London defeats the object of a traffic free day in London itself.
Old July 25th 13, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mentalguy2k8[_2_]

"CJB" wrote in message

I am a keen cyclist. I would love to support this event, however I have no
way of getting my bike from Hayes & Harlington (near Heathrow) into London.

In a spirit of arrogant non-co-operation First Great Western has banned
ALL bikes from local services making it impossible for anyone from
Paddington and points west to Reading and Oxford to join in.

It's about time train companies listened to the majority and are now
protecting them from the stench of cyclists and their greasy bikes.

FGW trains are grossly over-crowded to cattle truck conditions as it is.

So your answer is to squeeze some bikes in there as well??? Surely less
stuff in passenger compartments would be more sensible?

Old July 25th 13, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

CJB wrote:

[...]

Not really viable transport then.
Send your toy by courier, in advance, in a white van.

Old July 25th 13, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mentalguy2k8[_2_]

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
CJB wrote:
I am a keen cyclist. I would love to support this event, however I
have no way of getting my bike from Hayes & Harlington (near
Heathrow) into London.

In a spirit of arrogant non-co-operation First Great Western has
banned ALL bikes from local services making it impossible for anyone
from Paddington and points west to Reading and Oxford to join in.

FGW trains are grossly over-crowded to cattle truck conditions as it
is. This gross mismanagement is appalling but par for the course.

Why can't you ride your bike to the event, is a bicycle NOT viable
transport now?

About as viable as flatpack furniture if you've got to ferry it to wherever
you're going to ride it and/or are scared of a bit of traffic.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of these cretins rode to London on the train
tracks, "commanding the lane" and making the Intercity 125s follow them at
4mph.

Old July 25th 13, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 03:22:29 -0700 (PDT), CJB wrote:

I am a keen cyclist. I would love to support this event, however I have no way of getting my bike from Hayes & Harlington (near Heathrow) into London.

In a spirit of arrogant non-co-operation First Great Western has banned ALL bikes from local services making it impossible for anyone from Paddington and points west to Reading and Oxford to join in.

FGW trains are grossly over-crowded to cattle truck conditions as it is. This gross mismanagement is appalling but par for the course.

Why don't you cycle: I thought it was an acceptable means of travelling?

Anyway - excellent news - why on earth should a load of sweaty cyclists add to
ordinary passengers' discomfort.
Old July 25th 13, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

wrote:

I am a keen cyclist. I would love to support this event, however I have no way of getting my bike from Hayes & Harlington (near Heathrow) into London.

Can you cycle to Houslow West, take the Piccadilly line to Green Park,
Jubilee Line to North Greenwich, then cycle through the Blackwall
Tunnel to the start.

A bike and public transport makes a powerful and robust combination.
If one route fails, simply re-route.

Old July 25th 13, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Piatkow

On Thursday, 25 July 2013 11:22:29 UTC+1, CJB wrote:
I am a keen cyclist. I would love to support this event, however I have no way of getting my bike from Hayes & Harlington (near Heathrow) into London.

In a spirit of arrogant non-co-operation First Great Western has banned ALL bikes from local services making it impossible for anyone from Paddington and points west to Reading and Oxford to join in.

FGW trains are grossly over-crowded to cattle truck conditions as it is. This gross mismanagement is appalling but par for the course.

Frivolous hypermobility surely
Old July 25th 13, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Thursday, 25 July 2013 11:45:39 UTC+1, Mrcheerful wrote:

Not really viable transport then.

How do motorists get their cars to France for their holidays?