Campy Brakes

Old April 22nd 21, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Campy Brakes

I installed the brakes on my Douglas and they were Campy Record. When I installed the wheels with 28 mm tires on them they would not turn. Even 25 mm was pretty iffy.

I had ordered a set of Centaur skeleton brakes to install on the Lemond when I take the 11 speed Di2 off of it and they just happened to come in today so I installed them and they actually have perhaps 1/4" more clearance so that the 28 mm tire wheels will fit in. Hopefully the Record Brakes will fit and operate properly on the Lemond. I am big enough that 28's make the ride and handling good enough for the road conditions here. The 25's just don't quite hack it.

I ordered another 31.8 Dog's Fang so I will take the one presently on the Douglas and install it on the Eddy Merckx. Until I get the ultrasonic cleaner in to clean the chains the assembly on the Douglas is halted. And I have no intentions of buying a new chain when I have two or three top quality chains around that are simply dirty.

I am trying to see how far the chain will go before it requires re-waxing and if you set the front derailleur up properly that appears to be a very long way. So I might simply try throwing them in the hot pot with wax in it for a second go around rather than cleaning it in the ultrasonic. Using liquid chain lubes allows dirt to move into the rollers while waxing blocks that. I've put in quite a few miles on the waxed chain and touching it doesn't get my fingers dirty and it is still difficult to put a quick link on because the chain is so slippery. So adding that Teflon to the mixture appears to really work well.
Old April 23rd 21, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, April 22, 2021 at 10:23:57 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I installed the brakes on my Douglas and they were Campy Record. When I installed the wheels with 28 mm tires on them they would not turn. Even 25 mm was pretty iffy.

What about 28mm tires did not work with Campagnolo Record calipers? What would not turn? Was the tire rubbing the underside of the arch? So the bike frame was designed with the brake mount hole too low? Or would the 28mm tires not fit through the brake calipers even with the quick release levers open? I am sure I do not have to tell YOU, but for others, Campagnolo brakes have no quick release on the brake itself. The quick release function on Campagnolo bikes is on the Ergo levers. So Ergo lever and Shimano brake gets you two quick releases for brakes. STI lever and Campagnolo caliper gets you zero quick releases for the brakes.

Old April 23rd 21, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/22/2021 7:13 PM, wrote:
[...]

It's an anomaly or vagary of dual pivot brakes.
The bridge on some is quite close to the top of the tire.

Frame designers can work around this by designing for brake
shoes low in the slot:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/27WIDE.JPG

(27mm tubular shown on a Waterford)
but they don't always consider not-racing tires.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 23rd 21, 04:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, April 22, 2021 at 7:51:47 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/22/2021 7:13 PM, wrote:
[...]

Went to the garage and looked at my bikes. Chorus and Centaur calipers. On the 28mm tire there was about 3/8 clearance above the tire crown. Cannondale CAAD7 frame and fork. Brake shoes were at the bottom of the slot.
Old April 23rd 21, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:
I installed the brakes on my Douglas and they were Campy Record. When
I installed the wheels with 28 mm tires on them they would not turn.
Even 25 mm was pretty iffy.

What about 28mm tires did not work with Campagnolo Record calipers?
What would not turn?Â* Was the tire rubbing the underside of the arch?
So the bike frame was designed with the brake mount hole too low?Â* Or
would the 28mm tires not fit through the brake calipers even with the
quick release levers open?Â* I am sure I do not have to tell YOU, but
for others, Campagnolo brakes have no quick release on the brake
itself.Â* The quick release function on Campagnolo bikes is on the Ergo
levers.Â* So Ergo lever and Shimano brake gets you two quick releases
for brakes.Â* STI lever and Campagnolo caliper gets you zero quick
releases for the brakes.

[...]

On one family member's bike, I ground away some of that lower arch to
allow a wider tire. The modification worked, and there have been no
adverse effects.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 23rd 21, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

Campy is already a little flexible so I would want to weaken them any more. But indeed, it was at the center of the tire where the brake protruded a little too deep.