Noises upon noises.

Old April 19th 21, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Noises upon noises.

After I bled that brakes on the Felt, I put the Eddy Merckx on the stand and tried to figure out what that damned noise was. Plainly it wasn't the chain lubrication. Finally I discovered that I hadn't quite tightened the front derailleur down quite enough. Since this is a clamp on derailleur you have to be pretty careful tightening it up so as not to tear the paint off of the downtube.

This allowed the front derailleur to touch the tops of the big ring. It also somehow caused the front derailleur limit crews to move. I suppose the vibration. With this all straightened out, all of the noise disappeared. And it was nice being able to touch the rings and the chain without getting grease on my hands.

With the Eddy finished I can get back to the Felt and properly adjust the derailleurs, install the chain and it is ready to roll. I had a new set of Look SpD-type pedals and they work well.

I have a gold chain for the Felt but it is dirty and I have to wait a week for the new ultrasonic cleaner to arrive. And then I have to figure out a want to permanently seal the tub from the rest of the assembly.

I use a very powerful soap-like cleaning compound that you can get at Auto Zone. What the hell if I was using some sort of flammable cleaner and I left it overnight and it shorted itself out like it did with the non-flammable soap?

While these cleaners are fairly cheap, I can't see a difference between the Chinese and the American versions.

I do have a normal cleaned and waxed road chain so I'll put that one on.

While I'm at it, I was looking around for a Dog Fang chain guard and ran across on of those old Shimano 600 rear derailleurs.
Old April 20th 21, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, April 19, 2021 at 2:54:33 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Damn, that chain was looped over the hook over the area the ultrasonic cleaner and wax pot were but hadn't been cleaned and waxed yet. So again the Felt is delayed. The Felt was making noise when I dropped it down off of the work stand and that turned out to be that the headset was slightly loose so that was rapidly adjusted. All the Felt needs is a chain and derailleur adjustments and it is finished.

The Douglas is all assembled but there is a new problem. The Campy Record Skeleton brakes have an odd hump in the bottom of the brake that drags on the front wheel. I have a set of Athena brakes coming in today and I will see if it is the same. The wheel has plenty of clearance in the Look fork and it is only the bump in the brake that is the problem. I just tried a wheel with a 25 mm tire on it and there is clearance so that is another possible fix.

I've having fun and going for rides while John is spouting his usual hatred of everything American, Jay is denying reality and Frank is making people wonder if he is actually a living person or a automated posting program that simply contradicts everything else in the world.
Old April 22nd 21, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Tuesday, April 20, 2021 at 8:29:17 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I dropped into University Cycles in Palo Alto today. I wanted to pick up some handlebar tape and a Dog's Fang. They had this large plastic jar full of them but none of the were the larger 31.8 size. They had all obviously been removed from the older steel bikes. This must be a gold mine for Deda. I came home and ordered one from Amazon and for normal price I'll get it Thursday.

I put the Record Brakes on the Douglas and the 28 mm tires rubbed on the crook of the brake. Luckily I had ordered a set of Athena brakes to put on the Lemond after I strip off the Di2. I tried them and they will clear the 28's. I can put the Record Brakes on the Lemond since I have some Record Levers for it anyway. The Record brakes would barely clear a 25 mm tire and I do have a final set of 25's.

But there's no sense. I no longer have any interest in the higher end Campy groups since Centaur is plenty good enough. I like the Record levers because you can buy entire levers except to the carbon bike lever itself if it needs repair as a new part. But Centaur and Chorus CT front derailleurs are equally good working and a great deal cheaper. I can't tell the difference between a Record and Chorus rear derailleur.

Odd Noises Any Terrain Unicycling 2 July 26th 08 06:09 PM
noises from spokes Jim Higson[_2_] UK 16 June 9th 07 05:21 PM
Noises... fred_oakley Unicycling 8 June 1st 07 02:53 AM
Noises Chris Glidden Mountain Biking 4 June 18th 05 03:14 AM
'creaking' noises Jim Boyer General 5 June 29th 04 05:02 AM