It's your fault

Old November 14th 04, 04:34 PM
Maggie

Default It's your fault

It's all this newsgroups fault that I am trying to deal with my age,
ride my bike, and stop whining. Thanks guys. What a group. I am also
trying that cross country ski thing when I am in Lake Tahoe next week.
I made up my mind and confirmed the plans. Well first I will spend
some time at Harrahs, but I will do the ski thing. ;-) (I can't give
up all my old ways and become athletic overnight) It took 50 years to
become this sissy, prissy. I worked hard at it. ;-) My plane leaves
Thursday morning. I have no idea what I will do without my daily fix
of rec.bicycles.misc while I am out in Nevada. I am at a crossroad. I
can go for the exercise and health or I can make a reservation at my
favorite restaurant and order a wonderfully unhealthy meal. Life is a
series of choices. Boy, have I made some really BAD ones....but along
the way there were some great choices too. Like having my kids. Happy
Sunday Riding. I am hauling ass out the door now to bike. Maybe I
will be able to ride just a little further today.
All the best from your friend, the sissy prissy lady from surburbia.

http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html

http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/
Old November 14th 04, 05:49 PM
Bill Baka

On 14 Nov 2004 07:34:12 -0800, Maggie wrote:

[...]

About those bad choices I can agree. I could have bought a house
in Campbell (part of Silicon valley) for $30,000 in 1973 but
passed because I thought it was too much at the time. Instead
I moved to the country. That house is now approaching the
million dollar mark. Now I have lots of places to ride but
no house equity (value) in the sticks. Money or fitness?
Fitness wins. Everybody I know that lives in their million
dollar houses are stressed out, overweight, etc. I don't
know if money wins or living better with less capital.
I'll take the latter since I don't want to be one of those
who wins by dying with the most money.
Bill Baka

--
Just Bill again
Old November 14th 04, 07:24 PM
tspoon

Money or fitness?

my mind has been rambling down a similar track lately. I wonder just
how little I could get away with having if I tried. In my job I'm on OK
money (NZ adjusted), but am starting to wonder what the point is. My
hazy long term goal is too dispense with my automobile completely and
also all the other pointless crap you never really need. also to work at
becoming semi sufficient in my energy needs in all areas. and to think i
used to scorn people like myself. the main philosophical hurdle needing
clearing is - is it wasteful or just plain wrong to buy stuff you don't
really need for your bike?
Old November 14th 04, 08:06 PM
Bill Baka

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 07:24:01 +1300, tspoon wrote:

Money or fitness?

my mind has been rambling down a similar track lately. I wonder just
how little I could get away with having if I tried. In my job I'm on OK
money (NZ adjusted), but am starting to wonder what the point is. My
hazy long term goal is too dispense with my automobile completely and
also all the other pointless crap you never really need. also to work at
becoming semi sufficient in my energy needs in all areas. and to think i
used to scorn people like myself. the main philosophical hurdle needing
clearing is - is it wasteful or just plain wrong to buy stuff you don't
really need for your bike?

Money spent on your bike is well spent compared to buying things for a car.
You do run out of things after a while. You won't get comments on the bike
just "Wow, what does all that stuff do?".

--
Just Bill again
Old November 15th 04, 12:20 AM
Hunrobe

Although your post was not directed at me someone has to say it.
You are welcome.
:-)

Regards,
Bob Hunt
Old November 15th 04, 01:43 AM
Beaker

On 14 Nov 2004 07:34:12 -0800, Maggie quoth:
It's all this newsgroups fault that I am trying to deal with my age,
ride my bike, and stop whining. Thanks guys. What a group. I am also
trying that cross country ski thing when I am in Lake Tahoe next week.

My belated recommendation would be to try snowshoeing instead.
After snowshoeing for the first time last winter I doubt I'll
ever ski again - loved every second of it.

bkr

Old November 15th 04, 03:55 AM
Bikesoiler

Beaker Wrote:
On 14 Nov 2004 07:34:12 -0800, Maggie quoth:
snip I am also trying that cross country ski thing when I am in Lake
Tahoe next week.

My belated recommendation would be to try snowshoeing instead.
After snowshoeing for the first time last winter I doubt I'll
ever ski again - loved every second of it.

bkr

Beaker
I would not swap skis for snowshoes unless in really tight trees.
Aren't snowshoes slow? I'd rather stride & glide (then carve tele turns
downhill ) than plod on shoes. Although I do live in a different
hemishere to you.

--
Bikesoiler

Old November 15th 04, 08:46 AM
Cheto

"Beaker" wrote in message

My belated recommendation would be to try snowshoeing instead.
After snowshoeing for the first time last winter I doubt I'll
ever ski again - loved every second of it.

You bring 'em both. You snowshoe UP and ski DOWN.

Cheto

Old November 15th 04, 10:28 AM
Beaker

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:55:31 +1100, Bikesoiler quoth:

Beaker
I would not swap skis for snowshoes unless in really tight trees.
Aren't snowshoes slow? I'd rather stride & glide (then carve tele turns
downhill ) than plod on shoes.

Snowshoeing is basically hiking in the snow, so the point is the same - to
get outdoors in the wonderful cool winter weather, go places and see things.
(and get some super exersize) There's a bit of a glide to it if the powder
is deep enough - kind of like floating. You can go a lot more places more
easily on the shoes than you can on skis, and the snow conditions and terrain
don't effect snowshoes nearly as much. Since you're presumably out to see and
enjoy nature there's no reason to go any particular speed, but being able to
go any direction is important. I was really surprised how easy the shoes were
even in deep powder and thick undergrowth. (watch out for those spruce traps!)
I guess my point is that shoes are a lot more versatile and less fussy, and
they're certainly easier for a beginner. I prefer the plastic MSR snowshoes,
myself.

If zooming downhill is particularly important to you then I guess you want
skis. We used to xc ski in Minnesota where it's relatively flat, and you can
go for miles through the burbs from lake to lake. I had a couple pairs of
waxless Karhu xc skis back when the bindings had the 3-pin toe. I left them
behind when I found out the bindings had changed so I couldn't get new shoes.
I see Karhu has some "sweeper" skis now that are about halfway between xc skis
and snowshoes, which might be interesting in combination with snowshoes for
backcountry wandering. One nice thing about both xc skiing and snowshoeing
is that they're both cheap, and you can do them right out of your own backyard.
Downhill skiing became way too expensive, crowded and constrained for me -
had my fill of that already.

bkr