Steel frames and le Tour

Old July 10th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Bret Wade[_2_]

Default Steel frames and le Tour

Scott wrote:
On Jul 7, 12:22 pm, wrote:
Anyone know the last year a steel frame was used by a racing cyclist
in the TdF?

I wouldn't be surprised if someone was riding one in this year's
Tour.

Until I rode an S-Works Roubaix this year, I wasn't convinced that any
carbon fiber bike would/could ride as nicely as a steel Lemond Sarthe
I picked up on ebay, and I would gladly ride a hand-built custom steel
frameset (from the right builder with the right tubeset) over any
carbon fiber bike I'd ridden previously. Keep in mind, I'm not a
weight-weenie, so a pound or so more frame weight means nothing to
me. Comfort and durability, on the other hand... much more important.

You mean the yellow Tsunami with the yellow decals wasn't your favorite
bike?

Bret
Old July 10th 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 07:11:38 -0700 (PDT), Scott
wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone was riding one in this year's
Tour.

If you are talking about the Tour de France bike race, you might not
be surprised, but you're still wrong.
Old July 10th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if someone was riding one in this year's
Tour.

If you are talking about the Tour de France bike race, you might not
be surprised, but you're still wrong.

JT, how the hell do you know whether I'm wrong or not? Do you really
know what every single rider is riding on every single stage? Really,
c'mon...

Old July 10th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

On Jul 10, 8:23*am, Bret Wade wrote:
Scott wrote:
On Jul 7, 12:22 pm, wrote:
Anyone know the last year a steel frame was used by a racing cyclist
in the TdF?

I wouldn't be surprised if someone was riding one in this year's
Tour.

Until I rode an S-Works Roubaix this year, I wasn't convinced that any
carbon fiber bike would/could ride as nicely as a steel Lemond Sarthe
I picked up on ebay, and I would gladly ride a hand-built custom steel
frameset (from the right builder with the right tubeset) over any
carbon fiber bike I'd ridden previously. *Keep in mind, I'm not a
weight-weenie, so a pound or so more frame weight means nothing to
me. *Comfort and durability, on the other hand... much more important..

You mean the yellow Tsunami with the yellow decals wasn't your favorite
bike?

Bret

I never had one of those framesets... but I hear from those who did
that they were quite nice!
Old July 10th 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Davey Crockett[_5_]

John Forrest Tomlinson a écrit profondement:

| On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 07:11:38 -0700 (PDT), Scott
| wrote:
|
| I wouldn't be surprised if someone was riding one in this year's
| Tour.
|
| If you are talking about the Tour de France bike race, you might not
| be surprised, but you're still wrong.

2008 Tour Bikes

ag2r bh-g4 carbon nanotube
agritubel kuota-kom carbon nanotube
barloworld bianchi-928 carbon monobloc
bouygues time-vxrs carbon tubular
caisse pinarello-prince carbon monobloc
cofidis time-vxrs carbon tubular
crédit-ag look-595 carbon tubular
euskaltel orbea-orca carbon monobloc
f-des-jeux lapierre-x-lite carbon tube to tube
geritol specialized-tarmac carbon monobloc
high-road giant-tcr carbon monobloc
lampre willier-cento carbon monobloc
leekygas crash-n-fail carbon tubular
quick-step specialized-tarmac carbon monobloc
robberbank colnago-extreme carbon tubular
saunier-duval scott-adict carbon monobloc
silence-lotto ridley-helium carbon monobloc
slipstream felt-f1 carbon monobloc
Team-csc cervélo-soloist carbon monobloc
team-milram colnago-extreme carbon tubular

--
Davey Crockett
The Buck doesn't stop Here
Old July 10th 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Davey Crockett wrote:
2008 Tour Bikes

ag2r bh-g4 carbon nanotube
agritubel kuota-kom carbon nanotube
barloworld bianchi-928 carbon monobloc bouygues time-vxrs carbon tubular
caisse pinarello-prince carbon monobloc cofidis time-vxrs carbon tubular
crédit-ag look-595 carbon tubular
euskaltel orbea-orca carbon monobloc
f-des-jeux lapierre-x-lite carbon tube to tube geritol specialized-tarmac
carbon monobloc high-road giant-tcr carbon monobloc
lampre willier-cento carbon monobloc leekygas crash-n-fail carbon
tubular quick-step specialized-tarmac carbon monobloc robberbank
colnago-extreme carbon tubular saunier-duval scott-adict carbon
monobloc silence-lotto ridley-helium carbon monobloc slipstream felt-f1
carbon monobloc
Team-csc cervélo-soloist carbon monobloc team-milram colnago-extreme
carbon tubular

One could even ask when was the last time an aluminium frame was used.
Old July 10th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if someone was riding one in this year's
Tour.

If you are talking about the Tour de France bike race, you might not
be surprised, but you're still wrong.

JT, how the hell do you know whether I'm wrong or not? Do you really
know what every single rider is riding on every single stage? Really,
c'mon...

I've been around racing enough and seen enough pictures and bikes to
know.

Old July 10th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Bret Wade[_3_]

Scott wrote:
On Jul 7, 12:22 pm, wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I thought you did. I liked mine a lot but it wasn't much to look at.
Old July 10th 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if someone was riding one in this year's
Tour.

If you are talking about the Tour de France bike race, you might not
be surprised, but you're still wrong.

JT, how the hell do you know whether I'm wrong or not? *Do you really
know what every single rider is riding on every single stage? *Really,
c'mon...

I've been around racing enough and seen enough pictures and bikes to
know.

Really? No one is doubting that you've seen lots of bikes. I feel
pretty strongly, though, that you have NOT seen every bike ridden by
each rider in this year's TdF.

While I don't think it's necessarily happening this year, given the
long and storied history of riders having their favored frames re-
badged to look like the team's bike, it's certainly not outside the
realm of possiblity that someone is riding a steel frame.

On a slightly related note, I can tell you that there are plenty of
riders using carbon fiber bikes that were NOT made by their sponsor.
e.g. Gerolsteiner's TT bikes aren't not Specialized bikes, but the
decals sure read "Specialized".

Yeah, it's possible someone's on a steel bike. I doubt it, but I
wouldn't be surprised.

Old July 10th 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:39:03 -0700 (PDT), Scott
wrote:

Really? No one is doubting that you've seen lots of bikes. I feel
pretty strongly, though, that you have NOT seen every bike ridden by
each rider in this year's TdF.

While I don't think it's necessarily happening this year, given the
long and storied history of riders having their favored frames re-
badged to look like the team's bike, it's certainly not outside the
realm of possiblity that someone is riding a steel frame.

If you are claiming that we can only "know" something by seeing it
with our own eyes or with extremely specific witnesses, then sure, I
don't know it I don't know my car is where I parked it last night, I
don't know that the door to my apartment wasn't spraypainted by some
random vistior and I don't know if the NY Times announced bankruptcy
in the last 30 minutes.

There are still no steel frames in the Tour of France.

Steel Frames: Surly, Gunnar, Soma [email protected] General 7 February 25th 08 01:18 AM
Italian/steel frames need more prep? Phil, Squid-in-Training Techniques 84 April 13th 06 03:56 PM
BB on steel frames PJay Techniques 8 November 1st 05 04:16 AM
Steel Road frames firewolf65 General 8 April 12th 05 03:59 PM
Good Steel Frames danimal Off Road 2 May 29th 04 05:46 AM