Saraccen bikes

Old October 27th 10, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rick[_13_]

Default Saraccen bikes

Anyone experience of them?

I am not technical - but a friend wants to sell me one for ninety
pounds.

Any views?

Old October 27th 10, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:57:53 +0100
Rick wrote:

Anyone experience of them?

I am not technical - but a friend wants to sell me one for ninety
pounds.

Any views?

I like the yellow ones.

Old October 27th 10, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

Rick wrote:

Anyone experience of them?

I am not technical - but a friend wants to sell me one for ninety
pounds.

Any views?

I like the yellow ones.

Isn't discussing bicycle hardware off-topic for this group?

Old October 27th 10, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Rick wrote:
Anyone experience of them?

I am not technical - but a friend wants to sell me one for ninety
pounds.

Any views?

if in good condition then 90 is about the most one of their cheap models
would be worth, some though are worth quite a bit, see the list he
http://www.bikes2udirect.com/brand/S...html?mv_pc=gb9

If it is one of the very expensive ones then be very suspicious.

Old October 27th 10, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 19:51:31 +0100
"mileburner" wrote:

Isn't discussing bicycle hardware off-topic for this group?

I don't have much idea what happens here these days - I think fewer than
10% of posts get past my killfile.

Old October 27th 10, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_3_]

"mileburner" wrote:

Isn't discussing bicycle hardware off-topic for this group?

I don't have much idea what happens here these days - I think fewer than
10% of posts get past my killfile.

Yep, I reckon 5-10%. Back on topic, I've always liked the look of
Saracens but never ridden or owned one.

Old October 28th 10, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"mileburner" wrote:

Isn't discussing bicycle hardware off-topic for this group?

I don't have much idea what happens here these days - I think fewer
than 10% of posts get past my killfile.

Yep, I reckon 5-10%. Back on topic, I've always liked the look of
Saracens but never ridden or owned one.

I had a cheapish low end road race one. Alu frame and forks and the spec was
fairly good for the price. I think I paid about £200 for it "hardly used"
from ebay.

After Saracen folded, there were a lot of frames sold off cheaply. I figured
that this one was one of those and it was put together from bits and pieces.
It was a nice bike though. I sold it a year later for £160.

Old October 30th 10, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 23:04:21 +0100
Tosspot wrote:

Back on topic, I've always liked the look of
Saracens but never ridden or owned one.

We used to sell a few - soundly built and nicely finished, with a few
interesting touches (like the yellow ones I liked, that had all black
hardware and U-brakes at both ends).
I'm not sure that the more recent Saracens are much like the older ones
though - didn't the company run into trouble/change hands and start
selling lower quality stuff?