Cycling is dangerous - TV ad

Old August 16th 06, 04:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Wally

Default Cycling is dangerous - TV ad

I recently watched some TV, I don't have one but when you are stuck
somewhere and its on... well anyway....

There was one ad with a mother running frantically over to help some
poor child who was injured on their bicycle and looking very worried.
The ad was for "Learn first Aid".
Has anyone seen it? Most people have a television.

Cycling must be very dangerous in order for the first aid people to use
such a scenario.

If I was a parent would I be better off just stopping my kids from
riding my bicycle rather than go to all the trouble of learning first
aid?

Old August 16th 06, 04:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

Wally Wrote:

There was one ad with a mother running frantically over to help some
poor child who was injured on their bicycle and looking very worried.
The ad was for "Learn first Aid".
Has anyone seen it? Most people have a television.

I know of some people who don't have teevees. Can you tell us what the
ad is or channel, can't comment unless we've actually seen it. As for
the generalised statement about cycling being dangerous, well, every
activity has a element of risk.

It's probably healthier for kiddies to be having fun on a bike, rather
than developing a lardarse & future serious health problems from
physically stagnating, staring at the interwebs or fiddling with the
Xbox or playstation.

--
cfsmtb

Old August 16th 06, 06:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28694

Old August 16th 06, 08:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Wally

It was the same channel as Dr. Phil, during the day.

It was either red cross or St. John Ambulance.

Old August 16th 06, 08:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Wally

wrote:
I recently watched some TV, I don't have one but when you are stuck
somewhere and its on... well anyway....

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28694

I love it.
Calista who?

Old August 16th 06, 09:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

Wally wrote:
It was the same channel as Dr. Phil, during the day.

It was either red cross or St. John Ambulance.

It's a St.John Ambulance advert for first aid courses. To be honest it
hadn't crossed my mind that it was portraying cycling as dangerous. It
only shows a kid lying next to/partly under her bike, motionless, with
her mother next to her freaking out as she doesn't know what to do; the
inference being that she's a bad mother as she had coffee/went to the
gym/whatever instead of going to a first aid course. There's no mention
of what's wrong with the girl, she could have gone into anaphylactic
shock from a bee sting, been smacked over the head with a hammer for
not sharing the bike [1] or any number of non-bike caused problems. I
think the advert itself is fairly powerful, whether or not it's
effective you'd need to ask SJA.

Graeme

[1] It happens. I speak from experience and still have the scar to show
for it :-/

Old August 16th 06, 11:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Aeek

On 15 Aug 2006 20:03:35 -0700, "Wally" wrote:

There was one ad with a mother running frantically over to help some
poor child who was injured on their bicycle and looking very worried.
The ad was for "Learn first Aid".
Has anyone seen it? Most people have a television.

Cycling must be very dangerous in order for the first aid people to use
such a scenario.

Reminds me, I get midly annoyed by the learn-to-swim ad.
"like riding a bike its something you'll never forget but it may save
your life".
Um. Cycling helps with depression. If I'm riding I'm not driving my
car which may well save someone's life.

Old August 16th 06, 11:28 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

Wally wrote:
I recently watched some TV, I don't have one but when you are stuck
somewhere and its on... well anyway....

There was one ad with a mother running frantically over to help some
poor child who was injured on their bicycle and looking very worried.
The ad was for "Learn first Aid".
Has anyone seen it? Most people have a television.

Cycling must be very dangerous in order for the first aid people to use
such a scenario.

If I was a parent would I be better off just stopping my kids from
riding my bicycle rather than go to all the trouble of learning first
aid?

Definatly don't let them ride, or climb trees, or run anywhere, or swim
at the beach, and while you were at it, I'd suggest you stop them going
outside during daylight hours, or they might get skin cancer, and
oncology is expensive! Don't let them sit in a car and get driven
everywhere either, they'll get fat and get diabeties. It's way too
dangerous out there, you'd be best off not having kids at all, they're
only going to die one day anyway.

(nice troll, btw )

Old August 17th 06, 12:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
LotteBum

On that subject, has anyone seen the APIA (Australian Pensioners
Insurance Agency) ad with the (obviously hit by car) bike?

Pensioner hits cyclist? Neverrrr!!

--
LotteBum