A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Scots hit and run pensioner left cyclist dying at side of road as hetried to cover up fatal crash

Old April 20th 21, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Scots hit and run pensioner left cyclist dying at side of road as hetried to cover up fatal crash

A hit and run driver left a cyclist dying at the side of the road before trying to cover-up the fatal crash by having his damaged car repaired.

Ian McFarlane, 76, was aware he had knocked Scott Walker off his bike and caused catastrophic head injuries which killed him a short time later.

The pensioner tried to hide what he had done by taking his car to two garages to have the missing wing (sic) mirror replaced and to change the bumper which showed impact marks.

Dundee Sheriff Court was told that McFarlane spent more than a week covering up the fatal crash before he was eventually tracked down by police.

Sheriff Gregor Murray warned McFarlane - who was driving an uninsured car - that there was a "distinct possibility" he would be sent to prison.

Sheriff Murray said: "You have pled guilty to very serious charges. You have never been sentenced to a period of prison. That is a distinct possibility in this case. I make that clear to you now."

McFarlane, of Dundee, admitted striking and critically injuring cyclist Mr Walker, 43, before driving off from the scene on the A917 Elie to St Monans Road in Fife on 8 July 2019.

He admitted trying to pervert the course of justice between 8 and 17 July 2019 by failing to report the fatal crash when he was fully aware of what he had done.

He admitted instructing repair work to conceal the damage caused by ordering replacement parts and having repair work carried out at Arnotts and Arnold Clark garages in Dundee. He admitted not having insurance for his Vauxhall Astra.

Fiscal depute Lora Apostolova told the court that the incident happened when Mr Walker was cycling home to St Monans from a friend's house in Elie at around 7.30 pm

"Witnesses travelling on the A917 could see a male cyclist without a helmet approaching the area. They heard a noise consistent with a collision.

"They saw a male lying on the ground and went over. The bike was lying next to him. They could clearly see he had a significant head injury."

One of the witnesses recognised Mr Walker and a piece of plastic was found at the scene which was part of the wing (sic) mirror which had been knocked off McFarlane's car.

Mr Walker was taken to Ninewells Hospital but his injuries were described as "catastrophic" and he was pronounced dead a short time later.

McFarlane's estranged wife said he did not appear to be acting any differently when he arrived at her home in the immediate aftermath of the collision..

A major police investigation was launched and analysis of the wing (sic) mirror led to a probe into all Vauxhall Astra owners in the area, and eventually to McFarlane's wife.

Miss Apostolova told the court that he called her on a number of occasions to ask if there had been further developments but continued to deny any involvement in the death.

Meanwhile, he had taken his car to a nearby garage and told them he wanted to pay for a new wing (sic) mirror and he also took away the broken parts from the garage.

Sometime later he went to another garage and asked them to replace the bumper, although he gave no explanation for any of the damage. The court was told there was a scrape down the full length of the Astra.

Detectives studied CCTV footage from the garage and could see McFarlane going in and out in the days after Mr Walker's death. When he was arrested, McFarlane told officers: "I was going to hand myself in tomorrow after I picked up my car." (YEAH RIGHT - SM)

Solicitor Douglas Thomson, defending, said: "It was clear from the outset that he was aware he had been in the collision and by the time he was apprehended the cyclist had died.

"It is deeply unfortunate, for what it is worth, that the cyclist had not been wearing a helmet, but I don't seek to use that as mitigation for my client."

Sentence was deferred for the preparation of background reports and McFarlane was granted bail.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...-left-23947389

Ads
Old April 21st 21, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins
external usenet poster

Default Scots hit and run pensioner left cyclist dying at side of road ashe tried to cover up fatal crash

On Tuesday, 20 April 2021 at 15:03:31 UTC+1, wrote:
A hit and run driver left a cyclist dying at the side of the road before trying to cover-up the fatal crash by having his damaged car repaired.

Ian McFarlane, 76, was aware he had knocked Scott Walker off his bike and caused catastrophic head injuries which killed him a short time later.

The pensioner tried to hide what he had done by taking his car to two garages to have the missing wing (sic) mirror replaced and to change the bumper which showed impact marks.

Dundee Sheriff Court was told that McFarlane spent more than a week covering up the fatal crash before he was eventually tracked down by police.

Sheriff Gregor Murray warned McFarlane - who was driving an uninsured car - that there was a "distinct possibility" he would be sent to prison.

Sheriff Murray said: "You have pled guilty to very serious charges. You have never been sentenced to a period of prison. That is a distinct possibility in this case. I make that clear to you now."

McFarlane, of Dundee, admitted striking and critically injuring cyclist Mr Walker, 43, before driving off from the scene on the A917 Elie to St Monans Road in Fife on 8 July 2019.

He admitted trying to pervert the course of justice between 8 and 17 July 2019 by failing to report the fatal crash when he was fully aware of what he had done.

He admitted instructing repair work to conceal the damage caused by ordering replacement parts and having repair work carried out at Arnotts and Arnold Clark garages in Dundee. He admitted not having insurance for his Vauxhall Astra.

Fiscal depute Lora Apostolova told the court that the incident happened when Mr Walker was cycling home to St Monans from a friend's house in Elie at around 7.30 pm

"Witnesses travelling on the A917 could see a male cyclist without a helmet approaching the area. They heard a noise consistent with a collision.

"They saw a male lying on the ground and went over. The bike was lying next to him. They could clearly see he had a significant head injury."

One of the witnesses recognised Mr Walker and a piece of plastic was found at the scene which was part of the wing (sic) mirror which had been knocked off McFarlane's car.

Mr Walker was taken to Ninewells Hospital but his injuries were described as "catastrophic" and he was pronounced dead a short time later.

McFarlane's estranged wife said he did not appear to be acting any differently when he arrived at her home in the immediate aftermath of the collision.

A major police investigation was launched and analysis of the wing (sic) mirror led to a probe into all Vauxhall Astra owners in the area, and eventually to McFarlane's wife.

Miss Apostolova told the court that he called her on a number of occasions to ask if there had been further developments but continued to deny any involvement in the death.

Meanwhile, he had taken his car to a nearby garage and told them he wanted to pay for a new wing (sic) mirror and he also took away the broken parts from the garage.

Sometime later he went to another garage and asked them to replace the bumper, although he gave no explanation for any of the damage. The court was told there was a scrape down the full length of the Astra.

Detectives studied CCTV footage from the garage and could see McFarlane going in and out in the days after Mr Walker's death. When he was arrested, McFarlane told officers: "I was going to hand myself in tomorrow after I picked up my car." (YEAH RIGHT - SM)

Solicitor Douglas Thomson, defending, said: "It was clear from the outset that he was aware he had been in the collision and by the time he was apprehended the cyclist had died.

"It is deeply unfortunate, for what it is worth, that the cyclist had not been wearing a helmet, but I don't seek to use that as mitigation for my client."

Sentence was deferred for the preparation of background reports and McFarlane was granted bail.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...-left-23947389

I don't understand why sentencing has been deferred, surely it is life in prison with no parole.