Knocked off today.

Old September 19th 09, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Default Knocked off today.

Victor Meldrew wrote:
On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 17:46:41 +0100, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

Well, I've had a good run. On the way to work today I was knocked off by a
car driver who decided he didn't want to wait for the car in front to turn
right, so he passed by on its left taking me with him. Some very kind people
rang for an ambulance and I was carted off to A+E. I was given a stern
lecture about my lack of helmet by the fracture guy who recorded the fact on
my diagnosis sheet.

After the X Ray, I was told I had a broken collar bone, so presumably a
helmet would have prevented this ;-/

Good job it's the end of the season!

Sounds like the usual lying cyclist ******** to me.

No it's true, it is the end of the season, only hillclimbs, cyclecross
and socials for the next few months
Old September 19th 09, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 20:02:46 +0100, Tim Hall
wrote:

As someone else wrote elsewhere, you can'tget a 50p sized hole in
apair of Assos, the smallest is a fiver at least.

Like it :-)
Old September 19th 09, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On 19 Sep 2009, Ian Jackson wrote:

There's a scheme for compensating victims of uninsured drivers, and
another for victims of hit-and-runs.

But unless you're really seriously injured, and/or really skint, it's
not worth the aggro. For my carted-in-ambulance, permanent scarring
but not any permanent loss of function resulting from an uninsured
hit-and-run, the payment scale was such that I decided it wasn't worth
the time and stress it would take to get the medical examinations and
fill the forms. I don't remember what it was, but I think it was
about a tenth of what I'd probably have got from an insurance company
had there been one.

Plus, I was very nervous of the terms the lawyer types (CTCs ones)
wanted me to agree to - if I started the claim, I could not withdraw
it without paying all their costs out of my own pocket. They could
require me to attend any number of examinations at any location
(expenses paid, but not my time paid, so far as I could see). I'd
rather be forgetting about it than travelling for medical assessments
and sitting around in waiting rooms.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old September 19th 09, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James[_5_]

On Sep 20, 1:46*am, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

After the X Ray, I was told I had a broken collar bone, so presumably a
helmet would have prevented this ;-/

Sorry to hear it.

As others have said, please sue the driver till the pips squeak. It's
not really justice, but it's the closest approximation available to
you. We had our mortgage paid off by someone who crashed into us, it
sounds like your accident was almost as bad but we were in the USA so
don't get too excited! (And it was a v small mortgage but a lot bigger
than the values mentioned in this thread.) Jules' collar bone was
broken and took about 6 weeks to heal and many more months to be
reasonably pain free but she was on the back on the tandem in week or
two...maybe a recumbent would allow you to keep pedalling in the
meantime.

James
Old September 20th 09, 06:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_2_]

"Simon Mason" wrote in
. uk:

Well, I've had a good run. On the way to work today I was knocked off
by a car driver who decided he didn't want to wait for the car in
front to turn right, so he passed by on its left taking me with him.
Some very kind people rang for an ambulance and I was carted off to
A+E. I was given a stern lecture about my lack of helmet by the
fracture guy who recorded the fact on my diagnosis sheet.

After the X Ray, I was told I had a broken collar bone, so presumably
a helmet would have prevented this ;-/

Good job it's the end of the season!

Sorry to hear that you were injured Simon and I hope you recover soon.
Were you trying to pass the car on the left of it or were you in front of
the car?

You were lucky to avoid a head injury however. Be thankful it was only
your collar bone.
Old September 20th 09, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

wrote:

Well, I've had a good run. On the way to work today I was knocked
off by a car driver who decided he didn't want to wait for the car
in front to turn right, so he passed by on its left taking me with
him. Some very kind people rang for an ambulance and I was carted
off to A+E. I was given a stern lecture about my lack of helmet by
the fracture guy who recorded the fact on my diagnosis sheet.

After the X Ray, I was told I had a broken collar bone, so
presumably a helmet would have prevented this ;-/

Good job it's the end of the season!

Sounds like the usual lying cyclist ******** to me.

No it's true, it is the end of the season, only hillclimbs, cyclecross
and socials for the next few months

Since when has there been a "season" for cycling?

Old September 20th 09, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Grange

wrote:

Well, I've had a good run. On the way to work today I was knocked off by a
car driver who decided he didn't want to wait for the car in front to turn
right, so he passed by on its left taking me with him. Some very kind people
rang for an ambulance and I was carted off to A+E. I was given a stern
lecture about my lack of helmet by the fracture guy who recorded the fact on
my diagnosis sheet.

After the X Ray, I was told I had a broken collar bone, so presumably a
helmet would have prevented this ;-/

Good job it's the end of the season!

Sorry to hear about your injury Simon, all the best for a quick
recovery.

--

Pete
Old September 20th 09, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BrianW[_2_]

wrote:

Well, I've had a good run. On the way to work today I was knocked
off by a car driver who decided he didn't want to wait for the car
in front to turn right, so he passed by on its left taking me with
him. Some very kind people rang for an ambulance and I was carted
off to A+E. I was given a stern lecture about my lack of helmet by
the fracture guy who recorded the fact on my diagnosis sheet.

After the X Ray, I was told I had a broken collar bone, so
presumably a helmet would have prevented this ;-/

Good job it's the end of the season!

Sounds like the usual lying cyclist ******** to me.

No it's true, it is the end of the season, only hillclimbs, cyclecross
and socials for the next few months

Since when has there been a "season" for cyclin

I think time trials and races tend to be in the spring and summer,
although I could be wrong.
Old September 20th 09, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

wrote:

Well, I've had a good run. On the way to work today I was knocked
off by a car driver who decided he didn't want to wait for the car
in front to turn right, so he passed by on its left taking me with
him. Some very kind people rang for an ambulance and I was carted
off to A+E. I was given a stern lecture about my lack of helmet by
the fracture guy who recorded the fact on my diagnosis sheet.

After the X Ray, I was told I had a broken collar bone, so
presumably a helmet would have prevented this ;-/

Good job it's the end of the season!

Sounds like the usual lying cyclist ******** to me.

No it's true, it is the end of the season, only hillclimbs,
cyclecross and socials for the next few months

Since when has there been a "season" for cyclin

I think time trials and races tend to be in the spring and summer,
although I could be wrong.

Ah, if it's competitive cycling then I can understand.

Old September 20th 09, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Carey[_2_]

wrote:

Well, I've had a good run. On the way to work today I was knocked off by a
car driver who decided he didn't want to wait for the car in front to turn
right, so he passed by on its left taking me with him. Some very kind
people
rang for an ambulance and I was carted off to A+E. I was given a stern
lecture about my lack of helmet by the fracture guy who recorded the fact
on
my diagnosis sheet.

After the X Ray, I was told I had a broken collar bone, so presumably a
helmet would have prevented this ;-/

Good job it's the end of the season!

Sorry to hear about your injury Simon, all the best for a quick
recovery.

--

Pete

Same from here, get well soon Simon, hope you're back to yourself and the
experience doesn't change you

Knocked off bike Steve Walford UK 8 October 27th 08 07:18 PM
Just been knocked off my bike!! [email protected] UK 18 March 22nd 08 10:37 PM
What to do when you are knocked off by another cyclist? David Green UK 12 May 29th 05 12:03 PM
Nearly knocked off by the plod. Simon Mason UK 6 September 25th 03 11:24 PM
Knocked off by a badger Gary Knighton UK 4 July 24th 03 12:43 AM