it's all your fault!

Old April 20th 04, 11:40 AM
David Martin

Default it's all your fault!

On 20/4/04 11:29 am, in article ,
"audrey" wrote:

you u.r.c lot, yous are all to blame. Several months of lurking here
have had a worrying impact on my behaviour. My symptoms include:

- not always riding within cycle lanes, expecting to be treated as a
vehicle rather than an obstacle, and other such unreasonable behaviour

Cool.. Welcome to the world of the traffic herder.. One of those who can
corral and control the tin canned sheeple..

- thinking about maybe one day possibly perhaps getting some more
cycling-appropriate clothing

Go on.. It makes a big difference.

- writing to the council about cycle parking (lack of)
- contacting my MP about the helmet bill

Thems as don't ask, don't get.

- having vague far-fetched day dreams about one day going on cycle
touring holidays (may take some years to acheive the necessary state
of fitness and the necessary ££ for decent bikes instead of our
current cheapo hybrids and for son-and-heir to learn to ride without
stabilisers, but a girl can dream ... )

Credit card touring. You could start off with as little as going to one end
of a trail and riding a few miles to a B&B, or on to the next village for
the night etc. Very easy to do bit by bit. Sprogs love going in child seats/
on trailer bikes.

I have gone from being a normal bike-gathering-dust-in-the-hall kind
of person, to the kind of person who might one day be known as a
cyclist. As of now, I am at the interim fat-girl-on-bike stage. Most
of my bike riding is short local trips but as the weather gets better
longer family bike rides will start happening.

Excellent.. It is about discovering a lifestyle that you know makes sense,
gives you a sense of achievement, puts money back into your pocket, and gets
you fitter.

...d

Old April 20th 04, 11:41 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

I have gone from being a normal bike-gathering-dust-in-the-hall kind
of person, to the kind of person who might one day be known as a
cyclist. As of now, I am at the interim fat-girl-on-bike stage. Most
of my bike riding is short local trips but as the weather gets better
longer family bike rides will start happening.

Hello. Glad you de-lurked. I have to tell you, Audrey (sit down, please, you're
in for a shock), you already are the kind of person known as a cyclist. There
now, repeat after me "My name is Audrey and I am a cyclist." That wasn't too
bad, was it ;-) I am fatbirdonabike and this summer am planning my first
*proper* cycle tour holiday, where the bike is the main means of transport. I'm
looking forward to it and nervous at the same time. If I can do it, just about
anyone can!

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old April 20th 04, 12:07 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

audrey wrote:

So, this is by way of my de-lurk post. Hello.

Wilkommen, Bienvenue, Welcome :-)

--
Guy
===

Old April 20th 04, 12:18 PM
Michael MacClancy

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:07:44 +0100, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Wilkommen, Bienvenue, Welcome

In Guy's last incarnation he was a singer in a Berlin nightclub.
--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't

Old April 20th 04, 12:29 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

In Guy's last incarnation he was a singer in a Berlin nightclub.

That'll be when he's "Helen" at weekends ;-)

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old April 20th 04, 12:37 PM
Keith Willoughby

audrey wrote:

you u.r.c lot, yous are all to blame. Several months of lurking here
have had a worrying impact on my behaviour. My symptoms include:

- not always riding within cycle lanes, expecting to be treated as a
vehicle rather than an obstacle, and other such unreasonable behaviour

Me too!

- signing up for bike maintenance classes

My copy of Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance came today.

- thinking about maybe one day possibly perhaps getting some more
cycling-appropriate clothing

Cycling jersey, coolmax t-shirt, two pairs of coolmax socks (all Lidl),
one pair of lycra shorts (Tchibo) and a pair of Shimano shoes (Reg
Braddick Cycles). Check.

- writing to the council about cycle parking (lack of)

Good idea. I can't think of a single place in Ponty I could park a
cycle.

- contacting my MP about the helmet bill

Shame on me. I still haven't written mine. I might try faxyourmp.com
instead.

- having a conversation with my otherhalf to see if we could do
without a car (we can't for now, but in the future ... ?)

I don't have a car. Never even had a lesson.

(I cycled down to my friend's house in Cardiff Bay yesterday. Took me
1hr 25m to do the 14 miles, which isn't great, but it was 15m quicker
than my personal best, and it's *still* quicker than getting two busses
and a train)

- having vague far-fetched day dreams about one day going on cycle
touring holidays (may take some years to acheive the necessary state
of fitness and the necessary ££ for decent bikes instead of our
current cheapo hybrids and for son-and-heir to learn to ride without
stabilisers, but a girl can dream ... )

I bought a Lidl-special tent a couple of weeks ago. I doubt it'll stand
up to much, but if it keeps me dry for a night in the Brecon Beacons,
I'm going to be doing some mini-tours this summer.

- becoming aware of the mysterious worlds of bibs and bents (tho I
could probably have done without the bibs, particularly some of the
pictures)

shudder

I have gone from being a normal bike-gathering-dust-in-the-hall kind
of person, to the kind of person who might one day be known as a
cyclist.

Cycling to Cardiff yesterday, I was going down the long hill to Taff's
Well. I decided I felt like a cyclist when I realised I was pedalling
downhill instead of freewheeling.

As of now, I am at the interim fat-girl-on-bike stage.

Differing chromosomes, but me too. The larval stage cyclist.

Most of my bike riding is short local trips but as the weather gets
better longer family bike rides will start happening.

So, this is by way of my de-lurk post. Hello.

Hiya!

"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the
president or any other public official."
- Theodore Roosevelt