Cyclist riding in crosswalk

Old October 3rd 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

Default Cyclist riding in crosswalk

This question will probably evoke as much disagreement as Xtowers on
sidewalk riding. I was driving, and I came to a crosswalk which is CLEARLY
marked : "Yield to Pedestrians." A cyclist was waiting, and, clearly, he
intended to ride across. Should I have stopped for him? I did not. Had he
been pushing the bike, I would have stopped. My reasoning is, he does not
deserve better treatment just because he is doing what he ain't sposta. (I
don't blame him. He was waiting patiently for traffic to clear.)

Old October 3rd 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Leo Lichtman wrote:
This question will probably evoke as much disagreement as Xtowers on
sidewalk riding. I was driving, and I came to a crosswalk which is CLEARLY
marked : "Yield to Pedestrians." A cyclist was waiting, and, clearly, he
intended to ride across. Should I have stopped for him? I did not. Had he
been pushing the bike, I would have stopped. My reasoning is, he does not
deserve better treatment just because he is doing what he ain't sposta. (I
don't blame him. He was waiting patiently for traffic to clear.)

It depends on local rules and regulations. In Seattle (and I believe
all of Washington), cyclists are treated just like pedestrians at
crosswalks. And yes, it's perfectly legitimate to cycle across the
crosswalk (assuming you're not being a jerk and trying to plow through a
crowd of pedestrians).

--
Dane Buson -
"Sleeping alone, except under doctor's orders, does much harm. Children
Old October 3rd 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
mark

Leo Lichtman wrote:
This question will probably evoke as much disagreement as Xtowers on
sidewalk riding. I was driving, and I came to a crosswalk which is CLEARLY
marked : "Yield to Pedestrians." A cyclist was waiting, and, clearly, he
intended to ride across. Should I have stopped for him? I did not. Had he
been pushing the bike, I would have stopped. My reasoning is, he does not
deserve better treatment just because he is doing what he ain't sposta. (I
don't blame him. He was waiting patiently for traffic to clear.)

Here in Colorado it is legal to bicycle on the sidewalk (unless
prohibited by local ordinance) and to bicycle through a crosswalk. A
bicyclist on the sidewalk is considered a pedestrian with the rights and
obligations of a pedestrian. It is also legal to bicycle on a roadway
(unless prohibited by signs, as on an urban Interstate), in which case
the bicycle is a vehicle with the rights and obligations of a vehicle
operator. So in Colorado you would be breaking the law by not stopping
for the cyclist in question.

Colorado law was recently changed, sidewalk cyclists were previously
required to walk their bicycles through crosswalks. My own opinion is
that anyone who lacks the skills to ride in the roadway should get off
and walk through crosswalks.

mark
Old October 3rd 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Wayne Pein

mark wrote:

Here in Colorado it is legal to bicycle on the sidewalk (unless
prohibited by local ordinance) and to bicycle through a crosswalk. A
bicyclist on the sidewalk is considered a pedestrian with the rights and
obligations of a pedestrian.

Can you cite a statute for that?

Wayne

Old October 3rd 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jim Boyer

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
This question will probably evoke as much disagreement as Xtowers on
sidewalk riding. I was driving, and I came to a crosswalk which is
CLEARLY marked : "Yield to Pedestrians." A cyclist was waiting, and,
clearly, he intended to ride across. Should I have stopped for him? I
did not. Had he been pushing the bike, I would have stopped. My
reasoning is, he does not deserve better treatment just because he is
doing what he ain't sposta. (I don't blame him. He was waiting patiently
for traffic to clear.)

What if it was a kid on skates, or a person in a wheelchair?

jb

Old October 3rd 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
mark

Wayne Pein wrote:
mark wrote:

Here in Colorado it is legal to bicycle on the sidewalk (unless
prohibited by local ordinance) and to bicycle through a crosswalk. A
bicyclist on the sidewalk is considered a pedestrian with the rights
and obligations of a pedestrian.

Can you cite a statute for that?

Wayne

Colorado Revised Statute 42-4-1412. Paragraph (1) refers to bicycles
operated on a roadway, paragraph (10) refers to bicycles on a sidewalk.

http://198.187.128.12/colorado/lpext...ced&2.0#LPHit1

Old October 3rd 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joshua Putnam

In article ,
says...
Leo Lichtman wrote:
This question will probably evoke as much disagreement as Xtowers on
sidewalk riding. I was driving, and I came to a crosswalk which is CLEARLY
marked : "Yield to Pedestrians." A cyclist was waiting, and, clearly, he
intended to ride across. Should I have stopped for him? I did not. Had he
been pushing the bike, I would have stopped. My reasoning is, he does not
deserve better treatment just because he is doing what he ain't sposta. (I
don't blame him. He was waiting patiently for traffic to clear.)

In Washington, you could be ticketed for failing to yield. How likely
it is varies by jurisdiction -- Seattle has a habit of running
occasional crosswalk-enforcement campaigns, ticketing lots of drivers
for failing to yield at crosswalks. Other towns seem not to know they
have crosswalks on their streets.

It depends on local rules and regulations. In Seattle (and I believe
all of Washington), cyclists are treated just like pedestrians at
crosswalks. And yes, it's perfectly legitimate to cycle across the
crosswalk (assuming you're not being a jerk and trying to plow through a
crowd of pedestrians).

Correct, this is a Washington State law.

It's still illegal to enter the crosswalk if approaching traffic
(whether a motorist or a bicycle on the roadway) is too close to stop
for you, so if you're going to ride through the crosswalk you should
still be approaching at a pedestrian pace and be prepared to stop.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/
Old October 3rd 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Wayne Pein

mark wrote:

Colorado Revised Statute 42-4-1412. Paragraph (1) refers to bicycles
operated on a roadway, paragraph (10) refers to bicycles on a sidewalk.

http://198.187.128.12/colorado/lpext...ced&2.0#LPHit1

That's amazing. Really bad stuff in CO. No matter where a bicyclist
rides, road or sidewalk, the bicyclist is a second class user on that
facility.

Wayne

Old October 3rd 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Matt O'Toole

On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 15:03:02 -0500, Jim Boyer wrote:

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

This question will probably evoke as much disagreement as Xtowers on
sidewalk riding. I was driving, and I came to a crosswalk which is
CLEARLY marked : "Yield to Pedestrians." A cyclist was waiting, and,
clearly, he intended to ride across. Should I have stopped for him? I
did not. Had he been pushing the bike, I would have stopped. My
reasoning is, he does not deserve better treatment just because he is
doing what he ain't sposta. (I don't blame him. He was waiting patiently
for traffic to clear.)

What if it was a kid on skates, or a person in a wheelchair?

Exactly. Appropriate speed is the issue, not whether one is walking or
rolling. So I have no problem with it either, or sidewalk riding, as long
as the cyclist is traveling at pedestrian speed -- as with young children,
timid casual cyclists, etc.

About whether one should stop for a someone, anyone, in a crosswalk:

Positive people look for opportunities to extend courtesies, deserved or
not.

Negative people are concerned with what they should or shouldn't "hafta"
do.

Matt O.
Old October 3rd 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Jim Boyer" wrote: What if it was a kid on skates, or a person in a
wheelchair?
A person in a wheelchair is clearly to be treated as a pedestrian--I would
stop. A kid on skates--legally I would say it depends on whether skating is
allowed on that walkway. As a practical matter, I would stop, because we
make allowances for kids. And because they should be taught courtesy by
example. For the same reason, I would stop for a kid on a bike. I would
also stop for a mother pushing a stroller.