Top ten most bikable cities in the US according to....

Old May 19th 12, 11:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
damyth

Default Top ten most bikable cities in the US according to....

NPR had a segment on the nation's most bikeable cities on Bike-To-Work
Day (Friday).

Some discussion on the methodology might be warranted:
http://www.walkscore.com/bike-score-methodology.shtml
Old May 19th 12, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On May 19, 3:18 am, damyth wrote:
NPR had a segment on the nation's most bikeable cities on Bike-To-Work
Day (Friday).

Some discussion on the methodology might be warranted:http://www.walkscore.com/bike-score-methodology.shtml

At very first glance, re; "hilliness": I don't like too much flat.
Hills keep me in shape, get me out of the saddle to vary my riding
position, make the world more interesting in general, and give me
those "wheeee!" moments on the descent.

(I am wondering if the two college towns - one I grew up in - here in
my state are on the list. I read somewhere that they have like 8 or
9% mode share, and one of them was #1 in the US for bike commute
rate... ah, never mind - scrolling down there's one of them on the
list - the other is under 200,000 population was wasn't considered.)
Old May 19th 12, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

nothing like a few low hills !
Old May 19th 12, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

throw out too cold, too hot, can't breath the air (watch for NOAA Weather Service winter reports), no employment and Chicago goes to 1.

But Chicago is too windy ?

NYC's weather is best but generalizations abt bike routing impossible.

City planners need accurtae rating systems, cyclists need to ove to a s

mall town with education, light industry.

and a few low hills, 3 or 4 at 40-50 feet over 10 miles.

breathing is essential. I checked Portland, Seattle, Yakima et al even San Juan Island, this winter. NOAA'S advice is carry SCUBA tanks. Between wood smoke and BIG AG chemicals... go upwind on the bus.

Cycling Friendly Cities Roger Zoul General 4 June 20th 07 09:41 PM
Quad Cities JuggleFest Nov. 4-6 skate4flip Unicycling 0 October 22nd 05 03:50 PM
The 20 Happiest Cities Wasatch5k Techniques 17 May 7th 05 12:26 AM
Best Cities to Ride JoeD General 61 March 21st 05 12:11 AM
Best Cities to Ride JoeD Social Issues 58 March 21st 05 12:11 AM