BBC Radio 4 Thursday 8pm - "The truth about speed cameras"

Old April 18th 07, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
al Mossah

Default BBC Radio 4 Thursday 8pm - "The truth about speed cameras"

"Simon Cox investigates the truth about speed cameras and transport
policy. Before speed cameras were introduced the number of road deaths
was falling dramatically, but this is no longer the case."

If P**l S****h or any of his so-called "Safe"-speed apologists are
consulted on this programme, I fear for the radio sets in my house.

We may need to be ready to refute.

Peter.

Old April 18th 07, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

al Mossah wrote:
"Simon Cox investigates the truth about speed cameras and transport
policy. Before speed cameras were introduced the number of road deaths
was falling dramatically, but this is no longer the case."

If P**l S****h or any of his so-called "Safe"-speed apologists are
consulted on this programme, I fear for the radio sets in my house.

We may need to be ready to refute.

You aren't harbouring preconceptions are you? ;-)

--
Matt B
Old April 18th 07, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc Brett

On 18 Apr 2007 03:02:50 -0700, al Mossah wrote:

"Simon Cox investigates the truth about speed cameras and transport
policy. Before speed cameras were introduced the number of road deaths
was falling dramatically, but this is no longer the case."

If P**l S****h or any of his so-called "Safe"-speed apologists are
consulted on this programme, I fear for the radio sets in my house.

It's worse than that. P**l S***h feels he's found a kindred spirit and probably
gave Simon Cox the idea for the program!

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/vi...a5d 42b133aab

Old April 18th 07, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman[_2_]

"al Mossah" wrote in message
oups.com...
"Simon Cox investigates the truth about speed cameras and transport
policy. Before speed cameras were introduced the number of road deaths
was falling dramatically, but this is no longer the case."

If P**l S****h or any of his so-called "Safe"-speed apologists are
consulted on this programme, I fear for the radio sets in my house.

We may need to be ready to refute.

I don't think speed is the main problem now on roads (although it is still
one of them), it's more the things that speed cameras can't do anything
about.

I'm losing count of the number of times cars drive through red lights when
I've stopped on my bike, when people fling open their doors in front of me
and yell abuse at cyclists who haven't done anything wrong. The police
aren't particularly interested in recording such things either which makes
it difficult for them to see that it's a problem.
--
peter

Cheap train tickets database
http://www.petereverett.co.uk/tickets/

Email sent to this address is generally deleted upon arrival
Visit website if you want to contact me

Old April 18th 07, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 18 Apr, 11:02, al Mossah wrote:
"Simon Cox investigates the truth about speed cameras and transport
policy. Before speed cameras were introduced the number of road deaths
was falling dramatically, but this is no longer the case."

Peter.

This is a tendentious argument and assumes there's a direct and causal
link between the two.
My own experience is that the introduction of speed cameras has meant
that the police don't bother monitoring traffic, leaving it to the
cameras to catch the speed merchants for them. What this in turn means
is that you can get away with doing pretty well anything, as long as
you're not doing it at more than 33/43/73 mph as you go over those
little white lines. Weaving across the road? Too pie-eyed to keep both
your eyes pointing in the same direction? Don't worry, the camera
won't pick that up.
I think it would be more honest to rephrase the summary, say something
like:
"While the police monitored traffic behaviour, the number of road
deaths was falling dramatically, but this is no longer the case."

Old April 18th 07, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

wrote:
On 18 Apr, 11:02, al Mossah wrote:
"Simon Cox investigates the truth about speed cameras and transport
policy. Before speed cameras were introduced the number of road deaths
was falling dramatically, but this is no longer the case."

This is a tendentious argument and assumes there's a direct and causal
link between the two.

Ah, just like the argument used to introduce speed cameras then.

My own experience is that the introduction of speed cameras has meant
that the police don't bother monitoring traffic, leaving it to the
cameras to catch the speed merchants for them.

So you think:

1. Speed cameras have /caused/ Police traffic monitoring activities to
decrease.

What this in turn means
is that you can get away with doing pretty well anything, as long as
you're not doing it at more than 33/43/73 mph as you go over those
little white lines. Weaving across the road? Too pie-eyed to keep both
your eyes pointing in the same direction? Don't worry, the camera
won't pick that up.

2. Decreased Police traffic monitoring activities have /caused/ an
increase in traffic offences.

I think it would be more honest to rephrase the summary, say something
like:
"While the police monitored traffic behaviour, the number of road
deaths was falling dramatically, but this is no longer the case."

You have jumped to the conclusion that it is the reduced Police activity
which has led to the halting of the downward trend in road deaths. Do
you have any evidence for that assertion?

Could it not equally be that speed cameras have "desensitised" motorists
to all the other potential risks involved in driving? Could it be that
cameras have forced drivers to focus disproportionately on their speed,
and neglect other more important things such as observation and
anticipation of risks? Could it even be that cameras have potentially
resulted in higher traffic speeds than would have otherwise been the
case if "normal" driving was allowed, with the subliminal message that
"any speed is safe regardless of the conditions and other road users so
long as it is within the arbitrary limit"?

--
Matt B
Old April 19th 07, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc Brett

On 18 Apr 2007 03:02:50 -0700, al Mossah wrote:

"Simon Cox investigates the truth about speed cameras and transport
policy. Before speed cameras were introduced the number of road deaths
was falling dramatically, but this is no longer the case."

If P**l S****h or any of his so-called "Safe"-speed apologists are
consulted on this programme, I fear for the radio sets in my house.

We may need to be ready to refute.

The radio show will probably be something like this article:

P**l S***h, S***S***d, and Dr Linda Mountain's regression to the mean are
mentioned. It's all been argued ad nauseum on urc.

There's an interesting suggestion in the comments section to photograph and
randomly reward motorists who drive below the limit, thus encouraging them to
register their correct address to the DVLA. Suggestion summarily dismissed by
his MP, natch.