"Cycling is not dangerous. Cars are dangerous."

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 12th 09, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

Default "Cycling is not dangerous. Cars are dangerous."

Doug wrote:
On 11 Sep, 19:55, "Brimstone" wrote:
mileburner wrote:

I was almost wiped out by a van a few weeks back. The driver pulled
out from a farmyard on the left. He was looking toward me but he did
not really see me; he was looking at the tractor behind me and
realised that he could pull out without needing to give way to the
tractor. The things which saved me were 1) I was passing wide
(centre of lane) and I saw him moving out and 2) there was nothing
coming ahead so I could pull across even further.
You can't trust drivers :-(

Nor anyone else with your own safety. Sadly, some people try to and
then cry about it when they come unstuck.

So we should go around daily in the expectation of being killed by
drivers in what purports to be a civilised country?

Question. Suppose I am walking along a pavement and a driver loses
control and mounts the pavement where I am. What action should I take
to avoid this and protect myself?

I would suggest that you keep an eye on the traffic and be prepared to get
out of it's way if it is coming at you and looking like it is not going to
stop. The roads are dangerous donchaknow?