First fall (just a little one)

Old July 24th 05, 06:40 PM
Peewiglet

Default First fall (just a little one)

I managed to fall off today for the first time. Luckily there was
no-one else there (except for a man across the road, who was kind
enough not to laugh openly). I was wearing slightly larger trainers
than usual, and I got them stuck in my toe clips. When I couldn't get
my left foot out the bike just toppled over and fell to the ground.

blush

All that happened was a bruised shin and scraped elbow, and a lot of
embarassment...

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
Old July 24th 05, 06:51 PM
Graham Dean

"Peewiglet" wrote in message
I managed to fall off today for the first time. Luckily there was
no-one else there (except for a man across the road, who was kind
enough not to laugh openly). I was wearing slightly larger trainers
than usual, and I got them stuck in my toe clips. When I couldn't get
my left foot out the bike just toppled over and fell to the ground.

blush

All that happened was a bruised shin and scraped elbow, and a lot of
embarassment...

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
/ \ / \ pee AT [guessthisbit].co.uk

:-) well, why wait until you get your clipless pedals.......

hope you're okay though!

Graham

Old July 24th 05, 06:55 PM
wafflycat

"Peewiglet" wrote in message

All that happened was a bruised shin and scraped elbow, and a lot of
embarassment...

Just a spot of training for when you first try clipless ;-)

Cheers, helen s

Old July 24th 05, 08:14 PM
Peewiglet

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:51:51 +0000 (UTC), "Graham Dean"
wrote:

:-) well, why wait until you get your clipless pedals.......

hope you're okay though!

Thank you :-) It's good to get the first one over and done with!

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
Old July 24th 05, 08:14 PM
Peewiglet

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:55:15 +0100, "wafflycat"
waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk wrote:

"Peewiglet" wrote in message
.. .

All that happened was a bruised shin and scraped elbow, and a lot of
embarassment...

Just a spot of training for when you first try clipless ;-)

g They sound a bit scarey! :-)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
Old July 24th 05, 08:31 PM
wafflycat

"Peewiglet" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:55:15 +0100, "wafflycat"
waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk wrote:

"Peewiglet" wrote in message
. ..

All that happened was a bruised shin and scraped elbow, and a lot of
embarassment...

Just a spot of training for when you first try clipless ;-)

g They sound a bit scarey! :-)

Well when I was getting used to clipless it meant I discovered the main
advantage to having a large rear end - the padding was useful ;-)

Cheers, helen s

Old July 24th 05, 09:10 PM
Tony

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 20:31:36 +0100, "wafflycat"
waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk wrote:

All that happened was a bruised shin and scraped elbow, and a lot of
embarassment...

Just a spot of training for when you first try clipless ;-)

g They sound a bit scarey! :-)

Well when I was getting used to clipless it meant I discovered the main
advantage to having a large rear end - the padding was useful ;-)

Cheers, helen s

Rule 1 for falling off (I assume you're in the UK ?) :

Always fall to your left - away from traffic ! With luck, on country
lanes, this will also mean a grass verge or bank to land on (softer
than tarmac). Also means gears less likely to get damaged.

the injuries you sustained will of course have shewn you how vital a
h*lm*t is ... :-(

Tony

PS I've got a First Aid cert (expired) - anything you want kissed
better ?
Old July 24th 05, 10:10 PM
The Nottingham Duck

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:40:43 +0100, Peewiglet
wrote:

I managed to fall off today for the first time.

All that happened was a bruised shin and scraped elbow, and a lot of
embarassment...

So no damage to your clothing ?

I 'surfed the tarmac without a boogy-board' once while out
time-trialling and all I could think about was my new skinsuit.
You'll be glad to know it wasn't ripped or stained,thanks largely to
the film of rainwater I aquaplaned on.
But if the road wasn't wet would I have come off in the first place...
Old July 25th 05, 09:20 AM
Peter B

"Peewiglet" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:55:15 +0100, "wafflycat"
Just a spot of training for when you first try clipless ;-)

g They sound a bit scarey! :-)

The thing to do is find some nice soft grass with few people, say a park
early in the morning, and then practice, practice, practice. Start off
supporting yourself against a wall/fence/whatever then move into open space
when you've got the basics.
If you do fall off in practice try to avoid the reaction of stretching out
your arm and landing on your hand, instead aim to land on your shoulder
(yes, I know this is easier said than done), or at least don't lock your
elbow.
Also: don't forget to set the release tension to its lowest setting,
initially at least.

In well over a decade of using clipless on the road I've only fell off once
clipped in when doing a trackstand and I'd already passed up ample
opportunities to unclip and put my foot down ;-)
All my formative riding with clipless was done mtbing off-road (no traffic
to run over me and only friends to laugh at me :-) where falling off goes
with the territory, which is why I'm suggesting you practice in a safeish
environment.

I have read posts where people have stated they've "forgotten" to unclip, I
won't dispute their experience but to me it's like saying "I forgot to
brake".
Braking should be instinctive and unclipping should become so too after
going through the learning process.
Believe me I never consciously unclip any more than I walk by consciously
moving one leg in front of t'other.

Don't put too much store in scare stories, they may have a negative impact
on your learning process..

--
Pete

Old July 25th 05, 09:48 AM
David Martin

Peter B wrote:

I have read posts where people have stated they've "forgotten" to unclip, I
won't dispute their experience but to me it's like saying "I forgot to
brake".
Braking should be instinctive and unclipping should become so too after
going through the learning process.

I think it is up to the point where I subconciously twist my foot
sideways when getting off the bike, even when I am not using the
clips..

My pet hate though is borrowing a bike where the pedals are set so
loose that your feet unclip randomly (certain trice spring to mind -
Jon S will know what I mean). I started off using Look pedals and have
never found any SPDs that are too tight.

...d

Hiker Dies after a 50-Foot Fall in Md. Chris Foster Social Issues 0 August 4th 05 03:05 PM
How to fall, like a PRO! Catboy Unicycling 25 June 29th 05 12:57 AM
RR Fall on the water small change Mountain Biking 0 November 5th 04 04:10 AM
Fall is here! tcmedara Mountain Biking 0 October 10th 04 11:01 PM
Mountain biker in coma after fall, not expected to live DanTheMantisMan Mountain Biking 1 October 7th 03 12:29 PM