Sustrans Blues

Old June 7th 06, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Sustrans Blues

I was accosted by a Sustrans bloke today, young lad and very keen, he
was trying to tell me what Sustrans do. I told him I knew. So he
tried to tell me about the National Cycle Network. I know about that,
too... He asked me how I knew and I told him it was due to being a CTC
member. "Who?"

I despair.

Here he is, supposedly a cycling activist in reading, he had no idea
about CTC, the Reading DA's Sunday, Wednesday and Tuesday rides,
Reading Cycle Campaign, how to lobby local government, or what I would
regard as some fairly basic legal and cyclists' rights issues. Is it
that those of us in the know are not doing our job properly, or is
Sustrans doing a woeful job of informing its members and supporters? I
have a suspicion it might be the latter, as this is not the first time
something like this has happened.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old June 7th 06, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
[...]

You are making the fundamental mistake of thinking that Sustrans has
anything to do with cycling. He was just demonstrating that it clearly
doesn't, as many here have already realised.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old June 7th 06, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 19:30:08 +0100, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

I was accosted by a Sustrans bloke today, young lad and very keen, he was
trying to tell me what Sustrans do. I told him I knew. So he tried to
tell me about the National Cycle Network. I know about that, too... He
asked me how I knew and I told him it was due to being a CTC member.
"Who?"

Sounds like one of the businesses that collect for charidee. See the
recent thread "Proffesional begging" (sic) in this very froup this April.

Mike
Old June 7th 06, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
I was accosted by a Sustrans bloke today, young lad and very keen, he
was trying to tell me what Sustrans do. I told him I knew. So he
tried to tell me about the National Cycle Network. I know about that,
too... He asked me how I knew and I told him it was due to being a CTC
member. "Who?"

I was stopped last summer on the stretch between Kingston and Hampton Court.
Well, he stopped the two cyclists in front of me at the point where there is
a gate. Thinking he wouldn't be *that* stupid, I'd kept my pace up and had
to really hit the anchors. Didn't lose my temper, but did point out how
f***ing stupid it is to block the cycle path when purporting to be the
cyclists friend.

Old June 7th 06, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wrote:

I was accosted by a Sustrans bloke today
I despair.
Here he is, supposedly a cycling activist in reading, he had no idea
about CTC, the Reading DA's Sunday, Wednesday and Tuesday rides,
Reading Cycle Campaign, how to lobby local government, or what I would
regard as some fairly basic legal and cyclists' rights issues.

In the interests of balance, I'll counter your meeting of a bad one
with my meeting of a good one.

Was out enjoying the sunshine the other day and noticed a chap pulled
up at the side with a Birdy Grey. Stopped to ask him his opinion on
the Rohloff, found out he happened to be a Sustrans ranger and got
chatting about all sorts. He was friendly, interested, knowledgeable
and enthusiastic. He reminded me about our local Derby Cycling Group
and encouraged me to join up, told me about some local rides organised
for the coming few weeks and gave me a web address where I could find
out more about what the local Sustrans rangers are up to. He made an
excellent impression.

"Bob"

Old June 7th 06, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 19:52:59 +0100 someone who may be "elyob"
wrote this:-

I was stopped last summer on the stretch between Kingston and Hampton Court.
Well, he stopped the two cyclists in front of me at the point where there is
a gate. Thinking he wouldn't be *that* stupid, I'd kept my pace up and had
to really hit the anchors. Didn't lose my temper, but did point out how
f***ing stupid it is to block the cycle path when purporting to be the
cyclists friend.

I once observed officials from Fife Council accosting cyclists,
presumably for some "survey" or other. These bods were trying to
stop cyclists on their way to work, on a cold morning, half way up
the climb to the Forth Road Bridge (not particularly severe or long,
but still a climb). Several of the cyclists I observed thought
better of stopping for this "survey". The reasons they did not stop
are fairly obvious, though I doubt if the bods trying to stop them
were intelligent enough to understand the reasons.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old June 7th 06, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 19:22:09 GMT, Call me Bob
said in
:

Was out enjoying the sunshine the other day and noticed a chap pulled
up at the side with a Birdy Grey. Stopped to ask him his opinion on
the Rohloff, found out he happened to be a Sustrans ranger and got
chatting about all sorts.

Yes, I've found a couple of rangers to be very good. This guy clearly
was not, nor were the others. I think they are not professional
scroungers, as 'twere, but volunteers. I wonder if yer average CTC
volunteer knows about Sustrans? I'm guessing so.

Old June 7th 06, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Just zis Guy, you know?" typed

I wonder if yer average CTC
volunteer knows about Sustrans? I'm guessing so.

There usually a Sustrans leaflet tucked into Cycle(touring and
Campaigning) Magazine, isn't there?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old June 7th 06, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Tony Raven" wrote in message

You are making the fundamental mistake of thinking that Sustrans has
anything to do with cycling. He was just demonstrating that it clearly
doesn't, as many here have already realised.

Ne'er a truer word typed on a keyboard...

Old June 7th 06, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

elyob wrote:
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message

I was accosted by a Sustrans bloke today, young lad and very keen, he
was trying to tell me what Sustrans do. I told him I knew. So he
tried to tell me about the National Cycle Network. I know about that,
too... He asked me how I knew and I told him it was due to being a CTC
member. "Who?"

I was stopped last summer on the stretch between Kingston and Hampton Court.
Well, he stopped the two cyclists in front of me at the point where there is
a gate. Thinking he wouldn't be *that* stupid, I'd kept my pace up and had
to really hit the anchors. Didn't lose my temper, but did point out how
f***ing stupid it is to block the cycle path when purporting to be the
cyclists friend.

AOL A couple of Sunday's ago I was riding there with my daughter and
there was one, perhaps the same, at exactly that place. As it was the
day of the charidee Thames Bridges ride I guess he was trying to get new
mugs to fund the provision of indirect transport routes.

If you are keeping count there was another one a few weeks ago at
Teddington Lock. I was hailed so stopped for a chat but discovered he
was just a chugger.

Julesh

Sustrans - Olympic Cycling Network Richard UK 23 January 20th 06 12:40 PM
A Sustrans dilemma Mike Causer UK 98 September 10th 05 06:55 PM
Guardian article on Sustrans John Hearns UK 2 June 10th 05 01:28 PM
The early in the morning bi-cycling blues Simon Brooke UK 8 August 20th 04 11:18 PM
Sustrans Rangers. Simon Mason UK 9 October 23rd 03 11:48 PM