cycling into/out of Heathrow

Old August 9th 15, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
CJB

Default cycling into/out of Heathrow

On Friday, 5 May 2000 08:00:00 UTC+1, Richard Griffin wrote:
There was a little discussion on how to get to/from Heathrow with a
bicycle, a couple of weeks ago on uk.rec.cycling, but I don't recall
seeing a definitive answer. Apologies in advance if there was in fact
one; anyway, here's mine, on the basis of my visit by tube with my
Brompton folding bike...

Access to Terminal 4 is not a particular problem, fairly ordinary roads
will get you away from the airport area. (Hatton Cross tube station is
nearby, but this is still under the ground and so is Hounslow West.) The
problems arise with access to/from the (formerly "Heathrow Central" on
the Tube!) Terminals 1, 2, 3 area. This central terminals area is
situated between the two parallel (east-west) runways, and is very
cramped; it consists of a gyratory system around the Central Bus Station,
with terminals 1, 2 and 3 arranged in a clockwise fashion around it. The
only public road access to the central terminals area is via a quartet of
parallel tunnels roughly 1km long, running due north-south beneath the
northern runway (27R-09L FWIW!).

In each direction there is one large 2-lane tunnel which accepts lorries
and coaches as well as cars, and a much smaller tunnel above and to its
left taking only bicycles and small cars. It is clearly posted that
bicycles have priority, and bicycle users are encoraged (by centre-parted
speed humps) to ride down the middle of the narrow single carriageway; in
both directions the well-lit tunnels feel as if they descend slightly for
at any rate most of their length. On one of the four journeys I made
through the tunnels (on the Brompy, remember, which isn't particularly
fast) I had caught up with the cars in front and not the other way round.

Note that pedestrians are banned from using these tunnels (which do,
however, have an emergency side walkway which is fenced off). A
"frequent free bus service" number H30, operated by Airlinks for London
Transport Buses, runs from the central area, round the north and western
perimeter roads, calling at the Cargo Area and Terminal 4 before reaching
Hatton Cross; it returns by the same route. Looking at the times, it
looks as if the H30 takes about half an hour each way, and runs with a
maximum frequency of 15 minutes, and a minimum frequency of 30 minutes,
from 0500 to 2400 every day (Christmas period service varies). I do not
know whether the H30 would accept bicycles, though I rather doubt it TBH.

--
Richard.
http://www.geocities.com/rgriffin231/welcome.html

Am reviving this thread in August 2015 because Heathrow Airport has effectively banned all non-folding cyclists from the Central Area - for Terminals 2 (Queen's) and 3.

God help anyone flying in with one.

It is now not possible to use any of the tunnels at the north side - they're well closed for rebuilding.

The ONLY alternatives are the unreliable (aka frequently cancelled) Heathrow Connect from Hayes & Harlington or the grossly over-priced Heathrow Express from Paddington.

There are no bus alternatives.

CJB
Old August 9th 15, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 09/08/2015 22:21, CJB wrote:
[...]

Taxi?

Or, if you must take a bike (why?), a man with a van?
Old August 10th 15, 12:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lang

On 09/08/2015 22:21, CJB wrote:
On Friday, 5 May 2000 08:00:00 UTC+1, Richard Griffin wrote:
There was a little discussion on how to get to/from Heathrow with a
bicycle, a couple of weeks ago on uk.rec.cycling, but I don't recall
seeing a definitive answer. Apologies in advance if there was in fact
one; anyway, here's mine, on the basis of my visit by tube with my
Brompton folding bike...

Don't be such an utter tw*t. A push bike isn't a viable form of
transport for any journey, let alone one to Heathrow.

Use a proper form of transport instead of a child's toy.

Old August 10th 15, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Sunday, 9 August 2015 22:21:40 UTC+1, CJB wrote:
[...]

Come to Hull and use a civilised form of transport - 100's of bikes welcome.

http://cdn2.shipspotting.com/photos/.../8/1294831.jpg

Old August 10th 15, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 00:47:22 +0100, David Lang wrote:

tw*t. A push bike isn't a viable form of
transport for any journey,

Yes it is.
And I just love the compliments flowing from you.
Now please ejaculate to me the further honour from you of being
barratrous, contemptible, criminal, and fascistic.

Cycling to Heathrow T5 icogs UK 12 April 30th 08 01:34 PM
Heathrow security Jack Russell UK 0 August 21st 06 06:42 AM
Heathrow posters .. elyob UK 12 August 5th 05 03:01 PM
Cycling to Heathrow/Thanks for the advice mark UK 2 May 28th 04 07:11 PM
Heathrow to Gatwick - help? pedalhome UK 7 December 5th 03 12:55 PM