Fancy Spoke Work on Touring Cycle

Old May 13th 10, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
CJB

Default Fancy Spoke Work on Touring Cycle

I'm used to the old style radial spokes (3-cross?) on concentional
cycle wheels. But recently at Paddington I saw a tourist with weird
spokes on her bike. These were not only interlaced but pairs were also
twisted around each other about four times thus forming a series of Y
and inverted Y shapes. This arrangement would have been a nightmare to
replace a broken spoke. So what's the advantages - if any? CJB.
Old May 14th 10, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On 13 May, 23:45, CJB wrote:
I'm used to the old style radial spokes (3-cross?) on concentional
cycle wheels. But recently at Paddington I saw a tourist with weird
spokes on her bike. These were not only interlaced but pairs were also
twisted around each other about four times thus forming a series of Y
and inverted Y shapes. This arrangement would have been a nightmare to
replace a broken spoke. So what's the advantages - if any? CJB.

Twinkle factor, gets you noticed.
Old May 14th 10, 05:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Thu, 13 May 2010 15:45:09 -0700 (PDT), CJB
wrote:

I'm used to the old style radial spokes (3-cross?) on concentional
cycle wheels. But recently at Paddington I saw a tourist with weird
spokes on her bike. These were not only interlaced but pairs were also
twisted around each other about four times thus forming a series of Y
and inverted Y shapes. This arrangement would have been a nightmare to
replace a broken spoke. So what's the advantages - if any? CJB.

I've seen that too. It looks silly.
Old May 14th 10, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Thu, 13 May 2010 15:45:09 -0700 (PDT), CJB wrote:

I'm used to the old style radial spokes (3-cross?)

You probably mean 3-cross, 'radial' means 0-cross.

cycle wheels. But recently at Paddington I saw a tourist with weird
spokes on her bike. These were not only interlaced but pairs were also
twisted around each other about four times thus forming a series of Y
and inverted Y shapes. This arrangement would have been a nightmare to
replace a broken spoke. So what's the advantages - if any? CJB.

The sole advantage is that it makes it noticeable. It seems to have
worked, since you noticed it. It's called 'snowflake'.
http://www.lfgss.com/thread8347.html

Other abominations you can try are 'crows foot' and '3 leading
3 trailing'. You can also do different flanges to different patterns
if you like.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old May 14th 10, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

CJB wrote:
So what's the advantages - if any? CJB.

Bling!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old May 14th 10, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
CJB

On May 14, 9:54*am, Peter Clinch wrote:
CJB wrote:
*So what's the advantages - if any? CJB.

Bling!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch * * * * * * * * * *Medical Physics IT Officer
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 * Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 * * * * * * *Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net * *http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Thanks for the info. I was a bit into culture shock when I saw this
recently.

Found this link too:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Twis...---flowers%21/

Ooer - in my day we didn't do 'bling' on bikes!! Well not so OTT
anyway.

BUT I wonder how 'safe' the lacings actually are. I mean like
freewheeling down from Ditchling Beacon at the end of the L2B ride. Or
making sharp corner turns to avoid errant black cabs in London. Or
bouncing over the ever increasing potholes in our third-world roads.
Or during a bit of 'rough stuff' across the moors. Hmm - I think I'll
stay old-fashioned and hopefully safe!!

Chris B.
Old May 14th 10, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On 14 May, 10:52, CJB wrote:

Ooer - in my day we didn't do 'bling' on bikes!! Well not so OTT
anyway.

BUT I wonder how 'safe' the lacings actually are.

It would necessitate a modification to the rim's nipple seats in my
eyes.

I mean like
freewheeling down from Ditchling Beacon at the end of the L2B ride. Or
making sharp corner turns to avoid errant black cabs in London. Or
bouncing over the ever increasing potholes in our third-world roads.
Or during a bit of 'rough stuff' across the moors. Hmm - I think I'll
stay old-fashioned and hopefully safe!!

Tried and trusted.

spoke tension expedition touring robert norton General 3 March 29th 10 10:51 AM
Spoke choice for touring wheels James Fitch Techniques 17 February 14th 07 03:58 AM
How far do folk cycle to work MIB UK 23 September 1st 05 11:28 PM
FA: 80's Shogun Steel Touring bicycle w/ nice lug work JavaWired Marketplace 0 October 28th 04 05:45 PM
I *was* going to cycle to work... Andy UK 15 October 3rd 04 04:02 PM