Latest trove of road-found items. - pH

Old August 5th 19, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
pH

Default Latest trove of road-found items. - pH

Well today I was headed back down a road that has a stretch of "no man's land" in that there is no possible area for a car to pull over and stop and really not for a bicycle, either.

Well, right along this stretch, right there by the guard rail was a new pair of Fiskars brand loppers.
The handles are 28" long...I had a heck of a time affixing them to my rack so they would not migrate anywhere while on my way home.

When I got home I decided I'd empty my handlebar bag of my accumulated road booty, so including the loppers:

o New Fiskers loppers 1-1/2 inch capacity on label 28" long handles

o pliers, same day as loppers -- no name but labeled "forged - usa" (guess
a counterfeiter made 'em while writing bad checks. silver, plain, slip-joint

o no-name hole-in-car-tire rasping tool for prepping to install plug on a flat
tire--has handy small flat screwdriver tip, too

o 13/32" 1/4" drive socket, that's an unusual size, (about `10mm, metric)

o 3/8" socket on hexagonal shank for using in a drill (must have a real name,
but I don't know it)

So that's the extent of the pile. What have you guys found lately?

pH in Aptos
Old August 5th 19, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 14:07:17 -0700 (PDT), pH wrote:

[...]

I found a 5 baht coin the other day - about US$0.06 :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old August 6th 19, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
pH

On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 3:16:27 PM UTC-7, John B. Slocomb wrote:
[...]

Can one actually purchase anything w/ a 5 baht coin?
Back when I was a kid (dirt had just been invented) I could get a tootsie roll (the
big kind) for a nickel.
pH
Old August 6th 19, 09:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 20:27:35 -0700 (PDT), pH wrote:

[...]

I had to ask my wife. She thought for about 10 minutes and said that
she couldn't think of anything that one could buy for 5 baht :-)
The Local departments shops calculate the sales tax into the sales
price of groceries and you do need, even 1 baht coins for them :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old August 6th 19, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/5/2019 5:07 PM, pH wrote:
[...]

Wow, come to think of it, it's been a very bad year for road finds. I
can't remember a single tool found on the road this year, and that's
unusual.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 8th 19, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 14:07:17 -0700 (PDT), pH wrote:

What have you guys found lately?

Not much.

When we lived in upstate New York, I found interesting things all the
time. Once I stopped to pick up an open pocket knife just because it
might puncture somebody's tire, and lo, despite having been run over
it was in perfect condition and I took it home and used it. I thought
it odd that I found a few teaspoons, and once I found a table knife,
but I never found a fork.

Aside from a few coins -- I once saw a dime and *didn't" pick it up;
it had been embedded in the asphalt -- I don't recall picking
something up other than to get it off the road. My range is much
shorter than it used to be, but I think I find fewer things because I
now live in town and ride to the country, rather than the other way
around. When I ride to Leesburg, I never honestly get out of town,
save for a train-length of Old 15.

I picked one item up out of sheer puzzlement. It looks like a buckle,
but the blob in the middle of the bar would prevent it from being used
as a buckle. The edges are rounded on top and square below, like a
knock-out, but I'm sure it was never knocked out of a hole (if you
don't count the hole left when it was die cut). So I brought it home,
but my spouse didn't recognize it either. I stuck it onto one of the
magnets on the fridge and forgot about it until today:

http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/LOC/PUZZLE.JPG

Warning: I didn't bother to scale the image; it takes a while to
download.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGESEW/
Old August 10th 19, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 14:07:17 -0700 (PDT), pH wrote:

What have you guys found lately?

On my way out of town yesterday morning I saw a usable-looking nut
and, a few feet farther on, a flat washer. On my way home in the
afternoon, I saw a bolt that looked as though it would fit the nut and
washer.

I didn't pick any of them up.

While checking my wallet to get ready for the farmers' markets this
morning, I noticed a curtain hook stuck into the change-catcher beside
the safety pins. I remember sticking it there, but not when or where
I picked it up.

It fits the curtain I was standing beside. I'll check for missing
hooks before I get down the curtain-hardware ammo box.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Cycling treasure trove Squashme UK 1 July 15th 11 09:48 PM
FA: Road/MTB/Tri items Darrell Marketplace 0 October 29th 06 06:07 AM
Latest Developments in Road Rash Ron Hardin General 0 February 15th 05 06:29 AM
FA: Last Day for many Road and ATB items. Please check the list! Jordan Hukee Marketplace 0 January 8th 05 08:20 PM
FS: Many Items, Road and ATB Jordan Hukee Marketplace 0 December 19th 04 04:52 PM